STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 25 First ... 2345614 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    A nice feature would be a means to see all Forge items listed by a particular author, so if you like someone's work, it's easy to find their other stuff. Basically, a Profile page for authors with a link to their stuff.
    all of that is already implemented You can use the search bar to search for an author's name. And all crafters have a profile, e.g. click the crafter's name in your inventory; that will show a page with the crafter's stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Zygmunt Molotch View Post
    basically, I can only download from the search page, not from the extension page
    Yeah, it seems to be working back-to-front. If you already have the title in your inventory then the "Get" button appears on the page, if you don't have it in your inventory then the button doesn't appear in the individual page.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fact the "vault" being the default selection when creating a deliverable is why any "free" stuff currently has it set (by mistake as dev was not aware what it actually did). As for intentionally setting it? No clue of the reasoning as extensions are usually things people modify as part of the reason for grabbing them. If the author doesn't want you to modify or see their deliverables though (intentionally chose vault) that is their choice as seller. This can be especially true when dealing with art or other proprietary stuff. Your choice as customer is to ask them to change it to "data" so the .ext/.mod is available to you - live with the authors choice - or don't get that product.
    To that end, it would be useful as a purchaser to know ahead of time whether or not something you hoped to purchase is Vaulted or not, so that might be good info for FG to automatically add to the store page. Just as an example, I've been wanting to use a 2E extension similar to your token containers one for 5E. Been debating for a long time between writing my own or just buying yours and then modifying it as needed for 2E. It'd be a bummer to buy it only to find out afterwards it's vaulted and uneditable. (Note: Just using that as an example, I have this same thought process with a ton of other paid extensions by other authors too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    all of that is already implemented You can use the search bar to search for an author's name. And all crafters have a profile, e.g. click the crafter's name in your inventory; that will show a page with the crafter's stuff
    Good point about the search bar. I was thinking a link directly on the extension you're looking at that takes you to the Author's profile though. I don't have anything in my inventory right now so didn't know there was a link on there... I've just been looking at the page where you're trying to decide to buy, and there's no link from there. Is there a way to get there BEFORE you buy something from them?
    Last edited by Sterno; July 20th, 2021 at 14:49.

Good point about the search bar. I was thinking a link directly on the extension you're looking at that takes you to the Author's profile though. I don't have anything in my inventory right now so didn't know there was a link on there... I've just been looking at the page where you're trying to decide to buy, and there's no link from there. Is there a way to get there BEFORE you buy something from them?
    Not in an intuitive way, I think, the supposed way is using the search bar probably; only indirectly for example, using such links: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/2/view-profile
    That is a link to my profile, change the "2" to any other number and you get other authors. But this is of course not really suitable if you search for a specific author

Quote Originally Posted by Diamonds View Post
    Bugreport: Getting a Free item on pages after 1 will reset to page 1.

Repo:
    1. Search for bmos
    2. Go to page 2
    3. Get an item from page 2

You will now be on page 1
    This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaister View Post
    So this means that the source code of these extensions is no longer accessible then, right?
    It depends on where the crafter chose to put it. Each crafter can choose to put stuff into Data or Vault. Data will put it into modules/extensions/rulesets, whereas the Vault will put it in the Vault and encrypt it.

To that end, it would be useful as a purchaser to know ahead of time whether or not something you hoped to purchase is Vaulted or not, so that might be good info for FG to automatically add to the store page. Just as an example, I've been wanting to use a 2E extension similar to your token containers one for 5E. Been debating for a long time between writing my own or just buying yours and then modifying it as needed for 2E. It'd be a bummer to buy it only to find out afterwards it's vaulted and uneditable. (Note: Just using that as an example, I have this same thought process with a ton of other paid extensions by other authors too!)
    I pretty much state up front in my code - even the paid DMsG stuff - that anyone can look at how I did stuff and do the same things if they need to (including cut/paste) - or just modify them. I tend to just make up stuff I want for me anyway and have no idea if anyone else has done things like it before. I find its actually an advantage not knowing what other people have done so your not 'boxed in' or 'limited' in what you think can be done.

For sure I learned all my coding of extensions from scanning 5e/coreRPG code and the death indicators code I inherited and manage for free. I have no problems with anyone else using anything I've done in the same way (paid or free) and never intend to ever "vault" anything for that reason.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fact the "vault" being the default selection when creating a deliverable is why any "free" stuff currently has it set (by mistake as dev was not aware what it actually did). As for intentionally setting it? No clue of the reasoning as extensions are usually things people modify as part of the reason for grabbing them. If the author doesn't want you to modify or see their deliverables though (intentionally chose vault) that is their choice as seller. This can be especially true when dealing with art or other proprietary stuff. Your choice as customer is to ask them to change it to "data" so the .ext/.mod is available to you - live with the authors choice - or don't get that product.
    This is by design. Good security should start off less permissive. The crafter can edit it and make it open content, but you can't otherwise put the cat back into the bag if you messed up the other way. You can change it back to Vault, but meanwhile it is already out there for people who downloaded it when it was outside the vault. For that reason, the default option being Vault is best. It secures people's Intellectual Property until they specifically choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    This is by design. Good security should start off less permissive. The crafter can edit it and make it open content, but you can't otherwise put the cat back into the bag if you messed up the other way. You can change it back to Vault, but meanwhile it is already out there for people who downloaded it when it was outside the vault. For that reason, the default option being Vault is best. It secures people's Intellectual Property until they specifically choose not to.
    I 100% agree. Somehow though crafters have to be made aware what it does. I had to ask - as I had no idea when I first put my free stuff out there and your tester told me they did not see anything in the extensions or modules delivery directories. Had to research it myself to find out why that was.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thread Information