DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

PFRPG2: Feedback from our group

Hello,

I just bought the PF2 ruleset and we started using it in combination with the "Age of Ashes" AP. I cannot read through all posts here, so I just post a quick list of obstacles we encounter along the way. I assume that some of these are not even possible in FG, but cannot say for sure.

Yesterday we created characters and did a quick test combat:

- Weapon proficiency is not applied automatically when weapons are added to the inventory. Instead you have to click into the details of every single weapon and apply them manually.

- Even though all characters have reach on the map, flat-footed is not automatically applied when a character is flanked.

- The spell "Telekinetic Projectile" does not provide means to roll for damage. We worked around this by adding ammunition to the inventory and manually added damage for that.

- The aura spells "Inspire Courage" is not automatically applied around the casting character. In fact we still have to find a practical way to apply this to anyone inside the aura without manually modifying every roll or changing "Misc" fields on character sheets.

- The Longbow trait "Volley" (-2 to attack) is not automatically applied when targets are within the volley range.

- Minor cover from creatures/characters standing in the line of ranged attacks is not automatically applies.

- When the Golarion calendar is used there does not seem to be a way to make the whole party rest overnight and have the date advance automatically.

- There does not seem to be (an obvious) way to handle 2nd and 3rd attacks of NPC enemies, neither via Combat Tracker nor via their NPC sheet. This is solved very nicely on PC character sheets, though.

Thanks and regards.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; April 16th, 2020 at 09:59.

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback.

A few quick answers:

1) Yep, weapon proficiency has to be applied manually. This will be addressed at some point in the future - similar to the recent implementation of armor proficiency, but there's a lot more moving parts for weapon proficiencies.

2) There is no auto calculation of distance, cover, flanking, etc.. This is standard throughout most FG rulesets. I have thoughts for doing some basic range implementations in the future, but won't do full automation as there are too many edge cases that wouldn't apply. So, just like playing face to face, check the range (it will be shown in the target arrow) and apply any relevant modifiers, check for flanking, cover, etc..

3) Similarly, there isn't ranged sensing automation for auras. You can use the multi-target option to select all targets within a specific area and then apply the relevant action. A future release will allow for more in ability automation (i.e. double-click to initiate a save, damage, etc.) - this is currently in development.

4) For spells that don't have actions auto parsed, right-click to add a new action to the spell entry. Add action -> Add damage will allow you to add a damage entry to the spell.

5) The calendar is for the GM to manually track time/events within their campaign, it's not connected to any other functionality. If you want to do a rest, do that from the combat tracker.

6) Multi-attack penalties, and other frequently used combat modifiers, are available in the "Modifiers" window (the +/- button in the top right of the desktop). Click the relevant button before rolling for an attack or damage. You can drag these buttons to the toolbar along the bottom of the desktop for quick access.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 16th, 2020 at 15:57.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for the answers and sorry for not getting back on this earlier.

1) Yep, weapon proficiency has to be applied manually. This will be addressed at some point in the future - similar to the recent implementation of armor proficiency, but there's a lot more moving parts for weapon proficiencies.
    No problem, once known. A bit tedious with new and leveling characters that sports many weapons, but we can handle it until it's automated in the future.

2) There is no auto calculation of distance, cover, flanking, etc.. This is standard throughout most FG rulesets. I have thoughts for doing some basic range implementations in the future, but won't do full automation as there are too many edge cases that wouldn't apply. So, just like playing face to face, check the range (it will be shown in the target arrow) and apply any relevant modifiers, check for flanking, cover, etc..
    Makes sense. For new users it's a bit confusing as to what is automated and what is not.

3) Similarly, there isn't ranged sensing automation for auras. You can use the multi-target option to select all targets within a specific area and then apply the relevant action. A future release will allow for more in ability automation (i.e. double-click to initiate a save, damage, etc.) - this is currently in development.
    The multi-target option only allows for a box to be drawn, though, so you target all friends and enemies alike, right?! Sounds great that more automation is in the making.

4) For spells that don't have actions auto parsed, right-click to add a new action to the spell entry. Add action -> Add damage will allow you to add a damage entry to the spell.
    Great hint. For "Telekinetic Projectile" we might still prefer our current solution of just adding the ammunition as extra weapon entries. This allows to keep track of how many shots are left.

5) The calendar is for the GM to manually track time/events within their campaign, it's not connected to any other functionality. If you want to do a rest, do that from the combat tracker.
    Of course I do the rest from the CT, but I would like the option for the calendar to skip to the next day when a night's rest is done. This seems more like a Core request, though, and I understand now that the functionality is not present.

6) Multi-attack penalties, and other frequently used combat modifiers, are available in the "Modifiers" window (the +/- button in the top right of the desktop). Click the relevant button before rolling for an attack or damage. You can drag these buttons to the toolbar along the bottom of the desktop for quick access.
    Yes, I also saw an extension for adding Multi-attack to buttons to the combat-tracker. But that does not seem to work with PF2RPG (or at all?) anyway, so I will have to use said modifiers instead. The less quick access buttons occupied the better, though.

Thanks and regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Of course I do the rest from the CT, but I would like the option for the calendar to skip to the next day when a night's rest is done. This seems more like a Core request, though, and I understand now that the functionality is not present.
    An 8 hour rest is not necessarily overnight. One rest can be taken per 24 hours, but may not always take place over midnight.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That's right. Some next/previous day buttons would be nice in the calendar then, but that's not PF2RPG specific anyway.

More feedback: One of my players keeps having problems not being able to target enemies with his rolls. When I (GM/server) do the same attack/damage rolls from his character sheet it works, but when he does from his client his targeting is ignored. Doing a relogin to my server seemed to help today and I cannot say if this is a PF2RPG specific problem or a general problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    That's right. Some next/previous day buttons would be nice in the calendar then, but that's not PF2RPG specific anyway.

More feedback: One of my players keeps having problems not being able to target enemies with his rolls. When I (GM/server) do the same attack/damage rolls from his character sheet it works, but when he does from his client his targeting is ignored. Doing a relogin to my server seemed to help today and I cannot say if this is a PF2RPG specific problem or a general problem.
    Ask that player whether they toggled the reticle off at the small modifier box below the chat That toggle turns targetting on/off

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Ask that player whether they toggled the reticle off at the small modifier box below the chat That toggle turns targetting on/off
    Yep, sounds like this. It is reset to "on" the next time the player joins the session, so sounds exactly what the problem is.

Thanks for the hint. I will tell him about it tomorrow. It happened to the same player on two different days, but this still makes sense.

- One of our players created a Champion character (10 hitpoints per level), but then changed it to Cleric. Unfortunately FG/PFRPG2 does not correct the HP/level value. As GM I can manually change the 10 to 8, but then there is a small "-2" shown, so this does not seem to be the correct way to handle this?!

2020-04-24 23_26_52-Fantasy Grounds.png

- The Adventurer's Kit is listed as 2 bulk, despite the errata having decreased the bulk to 1.

We also wondered if there is any way to handle the backpack? It can carry up to 4 bulk with 2 out of 4 bulk not being counted (effectively 0). Currently we just switch the items to "not carried", but maybe there is a better way of handling this?

- We struggle a lot with "Inspire Courage". It is a 60 ft emanation spell that grands +1 attack / +1 damage. It is active most of the time, except for when the bard's initiative is lower than other members' initiative in the first round. We really would like to have an easy way to permanently activate this modifier with an easy click, instead of having to apply it to every attack and damage roll once it becomes active.

- Is there a way of getting descriptions for effects? In the effect window there does not seem to be a way to open description sheets. Same problem with the combat tracker and token symbol overlay. Effects also don't seem to be in the list of traits so other than searching through the Paizo PDF, web or my condition cards I don't know how to quickly reference them.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; April 26th, 2020 at 22:02.

What I do for Inspire Courage is I have a spell effect created that gives the attack/damage/save vs fear bonuses with a 1 round duration and I saved that effect to the quickbar at the bottom. Since the party is usually all within range, when the bard's turn comes up and they cast Inspire Courage I just click "target all friendly units" and then the effect. Applies automatically, and then removes itself automatically if the bard doesn't maintain it.

Thread Information