STAR TREK 2d20
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Galach View Post
    Recently, my group discovered VSee, a communication software much like Skype or Hangouts, but with a huge advantage when used in conjunction with OBS: in VSee, each camera opens a new window.

Those windows can be resized at you pleasure, can be pinned on specific parts of your desktop, and you can save where they are, so when you open VSee again, the windows will be right there on that exact spot.

When configuring OBS, you can assign that windows to a place on your layout, so each time you open OBS, VSee and Fantasy Grounds, everything will be in place as the last time you used them. Better, since each person have it’s own window, if someone enter or leave the conference, it won’t mess up your layout.

The only issue I noticed in VSee is that, when more than six people get in the conference, the cameras start to lag a lot, but this could be my own connection, because I am recording the games and also usually DMing them.

VSee can be found here (it is free): https://vsee.com/

And here are some examples of my recorded games using this setup (sorry, they are in portuguese... lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2DzNc4VVg&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4akyB39sN8

(this one don't have cameras on, but shows how I had improved the previous layout)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4TNCrA2Trs&t
    Thanks for ths tip. I'll check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Galach View Post
    Recently, my group discovered VSee, a communication software much like Skype or Hangouts, but with a huge advantage when used in conjunction with OBS: in VSee, each camera opens a new window.

Those windows can be resized at you pleasure, can be pinned on specific parts of your desktop, and you can save where they are, so when you open VSee again, the windows will be right there on that exact spot.

When configuring OBS, you can assign that windows to a place on your layout, so each time you open OBS, VSee and Fantasy Grounds, everything will be in place as the last time you used them. Better, since each person have it’s own window, if someone enter or leave the conference, it won’t mess up your layout.

The only issue I noticed in VSee is that, when more than six people get in the conference, the cameras start to lag a lot, but this could be my own connection, because I am recording the games and also usually DMing them.

VSee can be found here (it is free): https://vsee.com/

And here are some examples of my recorded games using this setup (sorry, they are in portuguese... lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2DzNc4VVg&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4akyB39sN8

(this one don't have cameras on, but shows how I had improved the previous layout)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4TNCrA2Trs&t
    I'd like to confirm that VSee is an excellent piece of software to use with OBS while streaming a Fantasy Grounds game. It's completely free. You can check my Twitch channel (link in my signature) and see my episodes. My group uses VSee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Xorn opens a second client as player, doesn't pick up a character and uses that screen to broadcast.
    That's a good idea. My channel is more to show the DM side of it but I may switch it up.

extra advice about various services.

VSee is free, for now, but it can glitch and fail to connect if someone has a wonky versin error and can't get upgraded. if you need video the two best options currently are VSee and Discord. the rest are memory hogs and memory leaks, or jsut don't work that well.

one thing about streaming on Twitch especially, unless you have partnership or 100+ viewers per stream, you will never get the best video feeds such as YT will offer. so unless you have the best internet connection and upload speeds, the best thing to set your software to is 720p30.

1080p will only have good quality to viewers for Twitch partners, for everyone else buffer badly as can be seen in the most recent FGFridays VODs.

60 FPS isn't needed for anything basic cams and FG does. it will just give problems and more buffering from the Twitch ingest servers if you are not partner.

sure you can have a buffering live stream and export a pretty video to YT, but then why bother streaming it live if the quality of the stream is gong to be so poor many people can't watch it?

for OBS, this has probably been mentioned, but you need to set your video to 1280*780 where it says Rescale for streaming. Might need to put in Advanced mode instead of standard.

There isnt a single RPG stream that would require higher than 720p30 because there really isn't that much fast movement going on. setting your output stream resolution and FPS too high, can cause dropped frames, buffering, desync, and all manners of other problems that can easily be avoided by understanding Twitch doesn't give everyone the same quality for streaming, it has to be earned on an account by account basis.
    Last edited by shadzar; September 19th, 2018 at 01:48.

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    extra advice about various services.

VSee is free, for now, but it can glitch and fail to connect if someone has a wonky versin error and can't get upgraded. if you need video the two best options currently are VSee and Discord.
    My group has been using VSee for over a year (every Friday night) with problems I can count on one hand. Discord video has been a dissapointment. Currently we are using VSee for Cams and Discord for audio as the Discord audio is cleaner.

Blog Entries
    The tutorials talk about using roll20 for webcams. I'd rather not do that. Does this change the process in a difficult direction?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    The tutorials talk about using roll20 for webcams. I'd rather not do that. Does this change the process in a difficult direction?
    I don't think so. Rob2e did a stream on streaming a week ago. It seems really simple... *G*

Check it out; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXRgq_NGKs

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The last time I tried to record a session on OBS, I only had my voice and none of my player's voices on the recording. We were using TeamSpeak and no webcams. Obviously I did something wrong.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    The last time I tried to record a session on OBS, I only had my voice and none of my player's voices on the recording. We were using TeamSpeak and no webcams. Obviously I did something wrong.
    Yeah, for the Mic section in OBS’ main working page, you also need to setup a Desktop Audio section as an option.
    That is a “if you mute it, the stream won’t hear anything” section. Without one, the stream doesn’t get anything you hear through your headset.

G’luck on the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Majyk View Post
    Yeah, for the Mic section in OBS’ main working page, you also need to setup a Desktop Audio section as an option.
    That is a “if you mute it, the stream won’t hear anything” section. Without one, the stream doesn’t get anything you hear through your headset.

G’luck on the next one!
    I tried my first streaming session of last week's adventure and did not get any audio, I don't think that it streamed (does twitch save it to your videos section afterward?). Only the recorder seemed to work but one thing that wasn't mentioned in any of the streaming for dummies, was what you had mentioned, adding a Desktop Audio section (as a source in OBS, correct?) Thanks in advance and happy gaming. As a side note, I think I need to commission an artist to create personal icons (animimated for nitro discord would be nice) and other areas so I don't run into any licensing issues. Sounds/Musics is another area of contention, I did find some royalty free music/sounds https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/soundeffects so I don't have to worry about having to edit out anything with a license.

Thread Information