DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Your Preferred Format for Video Actual Plays?

Howdy, folks, like to pick your brain for a moment.

Assuming you enjoy watching TTRPG video actual plays or recording your own games for archiving, I'm curious which format you prefer of those below (or another I missed that floats your boat).

1) Player Audio Only. Fantasy Grounds dominates the screen and maps, token movements, dice rolls, images, etc. are all seen, but players are only heard (i.e., no webcams).

2) With Video. Video is added unobtrusively, usually in a line at top or bottom.

3) Video Dominant. The players' video feeds and Fantasy Grounds are split closer to equal, giving the video much more prominence. May not even be used as a map, but simply as a shared area for inspirational/game-appropriate images.

Here's a screenshot that might make it clearer. Personally, I prefer audio only when GMing, but I'm not sure if that's because I think it's legit a better format or if I just don't want to fiddle with one more thing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheMookNet; December 28th, 2019 at 16:11.
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

A few months ago I joined a campaign where being on video was one of the requirements. Before we started playing, I wasn't sure I would like it, but I find I really like having that visual feedback. Seeing peoples faces made a difference in how I enjoyed the game. It felt just a little bit closer to being around an actual table. The format we used is #2, which I found worked well.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

I prefer properly edited videos, which means option 2 when there is usage of combat maps and images, with switches to option 3 when images are not that important for the narrative that is ongoing.
    If such advanced streams are not an option, then option 2
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    Option 3. To me a 50/50 split or so is pretty good between seeing the players and seeing the "content". I find watching the streams I did in the past (format 1) are pretty boring. Their are long periods (5-10 minutes) where nothing is happening in FG, so a video with only FG really gets uninteresting (might as well be listening to a podcast).

Having so much on video/players, something is always changing. People are (generally) dynamic. They move, the make gestures, they have facial expressions that add to the experience.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I'm with damned.

I'll go further to say I've seen some where they may be using FG, but you'd almost never know it from what's presented to the viewer. Personally this does nothing for me, especially when it's advertised as a FG stream/video/game/whatever.

I would also say that if a stream/video/game/whatever is going to be advertised as one using FG, that at the very least IMO anyways the DM/GM should be relatively fluent in actually using the software, players should nominally know their way around their character sheets, how to move on maps, how to make attacks, cast spells, whatever. I've seen a few videos where the first 45 minutes was nothing but connection problems and then audio not working... that *really* didn't show off FG in a good light to the casual viewer.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I would also say that if a stream/video/game/whatever is going to be advertised as one using FG, that at the very least IMO anyways the DM/GM should be relatively fluent in actually using the software, players should nominally know their way around their character sheets, how to move on maps, how to make attacks, cast spells, whatever. I've seen a few videos where the first 45 minutes was nothing but connection problems and then audio not working... that *really* didn't show off FG in a good light to the casual viewer.
    You should point these streamers to FG College. Or to me and I will point them to it

But yea, a sponsored stream should be competent with FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, good points. If it ever comes to it, I'm thinking option #2 -- enough video to catch 'presences' and some visual cues while playing, but hopefully not enough to be off-putting to players.

On a related note -- I'm assuming it's best to be an "all or nothing" kind of deal, all with webcams or none. Some with, some without seems super awkward.

LordEntrails -- the FGC is *awesome* and supremely helpful. Just reading the website makes me want to run a game!
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)

Having consumed some TTPRGs over youtube and podcast form I would have to say version 3. Unless the idea is to push FG, then 2. What is important with ALL of these formats is sound quality. I effing hate cheap mics and bad sound.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

I feel like my setup is decent, but the ultimate goal is one-shots with rotating players, so that's something good to keep in mind -- players showing up with awful audio.

Thread Information