DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Help: Rollable (or not) Random Encounter Table like in D&D

Hello everyone,
    i'm tryng to figure this out and coming out empty handed, i'm running a group that love to do random encounters during long trips o my adventures but, there's no easy way to build the table with all the infos like in the D&D ruleset.

So there's a more easy way to build a rollable or not encounter table in rolemaster classic ruleset and i'm very very blind or have to build a mod to have them handy?

thanks for any answer

Blog Entries
    Not at the present time.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I personally like the encounter tables in Creatures & Monsters (ICE #5802). It has all the normal encounter tables based on climate and/or terrain, but also has a set of tables based on "power".

Also, I tend to pre-roll my "random" encounters. That way I can have the map/monster/token/etc ready to go. And this allows me to "reality check" the random encounter so it fits into the main storyline/campaign. That being said, there are still completely random events/encounters.

Probably, not quite what you wanted to hear, but a way to still have a "random" encounter without slowing the game too much.
    You are not outnumbered! You are just in a target rich environment!

Thanks for the suggestion dunadan, but i had already looked at the "Creatures and Treasures" random encounters tables but are too vast for my adventures settings i do not require all those option , that's why i was searching an easier way like a rollable table D&D style to accomodate just the few encouters i need, but anyway thanks.

Going to stick with writing the table in a mod, and tryng to figure out some xml tags .

Blog Entries
    There's another thread here with some users asking for Rolemaster to be updated from a 2013 version of FG into a 2019 version. Maybe you guys should lend your voices there as well.

Rolemaster is a beautiful ruleset it's just been left behind the rest of FG the last 6 years.

Here's the discussion I'm referring to: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...FG-RMC-ruleset .
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I think what the op means is this. Classic D&D had Wandering monster tables that did not just list the Monsters but also the number appearing. say like this for example

Roll 1d8 Monster No. Appearing
    1-3 Goblins 1d4
    4-5 Kobolds 1d4
    6 Giant rats 2d4
    7 Black Bear 2d2
    8 Large Raven 2d4

What i am guessing he wants is how to set up a rollable table that when the result is determined the dice for the number appearing would be rolled automaticallty In other others how can one insert dice boxes into tables

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrifon View Post
    I think what the op means is this. Classic D&D had Wandering monster tables that did not just list the Monsters but also the number appearing. say like this for example

Roll 1d8 Monster No. Appearing
    1-3 Goblins 1d4
    4-5 Kobolds 1d4
    6 Giant rats 2d4
    7 Black Bear 2d2
    8 Large Raven 2d4

What i am guessing he wants is how to set up a rollable table that when the result is determined the dice for the number appearing would be rolled automaticallty In other others how can one insert dice boxes into tables
    I don't know this ruleset but in a normal table if you add into the row [1d6] Koblolds then the bit in brackets will roll a number and output between 1 and 6 Kobolds.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

yes basically that but seems not automatable in this ruleset seems, i've resorted to build a non rollable table.

The Rolemaster ruleset isn't currently CoreRPG based and has it's own method of dealing with tables - which are pretty specific to the Rolemaster tables and have to be coded in XML, but I don't even know if what the OP is requesting is possible in that structure.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I don't know this ruleset but in a normal table if you add into the row [1d6] Koblolds then the bit in brackets will roll a number and output between 1 and 6 Kobolds.
    that seems to do the trick. Just make sure the output is to to chat to see the actual number of whatever was encountered...

Thread Information