FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 26 of 38 First ... 16242526272836 ... Last

Just one question do you have the automatic effects mods loaded as well?

OK, I've made a new AE5EPHBClasses module as an example of what can be done to let players only have to deal with one set of links in terms of classes, spells, feats, etc. for PHB when using Aridhro's PHB supplemental data. Basically, it insures all classes have links to the proper AE PHB spells and also that it handles multiple choice items in the abilities tab (like Fighting Style, etc.) as feats that can be dropped into the abilities tab (spells can't be dropped in there to create a name) instead of having to make a manual abilities tab name entry that matches the relevant choice in AE PHB supplemental spells. If you use Character wizard then you need to have Advantages extension with the CW option turned on. This will change CW behavior to load classes, spells, feats, etc. (used in lists you get to choose from) using the first unique entry returned by DB.getChildrenGlobal which returns things in alphabetical module order. Advantages also insures if a module has "AE5E" in its name it will not process any feats into the CW list it finds in there (as they are not really feats they are feature choices that have always been hardcoded text in the past).

In order to make these class modifications distributable I had to make it have 0 text from the WOTC PHB modules - it has only links to it where text would normally be followed by the real links you should be using. Use only the links presented after that WOTC link as they have the AE PHB links (WOTC will have original ones). I don't suffer this issue with links as the original version of these AE classes I made did not have any WOTC links to the text - it was just the text. Which is not distributable.

What does this mean?

It means my players when using CW or manual classes to create characters they don't choose the wrong spells for my campaign. My players use AE data. And I tired of constantly having to check through their actions tab to insure they were pointing to the AE supplemental spells and not the WOTC dumb ones. Anyway, I got tired of explaining this to people so here is an example that is distributable on what you can do for your own players. This is only for PHB as I only use DMG, PHB, MM in my D&D 5E campaigns. If you use others - then you'd have to make your own special classes pointing to those links.

Though having feats able to resolve choices in the abilities tab and correcting flaws in the PHB class definitions for FGU was the more useful part of this effort. This includes the campaign used to create the AE5EPHBClasses module, the .mod file it created, and a picture of a few of the feats I had to make for those dumb text choices they left all over various features.

I don't plan on supporting this - or explaining it further. You can ignore this - or use it as an example on how to deal with supplemental data modules that you use.

Equipped Effects extension, Aridhro's PHB, DMG, MM modules, WOTC PHB, DMG, MM modules, AE5EPHBClasses module, and Advantages extension is what a campaign needs to play around to see what has been done.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 6th, 2023 at 05:39.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Possible bug?

The equipped effects extension doesn't seem to be updating spells added to the actions tab to the AE version, only those added via the character wizard.

Is this intended? I only bought it on the 3rd but I could have sworn it updated spells on existing character sheets before, but I was testing it in the wee hours of the morning.
    Possibly the update from the 5th causing issues?

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    Possible bug?

The equipped effects extension doesn't seem to be updating spells added to the actions tab to the AE version, only those added via the character wizard.

Is this intended? I only bought it on the 3rd but I could have sworn it updated spells on existing character sheets before, but I was testing it in the wee hours of the morning.
    Possibly the update from the 5th causing issues?
    Not able to make sense what your saying here. EE does not "select where a spell comes from". It does a name match on DB.getChildrenGlobal search like everything else in FGU. Last I checked that was local first, then alphabetical module order - taking the first "hit" it finds. What you have loaded in your campaign modules and local DB uses FGU engine to dictate what is the first matching name hit EE finds. Nothing to do with EE.

If you do it manually (pick from spell list and drop into actions tab) then whatever you choose from your spell list will be put in. Only an AE spell if you chose and AE spell to drop.

If you use raw character wizard that is FGU logic making the determination (which last I checked was hardcoded in some way? Not sure as it keeps changing and I don't use it in its unmodified form).

If you use Advantages extension to modify how CW does its search then it will build a list of first come first served based on the FGU engine DB.getChildrenGlobal order of finding things.

In no place I've described does EE itself determine what spell gets "chosen". It looks for a name match and uses first one it finds.

So based on above, I'm not understanding what your trying to tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Not able to make sense what your saying here. EE does not "select where a spell comes from". It does a name match on DB.getChildrenGlobal search like everything else in FGU. Last I checked that was local first, then alphabetical module order - taking the first "hit" it finds. What you have loaded in your campaign modules and local DB uses FGU engine to dictate what is the first matching name hit EE finds. Nothing to do with EE.

If you do it manually (pick from spell list and drop into actions tab) then whatever you choose from your spell list will be put in. Only an AE spell if you chose and AE spell to drop.

If you use raw character wizard that is FGU logic making the determination (which last I checked was hardcoded in some way? Not sure as it keeps changing and I don't use it in its unmodified form).

If you use Advantages extension to modify how CW does its search then it will build a list of first come first served based on the FGU engine DB.getChildrenGlobal order of finding things.

In no place I've described does EE itself determine what spell gets "chosen". It looks for a name match and uses first one it finds.

So based on above, I'm not understanding what your trying to tell me.
    I find it hard to respond because you are quoting things I haven't said, so I am not exactly sure where to start?

From the forge page it says
    "Item, spells, class features, racial traits, and more are automatically added to your character sheet and/or combat tracker! ".
    and
    "Sick of coding your own items, spells, feats, or racial features in Fantasy Grounds? Pick up the 5e Automatic Effects line of products on the DMs Guild, which do all this for you instantly when paired with this Equipped Effects Extension! "

If it isn't intended to replace spells with the AE ones and AE ones are intended to be manually selected with no extension interaction, it is fine as EE still does a lot on its own.
    However the description on forge suggests that it will handle it by replacing the FG default version with the AE version.

I want to make it very clear, I still believe the extension is great value without any spell interaction. But it could be made clearer if replacing spells with AE versions / populating a character sheet with AE versions isn't a feature of the extension just to avoid people like myself thinking that something was broken when they get the default FG spells and nothing updates to the AE ones .
    Last edited by lostsanityreturned; January 8th, 2022 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    I find it hard to respond because you are quoting things I haven't said, so I am not exactly sure where to start?

From the forge page it says
    "Item, spells, class features, racial traits, and more are automatically added to your character sheet and/or combat tracker! ".
    and
    "Sick of coding your own items, spells, feats, or racial features in Fantasy Grounds? Pick up the 5e Automatic Effects line of products on the DMs Guild, which do all this for you instantly when paired with this Equipped Effects Extension! "

If it isn't intended to replace spells with the AE ones and AE ones are intended to be manually selected with no extension interaction, it is fine as EE still does a lot on its own.
    However the description on forge suggests that it will handle it by replacing the FG default version with the AE version.

I want to make it very clear, I still believe the extension is great value without any spell interaction. But it could be made clearer if replacing spells with AE versions / populating a character sheet with AE versions isn't a feature of the extension just to avoid people like myself thinking that something was broken when they get the default FG spells and nothing updates to the AE ones .
    I still have no idea what your asking here or what is not working. I shall try to explain things and how they work - then you can tell me what your issue is based on that.

FGU has no concept of modules that are supplemental data where you can have the same names and want a certain precedence of what unique spell you want in your character sheet. There is only "here is a list of duplicates, pick which one you want". Obviously, there is nothing that will say - pick the first name match in from a module given my personal preference order of where it looks first. Does not exist - in code or concept within FGU. They will tell you - just load the modules you want with the data you want. Which of course, for a sequence of modules where some have unique data and others have same data you want instead of what is in the other module - well you have to physically choose which spell you want in action tab.

That is how FGU works.

EE has a requirement that for any name match in PC abilities tab (feature,trait,feat), NPC main sheet (actions, trait), or PC/NPC Inventory equipped/unequipped it needs a unique single matched name in spells or custom effects. That means it will be using DB.getChildrenGlobal FGU engine code (like everything else in FGU) to get that spell data. As it cycles through it - the first name match it finds it uses.

So what does this mean in the "world according to FGU" in combination with "the needs of the one (me)" in finding the actual name I want. Well, in my case its easy - in my SW5E data there is only one module so it will always be only one unique match. I never have an issue. In my D&D 5e campaigns I use PHB, DMG, MM and Aridhro's 3 AE matching supplements. Also no problem as when DB.getChildrenGlobal cycles through it appears its alphabetical (last I checked anyway) and will look in your local DB, then the modules in that order - first one found - match - used. I never have an issue.

Now - users be crazy is one of my Mantra's and they like to have like a zillion modules attached which have a ton of matching names. In EE that will be first come first found based on how FGU engine DB stuff works. Of course they could change that at anytime they choose so who knows in the future if that sequence you get data back will remain the same? Gist is - EE was written to handle things exactly as I described. Within the framework that FGU allows for unique selections (again if you ask SW - which I have - they will simply tell you to just unload the modules you don't want - which of course does not really work for the concept of supplemental data - only fully replaced data).

So as far as I remember Aridhro named his modules so that they would come out in the order he wanted out of those FGU DB.getChildrenGlobal - as I don't use all of them I have no idea what that attempted precedence is. And that will only work so long as FGU maintains that ordering sequence (they change stuff occasionally that breaks extensions and assumptions).

If you want a workaround - copy everything you want to use in your local DB and remove the modules. Presto - guaranteed work as you wish it.

So - now that you understand what is there - that AE modules provide all the power/spell, feats, racial features, and a bunch of other stuff that you would normally have to code yourself - but now don't - and that EE will automatically take any PC abilities tab (feature,trait,feat), NPC main sheet (actions, trait), or PC/NPC Inventory equipped/unequipped and find a name match to add into PC action tab/NPC main tab the relevant power or add in CT the relevant effect....

What is the problem your seeing?
    Last edited by SilentRuin; January 8th, 2022 at 17:28.

Are you using the Character Wizard?
    UTC +2
    Italian DM
    Italian/English Player

Thread Information