FG Spreadshirt Swag

Armor for modern combat

Hello all,

My understanding is that the Steel Pot Helmet only grants +4 Armor vs Called Shots to the Head at a 50% success rate. Where as a flak jacket will grant +2 Armor vs a normal attack and +4 vs bullets. Does Fantasy Ground automatically distinguish these attacks? If I were to shoot a pistol at a character wearing Pot Helmet and Flak Jacket they should only receive +4 Armor. And If I connected with a successful called shot to the head they would have a 50% chance to receive +4 Armor. Please correct me if i'm mistaken!

Thank you!

What edition of the rules are you using (deluxe or adventure), and are you using any settings like Tour of Darkness? The answer can change depending on what you're running.

I'm using deluxe. I'm not sure what version as I've noticed there's quite a few errata out there. I know it's not the explorer's edition. I have the supplement Ghost Ops but I feel the vests with inserts there are just too much.

Ah ok. I'm travelling for most of the day but I'll thumb through the deluxe book when I'm home, not sure off the top of my head.

I did notice I wasn't not using the version of Ghost Ops compatible with Deluxe edition, it has helped. There's still some grey area. As the Tactical Gloves and Pads(in Ghost Ops) offer +1 Armor vs Knives I'm reading it as additional protection vs knives absorbing a normal attack not just protecting the hands, elbows, and knees of my character. It also says for tactical pads "worn over knees OR elbows" Does that mean I can stack them? Sorry I do this. I heard somewhere that lawful evil is the DM who keeps track of every pound, every penny, every point.....and that's totally me.

Quote Originally Posted by LooksLikeAJobFor View Post
    Hello all,

My understanding is that the Steel Pot Helmet only grants +4 Armor vs Called Shots to the Head at a 50% success rate. Where as a flak jacket will grant +2 Armor vs a normal attack and +4 vs bullets. Does Fantasy Ground automatically distinguish these attacks? If I were to shoot a pistol at a character wearing Pot Helmet and Flak Jacket they should only receive +4 Armor. And If I connected with a successful called shot to the head they would have a 50% chance to receive +4 Armor. Please correct me if i'm mistaken!

Thank you!
    Ok back home. Deluxe works a bit differently than I remembered. In Deluxe, a flak jacket gives you 2 armour and negates up to four AP from bullet attacks. Kevlar vest with ceramic inserts gives you 4 armour against all attacks and negates up to 8 AP from bullet attacks. You don't get extra armour, you get to keep what little you have vs bullets.

Armour doesn't stack, each location has its own armour. All shots are assumed to hit the torso unless stated otherwise.

If you shot a pistol at a character wearing a flak jacket, you would get 2 armour unless the pistol had more than 4 AP, then it would reduce your armour by that much, down to zero. You're reading steel pot helmets correctly, just note that they don't have any AP negation and get pierced normally.

Does FG automatically do it? I have no idea I've only played with Adventure edition.Kevlar in SWADE is a set amount of armour ( that can be negated with AP) and it reduces bullet damage by 4 ( not affected by AP). Equipped vests for pcs are accounted for in regular shots, not sure about called shots. Npcc vests aren't accounted for but you can steal the effect code from a vest and add it as an ability to npcs.

Sorry for spelling on a tablet right now.

All good. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me answer this. I keep forgetting to check armor piercing in the FG, so I'll do that today. I know if someone is wearing vest and helmet it adds both to total armor. So I subtract the helmet value before applying damage. It's a little tedious, but the armor in the updated ghost ops makes it far more manageable.

No worries. I just noticed that in SWADE on FG, it does add equipped helmet armour against all shots like you mentioned. I never realised somehow. For quickness, on a PC's inventory sheet I'd just equip their torso armour and leave helmets/other armour marked as carried. If there's a called shot, I'll have to remember to switch which armour is equipped to handle it.

Thread Information