5E Character Create Playlist
Page 37 of 38 First ... 2735363738 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Foundry doesn't work on Linux, so I can't install it
    Since my Synology NAS is based on Linux and running the Foundry server via Node.JS it obviously does work on Linux.

or waste money buying it either. So looks like I win.
    Yes, very open approach, definitively demonstrating an objective approach

now its turning into a dice rolls thread.
    And the mandatory belittling of other discussion efforts. And people keep wondering why I have so little patience with the FG forum.

I thought I unsubbed from this thread.

Yeah I'm biased and never pretended other wise
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; March 31st, 2022 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    So it looks like they are pretty close on CPU and Memory on my system but GPU is much better with FGU on my system. Please let me know if anyone wants any more details.
    Unless FGU is running your GPU at high clocks and Foundry is running it at low clocks those 90%+ GPU load readings look bad. If using dedicated GPU measurement software and/or driver updates don't solve that then running FGU surely is better suited for your system.

Concerning memory comparisons we would need to know what you load in each system. But again, in the end your best pick is to use the VTT that runs most smoothly on your computer *and* the computers of your players.

I am currently running Starfinder on Foundry using maps with several dozens of animated lights and none of my players even mentioned performance issues. So performance is not even something I have to discuss with that particular group (no potato computers). Instead my main concern with that group would be that I cannot buy ready-made content for SF on Foundry and thus am forced to create walls + lights on the Paizo PDF imported maps. The results look very nice, but it takes my time to prepare them. On FGU I can just buy the stuff and then have to live with the facts that I cannot even make it as nice looking even if I wanted.

After a short test-run it is very likely that the group will start a Pathfinder 2 "Strength of a Thousand" adventure path, probably switching to at-the-table playing later. At this point the main discussion point will be whether they are willing to install FGU software and create accounts on top of having to learn another VTT, because for PF2 I get finished maps on both VTTs (free on Foundry). As a GM I now have the freedom to offer both VTTs, even with my reluctance to put more money into Smiteworks for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Just FYI this has been on the vote for a bit, more people can vote it up maybe it will be higher up the list. I've asked for this many times myself.
    Upvoted, despite me experiencing the FG ideas informer as a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    I suspect these are the values from your player who couldn't play FGU with less than 4 GB RAM but could play on Foundry? Because that it what started this.
    No, these are my values. Usually over the course of a session my FGU memory consumption increases well over 3 gb. My computer can handle it, even though I keep wondering why it would need that much for what it does. And memory consumption and garbage collection issues often rather point of inefficiencies and thus possible accompanying CPU load problems.

I don't really see any big difference as a player.
    Which is nice, because it then means you can concentrate on other things when deciding for your VTT of choice. I suspect that my use of Pathfinder 2 also plays into the memory comparison being in favor of Foundry on my system. This is why I suggested "Lite" versions of the big rulebooks being offered for FGU, but according to the replies I should create those myself if I need them (so more work for more money paid).

In practice our main performance issues as a whole group arise from CPU overload, with high memory consumption mostly seeming like a by-product. This usually means FGU maxing out its single core even on my strong server desktop PC and thus affecting the whole group regardless of their own PCs performance. I am rather happy that with the Foundry server running on a very weak NAS CPU we did not encounter any similar stalls yet, so again we can concentrate on other merrits and flaws with performance being out of the way.

One thing to be careful with when using Foundry: v9 improved lighting quality and performance, but on potato computers it may get worse compared to v8 (especially if the module Lichtgeschwindigkeit was used on v8). I measured such deterioration of performance on my potato laptop. So unwantedly and likely even unknowingly Foundry's performance worsened for some users.

This is where FG's Unity engine may pull ahead, depending on performance settings. Unfortunately the latter are harder to reach for users in FGU (command line) compared to Foundry (proper settings dialog).

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Upvoted, despite me experiencing the FG ideas informer as a waste of time.
    Thanks.
    I think it seems like it's a waste of time because things move so slowly, but I think overall gives them a good direction.

Recently on the FGU Discord:

Q: "Its been about a year since I last used FGU... What major changes/QoL improvments in FGU should I be aware of over the last year or so?"
    A: "A recent QoL update was with the UI side-bar. It's now streamlined and collapsible."

I think that describes the situation quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Recently on the FGU Discord:

Q: "Its been about a year since I last used FGU... What major changes/QoL improvments in FGU should I be aware of over the last year or so?"
    A: "A recent QoL update was with the UI side-bar. It's now streamlined and collapsible."

I think that describes the situation quite well.
    Yeah, just omit over 50% of the answer and give no context. Quoting random community members asking genuine questions in the FGU starfinder discord channel to reinforce the own argument - typical ... Lighting wasn't even out 1 year ago.
    I will phase out of this thread as a real discussion with Weissrolf is not possible as they spin their and others arguments as they want.

If you want to read yourself, just scrolldown:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...hnotes_v4.html

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...s_ruleset.html

Don't shoot the messenger.

Thread Information