DICE PACKS BUNDLE

buff that adds damage syntax question

Hi all

For a eldrith archer build I'd like to create an effect where you simulate Eldritch Shot.
    The current way I do things is roll the spell damage afterwards and add it but this causes some issues with resistances, crits, etc.

As such I wanted to create an effect that allows me roll damage together with my strike. At this moment for Telekinetic Projectile I use DMG: 3d6 bludgeoning + INT set to self, action for 1 round.
    This works but isn't future proof as when I'll reach higher levels the damage dice will increase. And manually adjusting all lines of code is not surmountable but I'd prefer a more elegant way.

I know that if you work from the damage effect in spells you can set things to odd levels but i did not find this in text form in the wikki.
    Is anyone able to help with this of should I just prepare myself to adjust it in the future.

Some information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post595287

And the rest of the thread has some further information.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe

Indeed I have found this and have set this up as such in the cantrip spell (for when I cast the cantrip on its own).
    However when setting up a spell action you get four choices: cast, damage, heal and effect. How to set up damage is clear. the purpose for this choice is do deal direct damage (this is the method described in the thread). However the setup I'd like to do is create an effect that adds damage to a strike. Actual example: I'd like to add the damage of telekinetic strike to my longbow strike (eldrith shot casting telekinetic strike with the longbow).
    In my mind it would be an effect with following syntax: "DMG: ODDLVL d6 bludgeoning + int" but this doesn't work. I know HLVL (half level) exists and I was hoping something similar would exist for odd lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrei123 View Post
    Hi Trenloe

Indeed I have found this and have set this up as such in the cantrip spell (for when I cast the cantrip on its own).
    However when setting up a spell action you get four choices: cast, damage, heal and effect. How to set up damage is clear. the purpose for this choice is do deal direct damage (this is the method described in the thread). However the setup I'd like to do is create an effect that adds damage to a strike. Actual example: I'd like to add the damage of telekinetic strike to my longbow strike (eldrith shot casting telekinetic strike with the longbow).
    In my mind it would be an effect with following syntax: "DMG: ODDLVL d6 bludgeoning + int" but this doesn't work. I know HLVL (half level) exists and I was hoping something similar would exist for odd lvl.
    Unfortunately you can't (afaik) combine the variable effects with dice. Meaning no "[HLVL]d6" only Xd6 or [HLVL]. There is also [TLVL] for 1/3 level, and [QLVL] for 1/4 level. You can also combine constants with the variables. like "1 [HLVL]" for "half the level + 1".

Hi Bmos

Thank you for the additional info! I didn't know the variable effects are incompatible with dice.
    I'll just have to write the number of dice and update as I go. Thank you all for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    There is also [TLVL] for 1/3 level, and [QLVL] for 1/4 level.
    Not in the PF2 ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

What's possible in effects is being expanded in Release 18, and in future release. But there's still limitations in what can be done, and dice aren't currently included in dynamic effect variables as the structure doesn't support it. But it will, hopefully, have that in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Not in the PF2 ruleset.
    ah, I had assumed it would be based on Moon Wizard's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    the biggest issue was adding it to the half dozen other rulesets using similar code/logic
    but I guess PFRPG2 didn't get it added. thanks for the correction.

We're looking into a more flexible way of doing dynamic variables.

Thread Information