FG Spreadshirt Swag

damage reduction (dr) and exact weapon name

i've been getting really frustrated with why dr effect would work on some attacks and not on others.

i put a bunch of different attacks in a creature's "attack" block to test:

claws +21 (2d6+6/19-20 plus misery) or pencil +12 (1d6+5) or unarmed strike +7 (1d8+3) or slams +19 (2d10+7 plus cursed wound) or flurry of blows +7/+7/+2 (1d8+3)

i then just dragged the different damage on to 2 separate target creatures, one with "dr: 10 adamantine" and the other with "dr: 10"

"claw" and "slam" seem to have damage types pre-coded in fg(?). but how do i assign damage type to "pencil" "unarmed attack" or "flurry of blows" because they show up as "untyped" and won't reduce the damage (although the chat feedback says "[partially resisted]" but none actually was).

i'm so tired and confused... fg effects can be soooo unwieldy.
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

You're right. There is some logic in the 3.5E/PFRPG ruleset that attempts to map NPC attacks to damage types, if none are specified. The original list was built using the Core Bestiary as a guide; and the data is located in the scripts/data_common.lua script (under weapondmgtypes and naturaldmgtypes variables).

For any other attack, the damage is treated as untyped, and must be specified.

Regards,
    JPG

To set damage for attacks that aren’t auto populated by FG use the standard NPC statblock notation. For example:

unarmed strike +7 (1d8+3 bludgeoning)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Nickademus's Expanded NPC Weapons is a great help with this, although it doesn't include pencil (what a surprise) or flurry-of-blows.
    I added a few more to this copy that adds cutlass, blows (for flurry of blows), proboscis, and vine damage types. You can also easily open the ext and add more (let me know if you need help with that). The attached version has the weapon damage types table and also a table for defining new common natural attacks (like vine or proboscis). Pencil is probably best handled by just adding the damage type to the weapon as in Trenloe's example unless that will be common for NPCs in your campaign.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bmos; October 14th, 2020 at 13:08.

ah... learned something new, and things seem a bit more wieldy now. thx, all!
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    To set damage for attacks that aren’t auto populated by FG use the standard NPC statblock notation. For example:

unarmed strike +7 (1d8+3 bludgeoning)
    this "in-line" setting for damage type is useful as i realized "flurry of blows" can apply to various monk weapons, not just unarmed strike.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by tahl_liadon View Post
    this "in-line" setting for damage type is useful as i realized "flurry of blows" can apply to various monk weapons, not just unarmed strike.
    Then it may be easier to use additionally a DMGTYPE effect, instead of having a lot of flurry of blows entries Then adjust the effect as needed (but it is probably uncommon that the damage type often changes, especially for NPCs?)

(an effect is easier to edit than a damage entry of NPCs )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Then it may be easier to use additionally a DMGTYPE effect...
    this is a good idea, however, does not setting an effect dmgtype override and apply to all npc weapons, if the npc happens to have different weapons entries available? and so i would have to toggle on/off effect per weapon used?

like for example, the monk at certain level gains "magic" for his unarmed strike (dmgtype: spell), but all other weapons may be mundane/non-magical. the effect would give all his weapons the magic type.

...or what am i not seeing in in your suggestion?
    Last edited by tahl_liadon; October 14th, 2020 at 15:17.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by tahl_liadon View Post
    this is a good idea, however, does not setting an effect dmgtype override and apply to all npc weapons, if the npc happens to have different weapons entries available? and so i would have to toggle on/off effect per weapon used?

like for example, the monk at certain level gains "magic" for his unarmed strike (dmgtype: spell), but all other weapons may be mundane/non-magical. the effect would give all his weapons the magic type.

...or what am i not seeing in in your suggestion?
    yes, exactly, it would be added to all weapons, so, you'd need to turn off the effect again, or make it expire on the next action, something like this But, yeah, all methods are more or less cumbersome, sadly I do not see any better way

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    ...all methods are more or less cumbersome...
    lol ya attempting at creating certain "a.i." is fun but... well, you already know.
    -----

Thread Information