5E Character Create Playlist
Page 27 of 30 First ... 172526272829 ... Last
    Bidmaron - I'm glad to see you got the SUCCESS. I am sorry I wasn't around to help troubleshoot with you all. I am also a traveling Mac user running Fantasy Grounds via Parallels Windows 10. I also use PureVPN and the only way I can get it to connect is SSTP.

I am curious as to why you had to set up a custom VPN in Windows 7. I didn't have to do that with the Windows 10 on my virtual machine. Do you think that is simply a Windows 7 vs. 10 thing? I have parallels set up to share my Mac's network so Pure VPN in running on the Mac side.
    Last edited by daggerfortysix; November 11th, 2018 at 12:36.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

I don't know, dagger why I had to do that. Before my current traveling stint (where I am spending 3 out of 4 weeks away from home), I never had PureVPN. I used the Shared Network setting in Parallels with 100% success on wireless networks with local routers, but I could not get PureVPN to work on L2TP or SSTP on the Windows 7 side. I need to upgrade to Windows 10 (I think the next version of Realmworks is the last version compatible with 7, so I will need to make the change), and maybe I won't need it there.

But the tech support on PureVPN is really superb, and I am overall very happy with the decision to purchase their service.

Right on, at least it works. Keep up the good fight!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm currently travelling overseas and I found it quite annoying that I couldn't access many of my US based websites because they could only be accessed from within the UK - Hulu, sections of Netflix, HBO-GO, etc. so I started looking into VPN solutions to make it look like I was still in the US. It turns out there are many "VPN Service Providers" available that allow you to "appear" as if you're in another country - essentially making you have an IP address in another country by using a VPN from where you are currently to an exit point in said country. This has allowed me to access websites and use apps as if I was in the US.

You may be asking "What does this have to do with Fantasy Grounds?" Well, I discovered that this also allows a GM to get around port forwarding issues without the players having to install software as well. Most people who frequent these boards know that most port forwarding issues can be solved by using a VPN application called Hamachi - which usually works fine, but has limitations such as each person has to install the software to be able to connect, and the free version is limited to 5 users.

Using a VPN service provider results in the players not knowing any different and the players don't have to install any software or do anything differently - FG pick up the IP address of the VPN and uses this to update the alias, so the players just connect to the alias as normal and the VPN service provider provides the "tunnel" directly to the GM PC.

The down side? So far I have only found a subscription bases VPN service provider - costing around $50-$60 per year depending on who you go with. This is where Hamachi is better as it is free for 5 connections (including the GM) I believe.

The up side? This allows you to use FG without having to mess around with port forwarding and also where port forwarding is not possible. For example, I will be running a game later today over a 4G wireless access point (EE in the UK if anyone is interested). This wireless access point has not port forwarding possibilities and so I wouldn't be able to run Fantasy Grounds as normal. But, using a VPN service provider allows me to get an external IP address that tunnels directly to my PC - it is this IP address that FG will use for connections, not need for port forwarding as the VPN provides the direct link. Only the GM has to have the VPN configured.

This would also be useful for GMs running a game from a hotel room over the hotel's WiFi and other similar locations - run a game from Starbucks anyone?

I thought people would be interested in this as an option for port forwarding issues/travelling restrictions. I'll let you know how I go when I play later today.
    I realize this is a 5+ year old post at this point, but I'm curious if this worked out for you. When I run my vpn and try "test connection" on FG it always returns "Failed" I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I'm currently traveling for work and will be living out of a hotel for a while. I was hoping to get this up and running while I'm here. Thanks in advance for any and all help you're able to provide!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCauthon View Post
    I realize this is a 5+ year old post at this point, but I'm curious if this worked out for you. When I run my vpn and try "test connection" on FG it always returns "Failed" I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I'm currently traveling for work and will be living out of a hotel for a while. I was hoping to get this up and running while I'm here. Thanks in advance for any and all help you're able to provide!
    PureVPN with the private IP option (link in my signature) is a proven solution. It also allows location shifting. I use it constantly when I travel and I used to live in China and used it there as well.

Also works using cell phone as a hot spot.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Yep, what Myrdin said.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank! I'll give that a shot. I'm currently using Private Internet Access for my VPN and they've been good, but it's not working with this. I hate to pay for another one when I have one, but if it works it works. It may be worth the switch eventually if so.

Unfortunately, it won't matter for now, however, since FG decided it wants to crash now every time I try to load a campaign and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    PureVPN with the private IP option (link in my signature) is a proven solution. It also allows location shifting. I use it constantly when I travel and I used to live in China and used it there as well.

Also works using cell phone as a hot spot.
    Thanks again for the help. While starting to buy it I was a bit confused. I have two quick questions for you.
    Do you mean the "Dedicated IP" option? I'm guessing that's right but I want to be sure as I don't see a "private IP" option. Do I also need the "Port Forwarding" option for FG?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCauthon View Post
    Thanks again for the help. While starting to buy it I was a bit confused. I have two quick questions for you.
    Do you mean the "Dedicated IP" option? I'm guessing that's right but I want to be sure as I don't see a "private IP" option. Do I also need the "Port Forwarding" option for FG?
    You just need the dedicated IP option, you don’t need the port forwarding option.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information