DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    The land of the Pecsaetan, in the Kingdom of Mercia
    Option 3.1 in RMC Spell Law (bound to be in one of the RM2 companions, but don't ask me where).

Basically the spell efficacy becomes based on the number of PPs used rather than the level of the caster. If this is combined with the ESF overcasting rules then a first level caster could throw 4 PPs at a first level spell and cast it as if they were level four (gambling with the ESF modifier on their casting roll!). Has implications for ranges, durations, resistance rolls and much more besides. I try to encourage the use of ESF in my game for these sorts of shenanigans but my players are far too cautious.

I don't remember, but I believe that the spell rolls are being changed by Dakadin... now we can scroll the spell list, but the interesting thing is to roll the spell I saw in their description in the table is (none).
    By allowing spell scrolling, in addition to making the game more fluid, it allows a window to open asking if you are going to use PP or Spell Adder with the Minimum Cost of the Level of the spell performed, with that the Power Points or Spell Adders could be spent automatically and the ability to bind the spell to a table would help with the Resolution Table, but of course that's a guess....
    screenshot0001.png

In the physical Spell Law, Section 10.1 has these options. I can't find them in the RMC Spell Law. Here is a snapshot of the actual physical page from Spell Law...

Section 10.1.jpg

Rajek

Found it in RMC Spell Law. It's in Option 3.2...

Option 3.2 RMC Spell Law.jpg

Rajek

Blog Entries
    I wonder how something like this would work....

Caster must expend 1 PP / spell level as usual.
    In lieu of rounds spent preparing to cast (and being a by-stander that whole time... unfun...), caster can expend an equivalent number of PP to forego one round of preparation. No adjustment to efficacy or level of spell cast this way, still subject to the usual rolls.

So instead of spending 3 rounds of prep time to cast Sleep V, caster can put 4 PP into it and cast the same round.
    Similar scenario trying to cast a 2nd level spell would cost the 2 PP but instead of spending 3 rounds of prep, caster could put an extra 6 PP into it.

Has anyone ever tried this? Perhaps a counter would be that you must always spend the initial round casting, so you could never reduce the prep time to less than 1 round.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The land of the Pecsaetan, in the Kingdom of Mercia
    Reduced prep is generally handled with ESF modifiers, if you use those rules. Personally I'd see PPs being directly related to the potency of the spell rather than your ability to cast it, quickly or not, though I suppose the undercasting rule might suggest otherwise. I guess it all depends how you see magic working in your game, so if it feels right then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by YAKO SOMEDAKY View Post
    I don't remember, but I believe that the spell rolls are being changed by Dakadin... now we can scroll the spell list, but the interesting thing is to roll the spell I saw in their description in the table is (none).
    By allowing spell scrolling, in addition to making the game more fluid, it allows a window to open asking if you are going to use PP or Spell Adder with the Minimum Cost of the Level of the spell performed, with that the Power Points or Spell Adders could be spent automatically and the ability to bind the spell to a table would help with the Resolution Table, but of course that's a guess....
    screenshot0001.png
    Thanks for point this out, I missed that function/roll option.

I'm not sure what is gained by being able to roll from the top of the Spell List (looks like you can't roll each spell...?) as casting (which isn't a BAR or a EAR) only requires a roll without a result =/< 2 which you can do from the the chat window. Does it open the ESF table?

@ JohnD - I've used the sliding scale of PP for EARs (I think it's in RM Companion I) and found that, for higher level characters (>Lvl 15), it started to unbalance the game. Even with the ESF it turned the Mage into a tactical nuke. If I were to use in my current MERP game I'd house rule that each multiple of PPs (6 to 12 for example) would require (depending on your INIT system) another 150 APs or another round of prep.

Regards - Rainbird
    Last edited by Rainbird; February 4th, 2023 at 15:04.

Rainbird, Magic users are true machines of mass destruction, when they manage to evolve a little, but I understand that in a MERP is very appealing. And when I think about adjustments and automations, they are to speed up and make everyone's life easier and to have the results without having to look all the time in books or references in the FG.

Thread Information