STAR TREK 2d20

View Poll Results: Choose your option (you may change this as often as you like)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUTOMATION: I would love to see more automation

86 95.56%
  • SANDBOX: I prefer a sandbox (e.g. manual)

2 2.22%
  • AMBIGUITY: I don't care

2 2.22%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Question Starfinder - Automation Poll

Since the amount of automation in Starfinder comes up quite a bit, just putting out a poll to see where the community stands on this.

As it relates to Character creation and management, thanks to the wide variety of alternate abilities and traits, it is difficult to automate everything for character creation/management. In that vein, I have a few options for you to choose from. Keep in mind that if we choose to automate more, it will be one thing at a time, and unless you see it in the patch notes, or some other future post, assume that it is still manually configured on the player's end.

For those that have voted FOR automation, if you have specific automation pain points, be sure to reply and list them out. That will help me prioritize them.

• Fix the Biohacker free skills - fixed in v 2.1.3
    • Evolivolution's shopping list of fixes
    • Automating class abilities, items, etc. onto the action tab - Under Consideration
    • Automating spells on the spell tab - Under Consideration
    • Character validation during creation - Planned
    • Automate Weapon specialization - Under Consideration
    • On ability score point buy, provide update on what is spent/left - Under Consideration
    • SFS Character Validation - Under Consideration
    • Crit Deck automation - Under Consideration
    Last edited by deer_buster; August 8th, 2020 at 20:50.

I am fine either way as long as there is a clear way to get characters made. For instance I am running into wall after wall creating a Biohacker where there should be no walls.
    See my need help creating a Biohacker thread for updated info. the free skills thing is not working for me in classic or unity. But evidently it is working for someone else.

Most important thing for me would be the whole actions and damage stuff. Charakter creation is nice to but all the stuff with attacks and spells and abilities that doesn't currently work is the most annoying for me as a GM. Cause I constantly have to mircomanage and check whether or not a Spell actually did the correct amount of damage. I'll do a post sometime soon about that, concluding all my players and me came across in our games.

I would like more automation of class abilities, such as the Solarian's powers on the actions tab.

Hi, Not sure if this goes under the catagory of automation, but most importantly, as a GM, being able to cast NPC spells from the Combat Tracker.

I believe character creation (Race, Theme and Class, Archetype, etc), should be automated and validated by FG, in a similar way Hero Lab ensures the character is correct, to avoid user error. Weapon specialization is a good example b/c it is not currently automated, and users forget to add the bonus damage manually and they are not notified to do so; of course it would be better if the system added it automatically.

When the 10 ability points are added at character creation, it's difficult to know if you've under or over spent b/c there no calculation of how many points were spent and how many are left to spend!

Also, it would be great if FG could validate a Society Character since they shouldn't have access to everything, e.g. gear-character level restrictions etc.

Are the Crit Decks going to automate conditions? I suppose this would be nearly impossible since each card has multiple possibilities depending on what weapon is being used.
    Last edited by jrock1; July 29th, 2020 at 15:49.

For me it is the Actions and Spell tabs that would help the most. As a DM I do most of the coding since my players are not as familiar. So If they choose a Feat i add the condition to the Actions Tab. I have been doing what a lot have been doing and creating a Feats section, Class section. In those sections I will add the affects. (trick attack, mobility as example) There have been some Characters created on the forums with the abilities already programed and some other threads on programing all of them. Would be just nice to have that included. I also create a section called Items: in that I add the coding for MK healing and stuff like that not sure on automating that.
    But anything to help my players since a lot of them are new. (it took a little training to let them know to look in the others tab for there class abilities as an example)
    5E came out with a character Wizard maybe down the road something like that. Maybe work with the Pathfinder 2e group since we are so similar.

Better and more seamless automation of class abilities would be clutch. Primarily (and I only focus on these because these are the ones that come up in my game) being able to use Solarian Solar Manifestations and Revelations, Envoy abilities like Get Em, and Operative abilities like Trick Attack as actions during combat. I know that there are work arounds now and I have been able to manually make it work for my players, but it can be frustrating when so much else has simple drag-and-drop functionality that some of the most commonly used and needed aspects of the players' classes require significant work under the hood before they can even use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitus View Post
    Envoy abilities like Get Em, and Operative abilities like Trick Attack as actions during combat. I know that there are work arounds now
    Not sure what you mean by workarounds for those? They are actions that you setup, just like every other ruleset, and each have been covered pretty well here on the forums. Get 'Em is a tag you apply to an enemy and the bonus to hit is applied to you and your allies (we always had that one active in the combat tracker when we have an envoy playing, so that whenever the envoy applied Get 'Em, it happened automatically). Trick attack is a skill check action against the enemy's CR+20, if that succeeds, you apply Flat-footed effect to enemy, then roll your attack. If that hits, you apply the damage die effect to yourself and roll the attack. FYI, that's not the kind of ruleset automation that is likely to ever be added to the ruleset as that is handled already by actions that you setup on your sheet.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Not sure what you mean by workarounds for those? They are actions that you setup, just like every other ruleset, and each have been covered pretty well here on the forums. Get 'Em is a tag you apply to an enemy and the bonus to hit is applied to you and your allies (we always had that one active in the combat tracker when we have an envoy playing, so that whenever the envoy applied Get 'Em, it happened automatically). Trick attack is a skill check action against the enemy's CR+20, if that succeeds, you apply Flat-footed effect to enemy, then roll your attack. If that hits, you apply the damage die effect to yourself and roll the attack. FYI, that's not the kind of ruleset automation that is likely to ever be added to the ruleset as that is handled already by actions that you setup on your sheet.
    Right. That's how I do it now. I guess what I mean by "better and more seamless" would be for instance that the Envoy player could target the enemy and apply Get 'Em and the hit bonus tag would automatically apply to themself and their allies. I run a pretty large group and it can really jam up the flow of a combat scenario when the Envoy has to individually apply the tag to all 7 of their allies before resolving the next action. Unless there is an easy way to manually select all allies and apply the tag to everyone at once? If so I haven't figured it out, but it'd be nice.

What you're saying about Trick Attack makes sense. I'm not too worried about that one, as it doesn't really disrupt things during play.

Thread Information