DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Any CCG players here?

I have been a Magic the Gathering player since highschool. Then I moved on to Hearthstone and now I am addicted to Legends of Runeterra. Anyone here who plays aswell?

I played Magic for a long time in college, I was actually far too good at trading and playing for ante, such that I actually paid my tuition by selling cards for money. Eventually I sold my collection to get the funds to move to Hawaii where I live today. Still love the game but it's been years since I played. Tried hearthstone, but never could enjoy the dominant role luck had in it (I played early on, dunno if it is still true in the more evolved modern version). Online I was much more interested by Shadow Era (https://www.shadowera.com/) which had a level of complexity much closer to Magic. Clearly their budget was lower than Blizzard's so the graphics etc were never up to hearthstone's caliber, but the play was so much more engaging.

Overall though, my absolute favorite card game ever was Middle Earth: The Wizards (also confusingly called the Middle Earth Collectable Card Game") by the defunct Iron Crown Enterprises. This is not to be confused with the absolutely crap "Middle Earth Collectible Card Game" (yes, this has the exact same name) that used photography from the movies. METW used art by Angus McBride (rightly famous for his historical art books https://ospreypublishing.com/angus-mcbride & https://fineartamerica.com/art/angus+mcbride) and other painters. This one... there is nothing else I've ever seen like it.

Totally bombed and went bankrupt because it takes over two hours for a single round to play out. It is a full on RPG in card form. Amazingly well balanced. I could talk about its virtues for days, not least of them the fact that the "best" cards all came with a drawback where if your opponent defeated it, that helped them win and for every rare there was a common that just said "nope" without defeating it. You could play with three people and it never devolved into a two-on-one gang up. But my favorite thing about it, is that I still use it today for my overland travel in D&D. Their system of tracking what types of territory you move through determining what kinds of things you might encounter is fantastic, simple, and super fast to run at the game table. It also puts the choice into the player's hands, not just some random encounter roll. They choose the path and the associated risks. I just wish the cards and art weren't all trademarked thus stopping me from selling it, lol.
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; July 8th, 2020 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    I played Magic for a long time in college, I was actually far too good at trading and playing for ante, such that I actually paid my tuition by selling cards for money. Eventually I sold my collection to get the funds to move to Hawaii where I live today. Still love the game but it's been years since I played.
    Magic Arena is pretty good if you're after a fix. It really is possible to play for free, although you have to do a LOT of grinding early on to do so. But it's actual MtG, and the client is more streamlined than Magic Online (which is still running in parallel).

Quote Originally Posted by OverCriticalHit View Post
    Magic Arena is pretty good if you're after a fix. It really is possible to play for free, although you have to do a LOT of grinding early on to do so. But it's actual MtG, and the client is more streamlined than Magic Online (which is still running in parallel).
    I have friends who play and I watch them. I don't want to flirt with seller's remorse. If I got back into it I'd always be thinking "man if I hadn't sold al my best cards and only sold the bare minimum, I'd have this and that and that". Instead, I'm like "I get to live in Hawaii, man Magic was good to me". Emotions are weird.

I'd second "Magic the Gathering: Arena" if you want to scratch that Magic itch. It really is a good implementation as compared to Magic Online. The hidden first double draw really helps give better quality games than face to face. I'd rather play casual games with my nephews on MTGA than face to face.

To the OP I played Magic when it first came out pretty hard quit playing later and I played Hearthstone but got out of it when Blizzard kept dribbling out changes to the Evergreen set instead of just changing them all at once. After that I played MTG Arena when I felt that CCG itch but with COVID I got too busy and quit playing.

I did take the time to play some Legends of Runeterra. I play League (love ARAM) so I played some Beta and did the Launch stuff. If feels like the next improved version of Hearthstone with a couple of improved twists. You have some interaction with your opponents like Magic instants and interrupts but simplified - but man I kept screwing up the whole attack every other turn at first

I like Expeditions. I am a bit concerned about how easy it is to get cards because if everyone has full sets then the best decks will be "solved" in any type of competitive play and the meta will get really stale fast. If that will be a problem or not will be determined how they do Card Rotations. I will say I am disappointed in the Hero cards, I had hoped they would be the type of card you build your deck around and while that's true for a few of them - it's not for most of them. The didn't have to be individually powerful, they just need to enable a style of play maybe for just cards from the Hero's region. It feels like a lost chance to add deck diversity. Still I haven't played recently.

Thread Information