DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 22 First ... 91011121321 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by phloog View Post
    I'm using FG primarily as the character repository - we don't use it at the table. So we end up managing the characters in FG and then WRITING them down on paper sheets.
    If your primary use is as a character repository, then you've chosen the wrong tool. FG is designed as a virtual tabletop for online play, and works extremely well as that. For a character repository, I'd recommend PCGen - it has more data checking than FG, and a variety of printing options.

I use FG to run a couple of online games, and also use PCGen to store copies of the characters in - this gives me a way of double-checking the calculations when levelling the characters, and also allows easy printing for our occasional face-to-face sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by phloog View Post
    Sadly, this is exactly why I moved away from FG and went to D20Pro and HeroLab...the ONLY reason I came back was that right now FG is the only 5e game in town.

Maybe as a non-programmer I'm not getting the complexity, but why can't FG supply a printable character sheet with their rule sets? No one knows their file layouts better than they do. I'm using FG primarily as the character repository - we don't use it at the table. So we end up managing the characters in FG and then WRITING them down on paper sheets.

If Fantasy Grounds had a nice, elegant way to print, I'd be with them for a long time...right now I'm just biding my time until HL or D20Pro gets a full license then I'm gone. Harsh talk, I realize, but the clunkiness of print was my problem with FG for YEARS.
    Indeed, you are using the wrong tool. FG never has been a character management tool and whilst it may well have more facilities when the switch is made to Unity I don't ever see it being one. The core of the program is to allow play over a virtual table top and although some users no doubt use it with all of their players in the same room the majority by far use it for the purpose it is designed for. Thus the need for printing for the majority of cases is zero.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Callum/Zacchaeus - - I agree 100%...this is absolutely the wrong tool for me, which is why until they were the only full 5E game in town, I hadn't even installed/launched FG on my new computer.

IF HL added a full 5E license, or if D20Pro did the same, I'd stop using FG immediately. But luckily I found that nice site that takes FG XML and does a passably good sheet.

Hi there,
    I always use the fg xml to pdf converter, but last night it gave me this error

Could not create character. Error: Illegal characters in path. Report File: AdventureLeagueCharacterSheet2.rpt

I need to print my updated character for the next game ^^' Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mabtheevil View Post
    Could not create character. Error: Illegal characters in path. Report File: AdventureLeagueCharacterSheet2.rpt
    The clue's in the error message - "illegal characters in path". What is the file name of the FG XML? What is he name of the directory it was saved in? There will be some characters in either of these that is causing the error. Save the FG XML to something basic, for example: C:\temp\pc.xml and try using that through the character sheet to XML web page.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The funny thing is that I always managed to print the character from that directory/xml name. I store my exported files in a desktop folder and I can't understand why this time it doesn't work.
    Attachment 13052

I've tried to copy in a different location and it's still not working.

Is the report file AdventureLeagueCharacterSheet2.rpt generated? Is there any error indication in that file?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Nope it's just a waring in the page, no file is generated

Quote Originally Posted by mabtheevil View Post
    Nope it's just a waring in the page, no file is generated
    It is fixed, I changed it a few weeks ago to save the PDF as the character names, you had double quotes in your char name which is a invalid character for file names. I now strip invalid characters, so your good to go.

Dave

Yay!

TYVM for your patience <3

Thread Information