STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Dice features

A couple more pictures with an RM dice roll working (1d100e>96o<5) and an L5R roll (6d10e10r1k4). Need to get feedback from RM crowd as to whether dice should be separate to show each roll, or collapsed into a single die icon total.

Next up is getting the success/fail sets working, per die mechanic mode limits (i.e. reroll only once) and supports curly brackets to define sets across dice.

Cheers,
    JPG

Looking for input on dice notation for the default command-line die roller.

Every single source I've reviewed has their own die notation, and their own quirks. And I've reviewed about a dozen different dice rollers and dice notation systems.

I've also noted the behavior I expect for each notation, which goes into how FG handles those die and dice set mechanics.

I'm thinking of changing the open-ended low to something else (maybe just 'l'), and not sure what to use for sort (sa?, sd?, but overlaps with success)

Dice phrase
    • NdX = roll N dice with X sides

Dice Phrase Suffixes (Modes)
    • e = explode (assume max roll trigger if range not specified) = set green background, add another die of same type to the roll
    • ! = compound (assume max roll trigger if range not specified) = set green background, reroll same die and show result as single die icon with sum of all triggered rolls
    • p = penetrate (assume max roll trigger if range not specified) = set green background, reroll same die and show result as single die icon with sum of all triggered rolls (but triggered rolls subtract one each)
    • r = reroll (assume min trigger) = set die to translucent, drop this die from total, and add another die of same type to the roll
    • o = open-ended low (assume min trigger) = set red backgrounds, add another negative die of same type to the roll, and invert the range on subsequent checks (i.e. becomes explode in reverse)

Die Mode Suffixes
    • # = Only trigger on the specified number
    • ># = Trigger on this number or higher
    • <# = Trigger on this number or lower
    • l# = Limit mode so that it can only trigger a number of times

Dice Set Suffixes (Modes)
    • dY = drop = Drop Y dice from the set (assume zero if Y not defined) (dropped dice are grayed out)
    • kY = keep = Keep Y dice from the set. (assume zero if Y not defined) (dropped dice are grayed out)
    • s = success = If die within success range (assume max roll if not defined), then set the die value equal to the success value (or 1 if not specified).
    • f = failure = If die within success range (assume max roll if not defined), then set the die value equal to the success value (or 1 if not specified).
    • ? = sort (ascending)
    • ? = sort (descending)

Dice Set Mode Notes
    • Any dice set suffix can be applied to a dice phrase, or any set of dice surrounded by curly brackets.
    • Only the first matching success or failure mode is used per die, remaining success/failure definitions are ignored.
    • If success/failure mode defined for a set, all rolls in the set not matching success/failure criteria get a value of zero.

Dice Set Mode Suffixes (Success/Failure)
    • # = Only trigger on the specified number
    • ># = Trigger on this number or higher
    • <# = Trigger on this number or lower
    • v# = Specify value to assign success/failure die (assume 1 if not defined, failure values are inverted (i.e. -1 by default))

Thoughts on notation and behavior?

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Need to get feedback from RM crowd as to whether dice should be separate to show each roll, or collapsed into a single die icon total.
    I can't think of a situation when you'd want to separate each roll out for a RM open ended roll. It looks really good what you have there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

A couple more pictures with an RM dice roll working (1d100e>96o<5) and an L5R roll (6d10e10r1k4). Need to get feedback from RM crowd as to whether dice should be separate to show each roll, or collapsed into a single die icon total.
    I think the way you have it in the RM examples is how I would like to see it work. Each individual roll can be seen on the dice graphics with the total show for determining success/failure. It matches what currently happens in the RMC ruleset.

Damned,

Yes, that's the display after the 3D dice roll. (Including the new 0-9 die for percentile rolls)

Trenloe,
    That is the split out rolls for RM you are seeing. If they were cumulative, there would only be one die icon per roll showing the cumulative roll.

That makes me wonder if every die mechanic with causes more dice to roll should have a cumulative vs expanding option? Right now, only explode/compound fit that model of choice. Maybe it makes sense for reroll and open-ended low to have compound vs separate option as well.

Cheers,
    JPG

Trenloe,
    That is the split out rolls for RM you are seeing. If they were cumulative, there would only be one die icon per roll showing the cumulative roll.
    Oh right, sorry - I wasn't getting exactly what you were asking. I don't actually think there is any specific need for it mechanically, but I think virtually everyone would like to see the individual rolls displayed so you know how they all hang together - especially if multiple open ended rolls were triggered in the same roll.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The main difference I think is for keep/drop. Then explode vs compound is very important.

Cheers,
    JPG

As far as displaying or making it easier to repeat complex die strings (and maybe even text macros), why not a field/window of customizable buttons. The button name can be blank and allow a short descriptor. You can edit what the button sends to chat...a /slash command, a text string...maybe a text string that contains an in-line dice roll? Are those possible? Just some thoughts. 5 or 6 buttons in this button field should be plenty and not take up a lot of additional space if their names are limited to 25 characters or so. The roll/text could be launched with a simple click of a button.

Thread Information