5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    ZeroTier looks simple and free. And it's open source, if that means anything to you.

My problem with these, is they require installing a VPN client. At least one of my players is using a work-assigned laptop, and corporate environments frown upon using unapproved VPN clients, as a general rule. The SSH Tunnel does require PuTTY, but it's not as deeply integrated into the system as a VPN Client would be (adding virtual network cards, Etc).

The SSH Tunnel option on the list you linked to is pretty similar, but I'm running the Virtual machine internally on my network suing vmware, as opposed to in Amazon's cloud.

Blog Entries
    PureVPN is what I use (with dedicated IP option), and it does not require the players to install anything. Totally transparent to them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartl42 View Post
    That's a paid option, right?
    Yes

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

@Copernicus219,

I'm reaching out to the developers who built the networking system to see if they have some ideas. Basically, it seems like something in between your machine and the network matchmaking servers is blocking or killing one of the connections required for the networking system to work.

I'm not seeing any other reports like this right now (with an admittedly small sample size), so my first guess is that it's something related to the network setup or router that is causing the issue. I'm just not sure if it's something that can be fixed by a setting or whether it requires something else.

I'll be back with more questions as I investigate. Please let me know if you figure out anything on your side.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @Copernicus219,

I'm reaching out to the developers who built the networking system to see if they have some ideas. Basically, it seems like something in between your machine and the network matchmaking servers is blocking or killing one of the connections required for the networking system to work.

I'm not seeing any other reports like this right now (with an admittedly small sample size), so my first guess is that it's something related to the network setup or router that is causing the issue. I'm just not sure if it's something that can be fixed by a setting or whether it requires something else.

I'll be back with more questions as I investigate. Please let me know if you figure out anything on your side.

Regards,
    JPG
    This is easily reproduced, and I'm happy to help diagnose.

Also, Apparently some users are having luck asking AT&T to swap their router for an Arris BGW210-700.

Thanks. I actually have AT&T too; and I was able to recreate the issue after about an hour of letting FGU sit open at my place. So, hopefully, I'll be able to get some feedback from the network developer on how to pinpoint the root cause better.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Thanks. I actually have AT&T too; and I was able to recreate the issue after about an hour of letting FGU sit open at my place. So, hopefully, I'll be able to get some feedback from the network developer on how to pinpoint the root cause better.

Regards,
    JPG
    I really appreciate you taking the time to look into the issue! I'm sure the amount of people that are going to run into this problem is small, especially when it's a GM only issue. If there is a way to correct, it would prob work for FG classic as well. Thanks!!

Edit: I'm trying to run a session every week so I'll let you know if anything changes

Quote Originally Posted by stewartl42 View Post
    Were you running a Cloud game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus219 View Post
    Yes
    I'm like you, I thought a cloud game would change that behavior. As I remember, it was the volume of GET requests to fetch game content, but I suppose that is still hosted on the GM's machine, not on the cloud Broker? Maybe a dev can answer.

That doesn’t appear to be the issue here; but I’ll keep that in mind. The matchmaker connection is dropping while the game is apparently idle. So, I need to get more information on what is happening internally. I’m hoping the network library developer has some ideas to dig in.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information