STAR TREK 2d20
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678

Thread: FGU Memory Leak

Quote Originally Posted by BushViper View Post
    Heh. Christ, it's a lost cause, but I suppose I should thank you for reiterating one of the fundamental points of my post.
    Errr, Moon Wizard actually wrote several times in his posts that they look at that, here FoW was mentioned; but you seemingly chose to ignore all of that. The advice to trim things down is first of all an advice until the performance is improved, to have something playable; and second, there will be always some soft limit of performance somewhere, also after performance improvements. Keeping things smaller than planned of course always helps, one could rephrase it as "do not overdo it" to avoid hitting limits, or "know your computer system(s) and its limits"

Saying "to keep things small" does not exclude "performance improvements", both things will always be important for performance; the former is something the user can do, the latter the devs which then helps to lift the former. But these are not mutually exclusive, so, I do not understand why you see that one statement as proof for that performance won't get improved?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Errr, Moon Wizard actually wrote several times in his posts that they look at that, here FoW was mentioned; but you seemingly chose to ignore all of that. The advice to trim things down is first of all an advice until the performance is improved, to have something playable; and second, there will be always some soft limit of performance somewhere, also after performance improvements. Keeping things smaller than planned of course always helps, one could rephrase it as "do not overdo it" to avoid hitting limits, or "know your computer system(s) and its limits"

Saying "to keep things small" does not exclude "performance improvements", both things will always be important for performance; the former is something the user can do, the latter the devs which then helps to lift the former. But these are not mutually exclusive, so, I do not understand why you see that one statement as proof for that performance won't get improved?
    Fully agree with this post, SW clearly knows there is an issue and are working to solve it. I'm one that has a ton of EXTs running and I can choose to run without them or have it slowed down a bit and run with them.
    The exts also are improving, not only are they improving but SW is working to give EXT writing more tools to work better and do things in a better manner often.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and things are getting better. If you play FGU without any exts, it is really smooth, I have to say its not bad (just don't load up 200 spells on a PC sheet and expect to use the action tab =P) its really nice.
    I've gotten to the point myself I can't live without many of the EXTs I use. Some do cause the game to slow down a bit, however, the option is there to have it.
    On it's base FGU is still really fast and smooth and highly useful to jump in (after learning how to use FGU) and play D&D with a great deal of automation added to vanilla FGU. I think the key is not to despair and have hope that its coming along and give it time, report issues, give ideas and keep on going.
    FGU is still so much better than FGC, lets not even talk about compared to other VTTs how much better FGU is.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    FGU is still so much better than FGC, lets not even talk about compared to other VTTs how much better FGU is.
    So much this. I keep checking in with Foundry and their progress. You still need like 10 modules to even come close to the level of automation FGU provides out of the box. Then to get all your 5e content in there you have to either manually handjam it or use a module to import content from another source like DnDBeyond. And FWIW I noted that the performance of Foundry on my MacBook Pro was sluggish beyond use on my Ultrawide monitor, which FGU handles just fine. So- I’m sticking to FG.

In any case I came back to report on my session this night. I noticed that the same lag came back after 3 hours of play. It was quite constant, and not to do with the autosave. I accidentally quit FG in the middle of the session while trying to get open Activity Monitor (lol.). But I re-opened the app and we continued for another hour.

I will note that as I expected, after closing and re-opening the application, all the lag vanished. So, my question is: Is this still indicative of FoW issues? Does FoW reset on close of the application?

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    In any case I came back to report on my session this night. I noticed that the same lag came back after 3 hours of play. It was quite constant, and not to do with the autosave. I accidentally quit FG in the middle of the session while trying to get open Activity Monitor (lol.). But I re-opened the app and we continued for another hour.

I will note that as I expected, after closing and re-opening the application, all the lag vanished. So, my question is: Is this still indicative of FoW issues? Does FoW reset on close of the application?
    Are you using the live channel or the test channel?

There is now a public beta test that includes some changes for performance improvements, information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...elease-v4-1-14 It might be worth you trying this for you next session?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Are you using the live channel or the test channel?

There is now a public beta test that includes some changes for performance improvements, information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...elease-v4-1-14 It might be worth you trying this for you next session?
    Interesting! I could try that next time, I use the live one to ensure I’m on stable builds.

Thread Information