Starfinder Playlist
Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last
    In that case the FGC code also changed, so, the relabelling also is going to happen there The ruleset code is mostly similar for both versions, you can see the exceptions in the code when there is for example an if-clause checking whether it is FGU, something like if UtilityManager.isClientFGU() then

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    In that case the FGC code also changed, so, the relabelling also is going to happen there The ruleset code is mostly similar for both versions, you can see the exceptions in the code when there is for example an if-clause checking whether it is FGU, something like if UtilityManager.isClientFGU() then
    Not sure what that has to do with Extensions no longer being compatible because they have to change - but sure - I suppose old FGC extensions will be fine (shocked if that is not true). But that's not what I'm talking about. If you don't change your FGU extension it will explode (if you use the changed functions in it). And if you do change it then it won't work in FGC unless you make it work. And for me as my extensions are only supported in Unity per what I've told people - that will mean keep your old extensions if they worked in FGC as I never supported that.

Application still working in FGC - and old extensions still working in FGC - has nothing to do with changes to make them work in this new version FGU - just FYI. Or so I understand it from having to actually make those changes for TEST already. Maybe Moon Wizard can clarify - that would be good.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 6th, 2021 at 19:13.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with Extensions no longer being compatible because they have to change - but sure - I suppose old FGC extensions will be fine. But that's not what I'm talking about. If you don't change your FGU extension it will explode (if you use the changed functions in it). And if you do change it then it won't work in FGC unless you make it work. And for me as my extensions are only supported in Unity per what I've told people - that will mean keep your old extensions if they worked in FGC as I never supported that.

Application still working in FGC - and old extensions still working in FGC - has nothing to do with changes to make them work in FGU - just FYI. Or so I understand it from having to actually make those changes for TEST already. Maybe Moon Wizard can clarify - that would be good.
    With that I wanted to say that the changes you were speaking about need to be done for things in FGC and FGU; so, of course one needs to update FGC extensions, too In your answer to Valarian you wrote "[...] as it will likely not have these changes", and I just answered to that, because that is not completely true, certain changes are also done in FGC Only purely FGU related things like the new asset window etc. (which changes in the next patch) are of course not for FGC, but that is also not part of the code accessible for us. Whether or not extensions etc. work in both, FGC and FGU, is still determined by the same things, roughly (For example my extensions work for both, I only needed a different code for the blood overlays etc. because image stuff is of course different in both version)

But I may have misinterpreted your answer to Valarian in that part, maybe you just meant your extension and not the overall patch of SmiteWorks. (I read the "it" as referring to FGC and its code changes)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; February 6th, 2021 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    With that I wanted to say that the changes you were speaking about need to be done for things in FGC and FGU; so, of course one needs to update FGC extensions, too In your answer to Valarian you wrote "[...] as it will likely not have these changes", and I just answered to that, because that is not completely true, certain changes are also done in FGC Only purely FGU related things like the new asset window etc. (which changes in the next patch) are of course not for FGC, but that is also not part of the code accessible for us. Whether or not extensions etc. work in both, FGC and FGU, is still determined by the same things, roughly (For example my extensions work for both, I only needed a different code for the blood overlays etc. because image stuff is of course different in both version)

But I may have misinterpreted your answer to Valarian in that part, maybe you just meant your extension and not the overall patch of SmiteWorks. (I read the "it" as referring to FGC and its code changes)
    Oh I misinterpreted your answer also I think. No, I'm pretty sure these particular changes were only for FGU - but I could be wrong in that. I find it hard to believe they would disrupt the old product is why. And both deliveries (updates) are separate code deliveries even though they do share some of the same code. Otherwise, they would disrupt the old product and all its extensions. Which I don't think is something they would do. I do know that this will disrupt extensions in FGU - but assumed FGC stuff would be fine. EXCEPT where the same extension code is used for both.

Again - speculation on my part about FGC remaining unaffected. Will have to get SW person to state clearly what is what on that subject.

After I spent some time on the DEV branch, I think that the move to completely disable the icon-based sidebar is wrong. VtM 5e, Symbaroum, Savage Worlds don't feel the same during play and prep. Call of Cthulhu has custom theme that also will be severely impacted.

I appeal to at least reconsider and allow for ruleset authors and maintainers to have a "switch" to use one or the other.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Oh I misinterpreted your answer also I think. No, I'm pretty sure these particular changes were only for FGU - but I could be wrong in that. I find it hard to believe they would disrupt the old product is why. And both deliveries (updates) are separate code deliveries even though they do share some of the same code. Otherwise, they would disrupt the old product and all its extensions. Which I don't think is something they would do. I do know that this will disrupt extensions in FGU - but assumed FGC stuff would be fine. EXCEPT where the same extension code is used for both.

Again - speculation on my part about FGC remaining unaffected. Will have to get SW person to state clearly what is what on that subject.
    As this has to do with ruleset code and not the engine itself, both FGC and FGU extensions would have to be looked at for compatibility with the new code being introduced. The Desktop and Actor Manager code is shared between the two versions of FG.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    As this has to do with ruleset code and not the engine itself, both FGC and FGU extensions would have to be looked at for compatibility with the new code being introduced. The Desktop and Actor Manager code is shared between the two versions of FG.
    Then based on what I've seen in FGU Test Server - anything using ActorManger2 calls will go BOOM until fixed.

Then based on what I've seen in FGU Test Server - anything using ActorManger2 calls will go BOOM until fixed.
    Correct as the base ruleset code changed it to something else. The version of FG being used doesn't detract from that as both use the changes being implemented.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

@SilentRuin, @Kelrugem,
    As superteddy57 mentioned, the ruleset code changes are exactly the same for both FGC and FGU. If an extension is updated to work with the changes, it should work in both.

@Valyar,
    As I mentioned in my e-mail, there are no plans to support a bifurcated graphical/non-graphical menu system; and this change was one that was heavily debated. Also, as mentioned, with the advent of these changes, this cuts down drastically on graphics needed to implement rulesets, themes and new record types. The latter is more important than the former. It can already be seen that almost half our rulesets were already moved or moving to textual button labels for these exact reasons. This isn't something that's going to be changed through debate; because it impacts efficiency, maintainability, and time-to-market for DLC and themes.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I get the arguments for each and while there are some gorgeous sidebar icons I have used the Text versions for as long as its been available for the reasons Moon Wizard mentions - ease of creation and maintenance.

Thread Information