FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Admixture Wizard - Versatile Evocation

Hi guys! Im playing pathfinder with a Admixture Wizard, with Versatile Evocation... Im setting up my character so we can play as fast as possible, with most stuff automatized... I didnt want to build 4 spells for each damaging spell i have, either one of them being cast as a different element...

I could add a damage type to the spell with an effect like DMGSTYPE: cold , however when testing my fireballs are dealing fire, spell and cold damage... is there anything i can write in this code to replace the original elemental damage with the new one being applied....

Thank u!

I did type this and seems to be working:
    Cold; DMGSTYPE: cold ; DMGSTYPE: -fire ; DMGSTYPE: -acid ; DMGSTYPE: -electricity

Quote Originally Posted by Shakti View Post
    I did type this and seems to be working:
    Cold; DMGSTYPE: cold ; DMGSTYPE: -fire ; DMGSTYPE: -acid ; DMGSTYPE: -electricity
    Are you sure that this works? Signs do not have any interpretation in the code for damage types as far as I know (just tested it, for "- cold" it gets added as "cold" when not already there and "-cold" has no interpretation). Do you maybe run any extension which funnily allows you to do that?

To answer your question: Normally you can not replace damage types by an effect (EDIT: only implicitly when it is about additional damage dice with some sort of damage type; DMG: d6 fire for example does not "remember" weapon damage types. But that's a different situation). Would have to be coded (and one would have to think about the design, simply replacing all damage types is probably not good when doing crits or spell damage, i.e. such special damage types one may want to keep)

In the chat it still says the fire damage was there (for a fireball), but the enemies RESIST: 10 fire did not apply, and when i added cold resistance to them, it did applied...
    So it did work!

In the chat it still says the fire damage was there (for a fireball), but the enemies RESIST: 10 fire did not apply, and when i added cold resistance to them, it did applied...
    So it did work!
    Ah okay, sounds interesting; could you send a screenshot? I can not duplicate this, my fire resistance still works when using your approach. (I am not saying you're wrong, it sounds interesting and I would like to try to duplicate this )

EDIT: The following applies only when you use my extension advanced effects

Ah, wait, I now know what happens: I only tried DMGSTYPE: -fire so far. Your approach works because you have DMGSTYPE: cold in it, too, and RESIST: 10 fire will be ignored because your fireball now makes both damages types, cold and fire the fire resistance against fire is ignored because you have the cold damage type, too, which overcomes that

When you then add RESIST: 10 cold. Then FG realizes that you have resistance against both damage types and therefore it starts to resist again. Try it out: When you delete the fire resistance then it does not get resisted anymore

So, your approach will for example not work against enemies (in general, for some examples it may work as described) which do only have cold resistance because your approach will still ignore the cold resistance even when you changed the damage type to cold with your effect (with respect to your example).

EDIT: so, the negative damage types are indeed ignored. It was more of a random coincidence of having suitable resistances and having the cold damage type additionally With respect to your example you get exactly the same results as you described when you only use DMGSTYPE: cold
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 17th, 2019 at 00:54.

Do you use by any chance one of my extensions? I realize that I get your behaviour when using my extensions (so my last answer applies only when you use my extension advanced effects).

When I do not use any extension then the resistances always get applied and do stack. (which is what I fixed in my extension and therefore the resistances work a bit different there as outlined in Update 4 of my extension so, your siutation is not a bug in FG or my extension, just a happy coincidence of effects The approach still will not work in general, I am afraid of :/ But that gives me an idea for some new feature for that extension )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 17th, 2019 at 00:52.

Hi, im doing some tests and appears you're right...
    but its weird, im sure that the first times i was applying the 'DMGSTYPE: cold' effect the RESIST: 10 fire creatures WERE absorbing 10 points of damage... now if i just apply DMGSTYPE: cold they are not resisting anymore...

= )...
    and yes, i am using your extensions! a lots of them actually... hahahahaha

Well in the end im going to have to choose which damage type on the fly with 4 spell actions for each freaking spell i have memorized... hahahahahahahahaha...
    The bad thing is we're playing a updated and hardened version of Wrath of the Righteous, and i am an Archmage with Wild Arcana, so i can cast every spell in the game...
    = D ....

Hi, im doing some tests and appears you're right...
    but its weird, im sure that the first times i was applying the 'DMGSTYPE: cold' effect the RESIST: 10 fire creatures WERE absorbing 10 points of damage... now if i just apply DMGSTYPE: cold they are not resisting anymore...

= )...
    and yes, i am using your extensions! a lots of them actually... hahahahaha
    hehe, yeah, this testing can be a bit complicated, I also tried very different damage type situations and got confused sometimes, too

Well in the end im going to have to choose which damage type on the fly with 4 spell actions for each freaking spell i have memorized... hahahahahahahahaha...
    The bad thing is we're playing a updated and hardened version of Wrath of the Righteous, and i am an Archmage with Wild Arcana, so i can cast every spell in the game...
    = D ....
    Ah, I understand, so, you will have a very full actions tab :P

But what might work for some spells is maybe the following: Define your damage buttons of the spells with energy type without any damage type (or add such one to remember later easier which spell has an energy damage type because you still see at least one with energy damage type) and then add the effect DMGSTYPE: [the chosen one] just before you roll the damage

Thread Information