DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

[Extension] Arcane Devices

Hi everyone,

I've created an extension to facilitate the creation and use of Arcane Devices (SWADE pp. 153).

How to use:
    - Download and Enable the attached extension (duh)
    - Go to a characters inventory
    - Find the brand new Arcane Devices tab
    - Create a new item
    - open the record to edit the details of that item
    - enter a name, cost, maximum power points to your liking
    - drag a power or several powers onto the power field
    - choose how you want to activate each power: Melee, Ranged or Thrown (for devices that are weapons activated with Fighting, Shooting or Athletics (Throwing) respectively), Skill (enter the name of a Skill that will be used to activate the device, e.g. Notice for a magical looking glass), or Device Internal (a new skill is created for the user when the item is equipped, with the die assigned as "Activation Roll" as skill level)
    - If you chose "Skill" or "Device Internal" enter the appropriate skill name or drag the appropriate activation die onto the space next to "Activation Roll" (or Right Click -> Assign on the space)
    - the result should look something like this:
    ADExample.PNG

When the item is Equipped (as opposed to just "Carried" or "Not Carried"), the character will gain a new power (named after the arcane device) and skill (if "Device Internal" is set as activation mode). To use the arcane device, you can simply activate the power from your powers tab as you would any other power (If the character using the AD doesn't have an Arcane Background, select an AB at random to see the power list). You can track the devices power points in the Inventory->Arcane Devices Tab.
    When the item is Unequipped (or deleted) the Character automatically looses the associated power and skill.

There is also a new Arcane Devices category in the item catalog in the sidepanel.

I hope this helps people with quickly and easily managing their Artificer PCs and enables handing out of magical artifacts as rare quest rewards.
    I welcome all feedback (constructive criticism preferred), bug reports and feature requests.

You can also find this extension on the Forge:
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/147/view

Best,
    Chillhelm

Changelog: v.02 (Released 30.06.20)
    - Fixed some strings
    - Added more activation options
    Changelog: v.03 (Released 02.07.20)
    - Removed unnecessary debug output
    - added a frame to the current PP tracker in the inventory sheet
    - fixed damage dice not showing in the powers tab for AD powers that have a damage expression
    Changelog: v.04 (Released 03.07.20)
    - fixed a bug related to passing around equipped AD from character to character
    - moved more strings to static resources instead of hardcoding (for potential future localisation) and fixed a misssing string
    - fixed an error related to powers with no damage expression
    - fixed a bug that reset activation type when renaming devices
    - powers will now appear as <Powername> [<Devicename>] in the power list
    Changelog: v.05 (Released 03.07.20)
    - Windows can now be resized
    Changelog: v.06 (Released 18.07.20)
    - Arcane Devices can now grant multiple powers and subpowers
    - when renaming an AD or a power of an AD while it is equipped all names (of skills and granted powers) get updated appropriately
    - when the Device Internal activation die is changed while an AD is equipped, the granted skill (and all powers using it) will be updated appropriately
    - Fixed a bug where a newly created AD would not associate the correct skill the first time it was equipped
    - THIS VERSION BREAKS BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY! Using AD create with v.05 or earlier will not work!
    Changelog: v.07 (Released 03.01.21)
    - Added a "Create Arcane Device" button to the items list with handpainted, Made in Germany Custom Icon
    - improved detection whether a given item is an arcane device (or intended to be one), so that they should now should all show up in the item list
    Changelog: v.08 (Released 08.01.21)
    - Arcane Devices are now marked as such in the Master Item List
    - Arcane Devices are now exportable
    Changelog: v.09 (Released 08.01.21)
    - It is now again possible to have mundane items!
    Changelog: v.10 (Released 04.06.21)
    - Updated Ruleset Definitions to include Pathfinder for Savage Worlds (PFSW)
    - Fixed a layout bug caused by the CoreRPG extension Player Agency
    Changelog: Release 27.12.21
    - Fixed some issues with the new ruleset version.
    Changelog: Release 07.03.22
    - Fixed some more issues with new ruleset versions.
    Changelog: Release 22.03.23
    - Fixed some more more issues with new ruleset version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chillhelm; March 22nd, 2023 at 00:06. Reason: Version Update

That looks brilliant. Good job. I will try this out
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Hello,

First : Thanks for this extension, will be usefull

I have noticed some problems :
    - Right-click shows "Create Mudane item" instead of "Create Arcane device".

- I cannot assign an activation roll, when I unlock the sheet, no box appears, and nothing drop on it.
    What kind of dices ? a die from a skill, or from dice at the bottom of the UI ?
    When i Right-click next to words Activation Roll, Clear Dice option appears, but i have no die to clear
    I see d4 in Powers list, but no damage (I select Bolt from SW Player Guide)

If I can suggest something :
    Learning arcane device manipulation should takes time, why not create a new skill ? It makes sens to me and no need to choose an activation roll .

I have created a new campagne with SWADE to test it, nothing else.
    Last edited by Cirfain; June 30th, 2020 at 12:53.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I should get around to fix the bugs you reported and implent your feedback by the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirfain View Post
    - Right-click shows "Create Mudane item" instead of "Create Arcane device".
    Good catch.

- I cannot assign an activation roll, when I unlock the sheet, no box appears, and nothing drop on it.
    What kind of dices ? a die from a skill, or from dice at the bottom of the UI ?
    Just from the bottom of the UI should work. When you pick them up a frame should appear where you can drop them.
    When i Right-click next to words Activation Roll, Clear Dice option appears, but i have no die to clear
    This is where you need to add the dice. I'll add a frame that is always visible to make it more clear. I'll also allow dropping in of skills directly from the character sheet, to make this easier.
    I see d4 in Powers list, but no damage (I select Bolt from SW Player Guide)
    D4 is the default if you don't assign anything. That it doesn't display damage is strange, I'll have a look into it.

If I can suggest something :
    Learning arcane device manipulation should takes time, why not create a new skill ? It makes sens to me and no need to choose an activation roll .
    RAW familiarization with an Arcane Device is not necessary (see Arcane Devices/Activation in SWADE p.154).
    I'll try and add a selection box that lets you pick an existing skill instead of creating a new one when you equip the item. This way you can houserule it such that Arcane Devices are activated with a new skill of your choosing.

Thanks for your quick answer

Quote Originally Posted by chillhelm View Post
    RAW familiarization with an Arcane Device is not necessary (see Arcane Devices/Activation in SWADE p.154).
    I'll try and add a selection box that lets you pick an existing skill instead of creating a new one when you equip the item. This way you can houserule it such that Arcane Devices are activated with a new skill of your choosing.
    You're right. SWADE rules are enough, no need for new skill.
    I use Shaintar where each style of magic has 2 Edges (1 dedicated Arcane Backround + 1 dedicated Professional Edge) and 1 dedicated skill to be effective. Existing skills should be enough.

Ah, I forgot something : How can I give PP to the device ?
    I have only max PP frame not current PP and i didn't see a place for that.

Regards
    Thanks

In the Arcane Devices inventory tab it lists current PP and you can adjust it by hovering over and typing a number or holding control and rolling the mousewheel.

I figured current PP only are relevant to equipped items. If you move an item from one character to another the current PP will be preserverd.

Shameless doubleposting:

I've uploaded a new version. It features all of Cirfain's suggestions, except the ability to drag-and-drop a skill directly from the Character Sheet onto the AD to assign a die.
    I've also added an "assign" option to the radial menu on the "Activation Roll".

Cheers,
    Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm,

I have tested the new version :
    I have the good dice, for each of the option (Ranged, Melee, Throw, Internal or Skill) the radial menu works fine.

- When I choose Internal : Drag and drop doesn't work, whatever the dice I choose. If i choose a dice with radial menu, the drop action will delete the current dice for nothing (d4 appears in powers tab).

- Still no damage, even if i change power to choose bolt again or burst

Typo :
    - When i choose a dice from radial menu, in the chat box s'd10 appears when I choose a d10, s'd8 for d8, ...
    - Below the device name, the source of the dice appears (device name for Internal, or skill name for other choice) could be great to add the spell name too. When you choose a very weird name (for weird science) , the name could be very different of the effect
    - When choosing Internal Device for dice, is this possible to mention Internal and not the name ReportAD_01.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by chillhelm View Post
    In the Arcane Devices inventory tab it lists current PP and you can adjust it by hovering over and typing a number or holding control and rolling the mousewheel.

I figured current PP only are relevant to equipped items. If you move an item from one character to another the current PP will be preserverd.
    Works fine, but not intuitive, if you don't write it, no one can guess it Why don't you use the "Shots" frame like ranged weapons with ammo ?

Many Thanks

- When I choose Internal : Drag and drop doesn't work, whatever the dice I choose. If i choose a dice with radial menu, the drop action will delete the current dice for nothing (d4 appears in powers tab).
    I can't seem to replicate this bug. When I drag a die from the bottom of the window onto the field, it replaces any die that are already there just fine (or places one in if there is none). Can you be more specific as to where you pick the dice up?

- Still no damage, even if i change power to choose bolt again or burst
    Fixed.
    Typo :
    - When i choose a dice from radial menu, in the chat box s'd10 appears when I choose a d10, s'd8 for d8, ...
    Oops. Some debug output made it into the release version. Fixed.
    - Below the device name, the source of the dice appears (device name for Internal, or skill name for other choice) could be great to add the spell name too. When you choose a very weird name (for weird science) , the name could be very different of the effect
    - When choosing Internal Device for dice, is this possible to mention Internal and not the name ReportAD_01.PNG
    I'm kind of limited in influencing how the Power from the AD is represented in the power list. I'm worried that if I mess around with the display of the power list, I might end up creating incompatibilities with future versions of the SW ruleset. I'll look into this more and see what I can do.
    Why don't you use the "Shots" frame like ranged weapons with ammo ?
    Good idea! Done.

Thank you for your patience and testing!

Hi,

All features work well

Except drag and drop :
    Here is a video (5 sec) to see the drag and drop. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsX2QPADtWrKg849...00-01_Trim.mp4

It's not a blocking point for me, radial works good.

But I have the same problem with parcel, and only one person has it too.
    May be there is something else.

Many thanks for your work.

Thread Information