STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Persistent Effects from Weapons

Hi

Have a PC adding a Wounding rune to his main weapon and wanted to confirm if the best way to handle this is to add a new effect to his Actions tab for the bleeding persistent element that this brings?
    Am I right in thinking it can't be added to the damage being rolled on a hit automatically?

Thanks

You can add the persistent bleeding to the weapon. When you do it creates an effect in the chat window that can be dragged onto the target. It does not automatically apply it to the creature. But this way will save you from searching for the button in your actions tab.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 141102.jpg

This is what it appears like in the chat window. The effects are draggable onto the target. I the way I have it set up is a hit deals 1d6 bleed, and a crit is 1d12. The player applies whichever effect is appropriate at the time.

bleed.jpg

Thanks for reply Darkrite, that looks good and we'll give it a go

The above info that Darkrite provides is correct - with the addition that if the damage roll has a target, the persistent damage effect will be applied to the target, you won't need to drag it from the chat window.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 2nd, 2021 at 08:21.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

awesome functionality! thank you for sharing this!

Trenloe,

If it will apply to the target will it calculate a correct die increase on a crit?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The above info that Darkrite provides is correct - with the addition that if the damage roll has a target (or the damage was dropped on a target), the persistent damage effect will be applied to the target, you won't need to drag it from the chat window.
    I tried this for the Wounding Longsword one of my players is swinging around. When I add the line in the action tab it works fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to properly write it into the item description, so that it would work immediately for whoever has the weapon.

In "Damage" I just write "1d8/1d6" and for "Damage Type" I tried every way to write out the persistent damage I could come up with. "slashing/persitent bleed" "slashing/PERS: bleed" "slashing/pers bleed" "slashing/bleed pers" "slashing/bleed persistent" and many more, with and without a space between. This always leads to the Damage Type not parsing properly and staying blank for the 1d6.
    The damage field in the bestiary just lets you write it out with something like "Damage 1d8 and 1d6 persistent bleed". What do i need to add in the item fields themselves for it to work?

And Larsenix, it does not seem to properly double the persitent damage on crit or select the higher value. We can see in Darkrite's example that it just applies both effects. You would then have to manually remove the wrong one, depending on if it was a Crit or not, by hand.

Is there a reason why Fantasy Grounds does not try to double the persistent damage on crit, even though the extra damage line in the weapon has "Crit x2"?

There is another thing I just realized by playing around with it:
    Even if the target is immune to a specific damage type, the persistent damage will still be applied. So a Fire Giant will still roll the flat check and damage roll for persistent fire damage. Is this somehow intentional, for some GMs to trick their players? "Hey, you can clearly see that the monster is still rolling its Flat Check and damage."

If this is not intended, could this be fixed with a quick check for immunities before persistent damage is applied? Immunites: fire, do not apply persistent fire. Or maybe at it's latest before Fantasy Grounds makes the Flat Check and damage roll, just so that my players don't think something is working that actually isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Intemperiae View Post
    Even if the target is immune to a specific damage type, the persistent damage will still be applied. So a Fire Giant will still roll the flat check and damage roll for persistent fire damage.
    The fire giant should automatically have an effect of "IMMUNE: fire" on them in the combat tracker. When the persistent fire damage is applied, this immune effect will trigger and no damage will be applied. I've just tested this and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Intemperiae View Post
    Is this somehow intentional, for some GMs to trick their players?
    Not sure why you'd think this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information