5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fgu ui

Fgu ui

Hi all, I’m new here (currently using another ‘brand’ of VTT). I cannot say I much like the approach of the developers in that other place, but was deterred from FG by two things: (a) lack of Dynamic Lighting and (b) user interface. The UI looked very clunky and dated (c.1993). I was therefore very excited to see the announcement of FGU.

I’ve been checking out some YouTube clips in anticipation but unfortunately the UI doesn’t appear to have been updated? It still has a pre-Windows 1995 look to it. Even the dynamic lighting looks incredibly clunky. Cf it to the other place which literally lights up the terrain with a fade towards the edge of vision.

That said, I’m wondering if what I’m seeing is truly reflective of the current Beta/ final product. I know I can wait until launch in a few months time but I need to purchase some more content and so am weighing whether to hold off. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
    Last edited by Akril; December 8th, 2019 at 09:54.

You are referring to the Fantasy Grounds Unity version of the software. Based on the Unity engine, it contains dynamic lighting and weather effects and potential for many more things. The UI is just one of them, and the way all rulesets are presented today is to be backward compatible with the Classic versions. In future, enhancements might be made, but for now it is more or less the same.

Also, the style of the UI is entirely subjective. I prefer the way FG delivers the immersion with this "Dated" interface, rather than have the web page of Roll20 or the Windows forms of MapTools.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Akril

There will be some changes to the UI but mostly the UI approach is deliberate and will continue.
    The UI does not suit everyone but UIs are like that...

You can mention other VTTs here..

Hi. Another important thing to understand about FG both Classic and Unity is that they are basically underlying engines upon which the various rulesets are build. The screen presentation, button placement, colors and various objects are in the various rulesets. While some of the UI features do derive from the engine there would have to be changes to the rulesets as well.

With the new capabilities of FGU in terms of memory and the underlying Unity software itself I'm sure that Smiteworks and the small army of community developers will be coming up with all kinds of possibilities.

I’m unsure what you mean by immersive? I personally do not like the web-interface of Roll20. It has no character at all (if that is what you mean)? But the FGU client I’ve seen is not just ‘dated’ in terms of - for example - medieval design but is dated in terms of technology. It looks like the old Bitmap games of the Early 90s. Clunky, low-res buttons and lacking in general quality of life feel. Even the new weather effects look very 1990s tech.

I entirely accept that a UI is subjective but given its premium price tag, I’m just surprised this hasn’t been addressed in the new version. I was just wondering if what I’d seen just isn’t reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by Akril View Post
    I’m unsure what you mean by immersive? I personally do not like the web-interface of Roll20. It has no character at all (if that is what you mean)? But the FGU client I’ve seen is not just ‘dated’ in terms of - for example - medieval design but is dated in terms of technology. It looks like the old Bitmap games of the Early 90s. Clunky, low-res buttons and lacking in general quality of life feel. Even the new weather effects look very 1990s tech.

I entirely accept that a UI is subjective but given its premium price tag, I’m just surprised this hasn’t been addressed in the new version. I was just wondering if what I’d seen just isn’t reflective.
    About the reolution of the buttons: There are also other standard themes for FG They might fit you better and come with FG

Er, please show me a game of 1990s with such weather effects they really look nice in FGU in my opinion

(About Dynamic lighting: This is not there yet, it comes after release. At the moment we have dynamic line of sight, so only vision with infinitely large range That's the reason why you do not see the fade in form of dim light etc. at the boundary of the vision So, I mean such things are also subject of change, and thence there might be some fade at the boundary at some point, with or without dynamic lighting It is difficult to estimate the new features coming after release)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 8th, 2019 at 13:53.

Just as an example of how the standard ruleset UI can be modified by others to change how everything looks and feels.

Starfinder Alternate Theme

Hi all, I’m new here (currently using another ‘brand’ of VTT). I cannot say I much like the approach of the developers in that other place, but was deterred from FG by two things: (a) lack of Dynamic Lighting and (b) user interface. The UI looked very clunky and dated (c.1993). I was therefore very excited to see the announcement of FGU.

I’ve been checking out some YouTube clips in anticipation but unfortunately the UI doesn’t appear to have been updated? It still has a pre-Windows 1995 look to it. Even the dynamic lighting looks incredibly clunky. Cf it to the other place which literally lights up the terrain with a fade towards the edge of vision.

That said, I’m wondering if what I’m seeing is truly reflective of the current Beta/ final product. I know I can wait until launch in a few months time but I need to purchase some more content and so am weighing whether to hold off. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
    Hi and welcome!

As I recall, the main point of developing FGU was to have FG running on a more modern engine that will allow the flexibility to do more in the future. It was also one of their main goals to keep the experience as close to the current experience as possible for the initial FGU release, while adding a few new features (dynamic line-of-sight, weather effects, etc.). Once FGU is out and stable, I'm sure they'll be considering all kinds of ideas for new features and improvements. They need to get the work on the new engine done first.

If you have specific suggestions about how the interface could be improved, those should be put up on the Wish List so that others can up-vote them if they also would like to see those changes. SmiteWorks use this as part of their decision-making process for what to place priority on.
    Last edited by notrealdan; December 8th, 2019 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Just as an example of how the standard ruleset UI can be modified by others to change how everything looks and feels.

Starfinder Alternate Theme
    Now that is very impressive and far more what i was expecting. So is it just a skin thing?

Thank you for everyone’s prompt responses. I’m certainly not trying to do down a product that so many people love. I’m speaking purely from preference/ VP. The only reason I’m commenting is because I’m in a dilemma as to whether to go ahead and by additional content on Roll20 or hold off and trial FGU.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Akril; December 8th, 2019 at 14:43.

Now that is very impressive and far more what i was expecting. So is it just a skin thing?

Thank you for everyone’s prompt responses. I’m certainly not trying to do down a product that so many people love. I’m speaking purely from preference/ VP. The only reason I’m commenting is because I’m in a dilemma as to whether to go ahead and by additional content on Roll20 or hold off and trial FGU.

Thanks again.
    Personally, I would suggest trying FGU when it comes out. SW have a no-questions 30-day refund policy, so there's no risk except to your own free time.

Thread Information