5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Modifying the Mask

I searched for previous topics on this, but most of what I found was either tagental or necroposting.

So let me get right to the point - I want to change how my mask looks for one particular encounter which will start as completely unmasked. I want to then slowly fill in the mask but rather than it being a tan color I want it to be something that looks like water.

Can this be done, and if so, how?

The map is too large (2.5 MB - I know I know) to repeatedly push host updates to the players by just modifying my image and resending it to them. I'm already exporting it as a module and sending it to them so I don't have to worry about the size.

The mask is applied as a translucency filter. This means that the mask will look like whatever the windowframe looks like for the image window.

There is a imagebox.png file somewhere in the ruleset files (depending on the ruleset) that controls this. It's under graphics/frames/imagebox.png for the 4E ruleset. I verified that changing the center color will change shown by the mask.

However, doing it this way would change the way all map masks look.

Another way would be to write an extension that only replaced the "imagebox" framedef. Then, you enable the extension for the session you want to change the look, then disable the extension in the next session.

In fact, that seems like the best solution.

Cheers,
    JPG

Anyone want to earn a quick $40 to write an extension for me?

Here ya go. Quick and dirty.

Replace the frame graphic inside if you want something else, just make sure its the same image size.

Cheers,
    JPG

Just wanted to show you what you created allowed me to do.

Three pics here....one with the chamber before it starts filling, then with it filled 10' full of toxic goo, and then almost all the way full. All just done by adjusting the mask.

This will be very useful, not just for toxic goo, but any time I want to create a dynamic mostly opaque screen on the map where the normal mask function is otherwise not being used.

Fire, gas clouds, water, plagues of locust!

Thread Information