DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Transformers - Character Sheet Error

I have been running a monthly game using the Transformers rule set. This morning, I noticed all of my players' character sheets are throwing the same error message at the top of the Main Tab: [Default Character Sheet Layout][For Ruleset Development Only]. The Origins and Influences they chose no longer appear, and the abilities tab is blank. The character sheets were working previously, as I have already run one game without any major issues.

Is there an easy fix to this issue? I am attempting to manually recreate the character sheets in the meanwhile, which appears like it will work, except I cannot remember what Origins they chose, and with their old character sheets no longer showing this information, I won't be able to recreate them perfectly.

Blog Entries
    First, did you test with no extensions?
    Second, can you grab some screenshots so we can see?
    Third, Compiling Logs and attaching to the post here is always useful.
    Finally, you could also export one or two of the bad character sheets and attach here and someone with the ruleset can investigate.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for the reply! I wasn't running any extensions. Screen capture has been attached for reference. Screen Capture - Character Sheet Error Message.PNG

When I exported the character XML, I found the issue. The value "charactertype" had been replaced with "alliance type". The correct value is: <charactertype type="string">HASE20TRANS</charactertype>. The bad value was <alliance type="number">1</alliance>. When I edited the character XML and replaced the bad value with the correct value, it fixed the issue. I noticed during character creation we now have the choice of a "Default" character and a "Transformers" character. My guess is that this update caused the character sheets to default to...Default.

I will export the character sheets, fix the value, then import them. That will save me the trouble of rebuilding the characters from scratch. Thank you for the suggestion, I had never exported a character before.

Blog Entries
    Ah, thanks for the details. Hopefully one of the devs sees this Monday and can put it on their list to fix.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Imparu,
    This is from an update to support Cross-Play with the upcoming GI JOE ruleset.
    You are right that your charactersheets need to have the tag:
    <charactertype type="string">HASE20TRANS</charactertype> added to them.
    This will set them back to the mode for Transformers characters and it should start to read them in again.

Your plan to export-reimport should work.
    But if the exporting, change, and re-import, doesn't work then you can access the character sheets directly with your db.xml file in your campaign folder.
    1) To do this, first close out Fantasy Grounds completely.
    2) Go to the campaign folder for this campaign and open it up
    3) Locate the db.xml file, and then open it with a text editor (I use notepad++)
    4) Now search for '<charsheet>' so you're at the very top of every character in your campaign.
    5) <id-0001>, <id-0002>, <id-0003>, <id-....>, are each of your character sheets. Add the <charactertype type="string">HASE20TRANS</charactertype> tag to each of these
    >> I Have added a screenshot of one of my development campaigns of what this would look like.
    6) Save the db.xml with the <characterytpe/> changes added to the sheets and close the file.
    7) Re-Open Fantasy Grounds and load your campaign, then open up the character sheets and check to make sure they're back into the Transformers Mode.
    image_2024-05-13_133443646.png

This is what I did during early development to change the modes of the character sheets so I know it works. If you are having -ANY- issues after that, please message me.
    I will keep an eye out for messages from you this week. I will also check the code to see why it didn't update the sheets for you.

For all your future characters, you will notice that when you create them a pop-up window will ask if you want "DEFAULT" or "TRANSFORMERS".
    When GI JOE is released, -IF- you own the modules, it will notice that and also offer "GI JOE" to your list of choices, and it should blend in with your existing campaign.
    But that is still coming and this was a small update to change how the charactersheets work with these upcoming changes.
    Last edited by Tarkonian; May 13th, 2024 at 19:40.
    "If you love it, mod it."
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Quote Originally Posted by Imparu View Post
    Thank you for the reply! I wasn't running any extensions. Screen capture has been attached for reference. Screen Capture - Character Sheet Error Message.PNG

When I exported the character XML, I found the issue. The value "charactertype" had been replaced with "alliance type". The correct value is: <charactertype type="string">HASE20TRANS</charactertype>. The bad value was <alliance type="number">1</alliance>. When I edited the character XML and replaced the bad value with the correct value, it fixed the issue. I noticed during character creation we now have the choice of a "Default" character and a "Transformers" character. My guess is that this update caused the character sheets to default to...Default.

I will export the character sheets, fix the value, then import them. That will save me the trouble of rebuilding the characters from scratch. Thank you for the suggestion, I had never exported a character before.
    I will also add that:
    <alliance type="number">1</alliance> was set to if your character sheet showed "Autobots", "Decepticon", or "Cybertronian" icon on the character sheet.
    Deleting that wouldn't have done anything severe. It would have just reset those icons to their default setting. The second the player cycles back to what their alliance was, it'll fix it on their sheet.

Please let me know if the export-reimport did work for you.
    "If you love it, mod it."
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkonian View Post
    I will also add that:
    <alliance type="number">1</alliance> was set to if your character sheet showed "Autobots", "Decepticon", or "Cybertronian" icon on the character sheet.
    Deleting that wouldn't have done anything severe. It would have just reset those icons to their default setting. The second the player cycles back to what their alliance was, it'll fix it on their sheet.

Please let me know if the export-reimport did work for you.
    That makes sense, I did have to manually update them back to Autobots when I reimported them. I was comparing the "bad" character export to the "good" character and saw the difference on that line, but my "good" character must not have had an alliance assigned.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply earlier! Yes, the export - reimport did work, though I like your method better, because the players wouldn't have had to switch over to new characters.

Thread Information