DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    What updates are in the new libraries? Unique NPCs would be nice. I noticed none of the main characters were in there in the last version.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvedui View Post
    What updates are in the new libraries? Unique NPCs would be nice. I noticed none of the main characters were in there in the last version.
    Sevrick adds content book by book.
    The npcs you are looking for, are from which books?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Im pretty sure that "main characters" screams copyright.
    ??? I think he is just referring to the stats of unique characters from the movie. As far as I know stats of NPCs are not under copyright. The stats would be in the Allies and Adversaries books mainly but some are scattered about in other books.

Blog Entries
    If main characters are Stats only they should be fine. But if the main characters include the main characters names they are unlikely to be unprotected.

If main characters are Stats only they should be fine. But if the main characters include the main characters names they are unlikely to be unprotected.
    Let me see if I understand. In Adversaries and allies page 45 is Emperor Palpatine with a stat block. The way I understand it descriptions or protected by copyright law, which is why I haven't added any. But suddenly because NPC has the name of someone from the movies you cant add their name but you can still add the stats?
    If this is the case could add an NPC with the name "Palps" and add the stat block minus the descriptions? You see my confusion.

Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "main characters." There are alot of names in star wars, which ones are considered "main"?
    Last edited by sevrick; January 15th, 2022 at 04:34.

Blog Entries
    In my mind there is no confusion - Emperor Palpitane is a character unique to the Star Wars universe. It is absolutely Product identity.

Every Fantasy Game has Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Orcs and Dragons. No one can lay claim to these. Only licensed games have Hobbits in them. Everyone else has halflings.

There is no hard and fast rule that you can just apply to everything. Some things are blatantly obviously not protected and others obviously protected. But in between is where most things lie.

I think Palps without a description would be perfectly ok. Someone else might even argue against that. Either way Id love to see those stats!

In my mind there is no confusion - Emperor Palpitane is a character unique to the Star Wars universe. It is absolutely Product identity.

Every Fantasy Game has Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Orcs and Dragons. No one can lay claim to these. Only licensed games have Hobbits in them. Everyone else has halflings.

There is no hard and fast rule that you can just apply to everything. Some things are blatantly obviously not protected and others obviously protected. But in between is where most things lie.

I think Palps without a description would be perfectly ok. Someone else might even argue against that. Either way Id love to see those stats!
    I guess what I am try get clear is what is and isn't off limits. As I said before what consists of main characters? I mean even Bantha is unquie to star wars. How am to know which names of characters I can or cannot add to the libraries.

I would like to just add the name of the NPC as is with the stat block, without the descriptions, but I need to know where the line is so I don't accidentally upload somthing I am not supposed to.

Also if it was unclear before I am not try to sell this library or make money off it in anyway shape or form. Also this not going on the Forge site.
    Last edited by sevrick; January 15th, 2022 at 11:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    I guess what I am try get clear is what is and isn't off limits. As I said before what consists of main characters? I mean even Bantha is unquie to star wars. How am to know which names of characters I can or cannot add to the libraries.

I would like to just add the name of the NPC as is with the stat block, without the descriptions, but I need to know where the line is so I don't accidentally upload somthing I am not supposed to.

Also if it was unclear before I am not try to sell this library or make money off it in anyway shape or form.
    Unfortunately it is not 100% clear in most cases.
    In my opinion named characters would be off limits.
    That would mean Boba Fett is off limits. But perhaps Mandalorian is ok? Well "The Mandalorian" has been trademarked. Twenty one times.
    Not selling and not making money do not change the situation.

If I was making the module I would not use any named characters.

Unfortunately it is not 100% clear in most cases.
    In my opinion named characters would be off limits.
    That would mean Boba Fett is off limits. But perhaps Mandalorian is ok? Well "The Mandalorian" has been trademarked. Twenty one times.
    Not selling and not making money do not change the situation.

If I was making the module I would not use any named characters.
    Sounds good. I will use my best judgement and correct where needed. Thx.

Thread Information