5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    Doswelk,

I'm trying to play with the chat window for my old west theme, but it's got some really weird scaling & overlapping going on - I can't get a good "headline" like you have here. I notice that the chat frame PNG is about 525 pixels wide, while the chat window itself is only displayed at 390 pixels. I've looked around for any code that controls the chat box but haven't been able to find it. Can you give me any hints?
    Maybe the SW chatbox is easier heres the code I add to the extension.xml:

Code:

framedef name="chatbox"
        bitmap file="frames/chatbox.png"
        topleft rect="0,0,0,0"
        top rect="0,0,0,0"
        topright rect="0,0,0,0"
        left rect="0,0,0,0"
        middle rect="0,0,441,565"
        right rect="0,0,0,0"
        bottomleft rect="0,0,0,0"
        bottom rect="0,0,0,0"
        bottomright rect="0,0,0,0"
    framedef

* not I had to remove all the '<' & '/>' for this to display
    Also, did you mess with the chat box code to prevent the text from scrolling up and over your headline?
    Actually no (not used it yet so did not think about that).

Well my solution will be to wait and see if Phantomwhale wants to take any of this and add it to the official Deadlands extension and hope he hacks a way round the problem.
    Last edited by Doswelk; July 10th, 2011 at 22:17. Reason: did not liek xml code
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I think it looks pretty cool, DW.

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk
    Well my solution will be to wait and see if Phantomwhale wants to take any of this and add it to the official Deadlands extension and hope he hacks a way round the problem.
    I like it - think defining the Chat Box area isn't too hard (it's a number, somewhere).

There is always a trade off of stylised graphics verses clear, large readable areas in GUI design - e.g. that Tombstone Epitah bar is going to chew up one or two lines of the Chat Box - but happy to take people's thoughts and preferences on this.

I had always thought DL:R could do with a tiny bit more graphical improvement, but it's not my strongest area, so I'm really pleased Doswelk, Dr Venture and others are coming out with extra ideas in this area. I've already integrated a couple of new bits into the core extension for next release (which will mainly be a SWEX v3.2 compatibility release) any dare say I'll take quite a few bits from this thread as well. (for instance, despite my above point about lost text space, I do quite like the Tombstone Epitaph chatbox !)

In a nutshell, extension development is 50% dictatorship, 50% democracy for me So feel free to vote on what to include And revolt when I disagree

Cheers,
    -PW-
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomwhale
    I like it - think defining the Chat Box area isn't too hard (it's a number, somewhere).
    Yeah, I suspected it was, just couldn't find it at first. It's in "desktop_classes.xml" in the first windowclass definition. So I gots my chat window lookin' fine. Thanks all.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Yeah, I suspected it was, just couldn't find it at first. It's in "desktop_classes.xml" in the first windowclass definition. So I gots my chat window lookin' fine. Thanks all.
    Ooh you got the top not being overwritten?

If so and you're modifying my old d20 modern ruleset, can you paste up the chatwindow entry please (then I can hack around with it)
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I'm happy to, but I'm not sure what yer looking for. Just look in the "desktop_classes.xml" file - the first entry is for the chat window. There are three sets of 4 number coordinates - you want to tweak the 3rd number of either the first or the last sets (the 2nd set is for chat hilight, which isn't what you want, whatever it is). I *think* you want the set of numbers at the bottom... but just play with them and you'll figure it out.

If you still want me to post something up here, I'm very happy to do it. Did you want the whole XML entry for the chat window?
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Thread Information