Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Useful?

Across rulesets...

Cross rulesets raises some interesting problems.

First the target ruleset needs to be smart enough to handle "missing" nodes. Since the source file may only have a subset of the nodes on the target. It is possible to make rulesets smart enough to deal with it...I'm just not sure how many rulesets are built that way.

Second you have to worry about any windowreference/links embedded in the character. The characters in the 4E_JPG ruleset have links that point to magic items, weapons, etc. Some of these are custom windowclasses that may or may not function correctly under the target ruleset.

Third you have to worry about the nodes being the same type/being used for the same thing. This could cause a whole host of problems and produce unintended/unexpected results.

The fourth issue would be if the source contains more nodes than the target. This shouldn't cause any problems as the excess nodes will be ignored by the target ruleset. However it's possible that a future upgrade of the target ruleset could start using those node for something and you'd be in a case like above

Again I think cross ruleset is a bad idea

You could build a much more complex program and do some node comparisons and allow the user to define translations...but that's more work than I wanted to do.

Yes, this complexity was my worry with a generic utility that would work for all rulesets (by which I mean between campaigns that use the same ruleset).

We can move characters, NPCs and items wholesale, I think, simply by taking everything between the relevant id-xxxxx tags and adjusting the id number and category appropriately, but you will lose external links to tokens and portraits if they exist.

I've got this working for importing new entries to GURPS campaigns in the utility I've put up on www.spyke.me, and it shouldn't be too much additional work to allow you to move things between campaigns.

Spyke

My test program works across campaigns of the same ruleset. Tokens and portraits do break.

External links to modules and the like still function if the module is available. Internal links (charsheet.id-0001.whatever) I swap the unique ID as needed during the transfer process.

Okay I cleaned this version up some. It should work. As always back your campaigns up before using. Feel free to PM me with any questions/errors or just toss them onto the thread.
    Last edited by Tenian; October 7th, 2008 at 21:01.

A link

Okay the file is hosted in the LFR Yahoo Group.

Link

Quoth the browser, 404
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Apparently you have to join the group to see it

I wish this site or FUM would give me a reason beyond "Invalid File" or "Upload Failed" as to why this file will not upload. It's just a zip file.

Thread Information