5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    The npc sheet sounds really interesting. Work is stepping up a little bit recently, but I'll probably be able to invest some decent time on it every weekend or two.

Well, I'm busy keying in a bunch of the NPCs into a library module. I borrowed heavily from the 4e monster library module and adapted it to show NPCs by faction. I really like the collapsible headings and the filter ability on library modules. My plan is to write the various monster lists by faction and CL at least. I'm using a simple web page I wrote to edit and create new monsters and to add them to the index at the appropriate spot. It's still time consuming getting them entered though, but it seems faster this way since everything is pretty much in the same order as the books.

If anyone would like a copy of the web site code, let me know. It's just one basic page and a few XML files written in asp.net (visual studio 2008.) I'm just running it locally myself. You'll need to manually update your db.xml in your module file with the new version created from the web page -- but it might save you some time.
    Last edited by MeepoSose; October 13th, 2008 at 05:53.

Good work so far! I'm really excited about this! ^_^
    What would you say, in a percentage value, how "done" is the project?

Well... it really depends on your definition of "done." Really, the SWSE ruleset that GoOrange created is functional enough to run a game. After seeing all the cool features others are putting in their rulesets, though, made me want to see those same sort of things in the SWSE ruleset.

For me, the ruleset is only part of equation. In order for me to GM more efficiently, I really want to have all the NPCs, feat/class/power descriptions loaded into the system and linked up to nice looking tokens. In that respect I'm only maybe 25% done with what I want to get accomplished before I run my first game. Unfortunately, I can't simply provide the module and token info to everyone since it is copyrighted, but like others have done, I can point you to where you can get all the stuff from WOTC and make your own.

With the web data entry interface and a search for "saga edition statistics" on WOTC's SWSE site, you can generate entries pretty quickly for your own module. Xorn already posted some excellent tips for creating tokens, and you can follow those to generate some really nice looking tokens. That's what I did one entire weekend. For mine, I was very pleased using PhotoShop and adding drop shadows to the figs.

In another week or two, I could probably post up a bare-bones copy of my monster module with a sample record you can use as an example. If people are interested, I could attach the web interface I personally use to fill it out. The only problem is that I may not have much time to provide support for people trying to use it. I think it's fairly self-explanatory, but it is definitely not user-proof.

That's a great feature you're offering us! Thanks a lot! ^_^

I understand you made some subtle changes to the SWSE-ruleset too. Will you make those available to the community?

Hey that looks familiar!

How different is the data structurally from the 4E DnD data and are there samples available for download from WOTC? It's possible I could take a look at building a SWSE parser. However I'm not interested in actually purchasing any reference material so I would need to be able to get a good sample of the data you are looking to parse (something like the DDI Compendium for SWSE?).

Hey that looks familiar!
    I hope you don't mind. You've done great work on the 4E ruleset and modules. You guys have definitely set the bar high for any of the other modules/rulesets. In fact, I normally start off by saying, "hmmm... I wonder how they did that in the 4E ruleset."

How different is the data structurally from the 4E DnD data and are there samples available for download from WOTC?
    It's not too different. I stole this chunk from your mm4E (I hope you don't mind) and just added reference_monsters.xml to the ruleset to allow the same sort of grouping.

Code:
    <ffgroup>
    	<librarylink type="windowreference">
    		<class>reference_classmonsterlist</class>
    		<recordname>monsterlists.ffgroup@4E Monster Manual</recordname>
    	</librarylink>
    	<name type="string">By Group</name>
    </ffgroup>
    As far as each monster's stats go, they have a few different elements as defined in the existing SWSE ruleset and I just added another couple that I can use when I programmatically add them to the monster manual. There aren't any complex child elements like powers. I may also look to split out flat-footed AC values, SR and DR which are on a lot of the stat blocks but don't have a box on the NPC window yet.

For getting the stats from WOTC's site, I just go here
    WOTC Search Screen and do a search for [saga edition statistics] without the brackets. I'm currently copying/pasting chunks into my aspx form instead of the whole stat block. The nice thing is that you could also grab the corresponding image and make the token at the same time for most of those. It's not the complete list, but there are lot of them in the previews.
    Last edited by MeepoSose; October 15th, 2008 at 02:04.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurLovat
    That's a great feature you're offering us! Thanks a lot! ^_^

I understand you made some subtle changes to the SWSE-ruleset too. Will you make those available to the community?
    I'd be happy to provide whatever I come up with as long as nobody minds me posting stuff borrowed from others and mixed with my own twists. The community seems extremely friendly, though, so I don't expect to hear any objections. I've also been PM'd by others who have made their own changes. Maybe we can post a combined update to GoOrange's original SWSE ruleset.

Naw, feel free to use whatever you find helpful. I'm not even sure who designed the NPC grouping display. It was probably moon or JM. I'm pretty sure it was already built before I got into parsing the npcs.

I looked at the stats and they look significantly different than the 4E MM stats. They are fairly regular so something definitely could be written. I may get bored this weekend and take a crack at it. It's that or punch in more textreference data from the FR:CG or DMG.

Oh and others deserve most of the credit for the 4E ruleset. My changes are really minor (or rough ideas fixed up by more talented people). I just work on putting all the pretty data in.

SWSE library

I'm looking for a way to add library modules into my ruleset, or to find some. Specific library prints that I'm seeking are a feats compilation, an equipment list, and a talents complilation.

I've got the books, and I've got some great .pdf compilations made by fans. I guess I *could* make something like this myself, but after several attempts, it's still a fail. I could even get an edited module with a new name to show up in the d20 set.

I think I'm missing something important, and really could use the help (or if the work has been done, I'd appreciate the efforts of others even more ).

Just don't know what to do at this point.

Thread Information