Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RuzeII
    I think I'm missing something important, and really could use the help (or if the work has been done, I'd appreciate the efforts of others even more ).

Just don't know what to do at this point.
    I think the learning curve is a little steep still at this time. I haven't tackled the library modules for the feats, talents and equipment lists yet but I plan to do so fairly soon. There are two keys to figuring out how to structure your db.xml data files.

1. Get a good XML editor -- preferably one where you can collapse sections and check that the doc is well-formed
    2. Locate the section in the ruleset where that xml is traversed. The 4e_JPG does a really good job for the monsters lists. So I looked through the xml files there to see how they did it. Specifically, they use reference_monsters.xml. Look for matching class elements and datasource elements with name element values in your code.

I normally don't do much with XML but I'll try to explain anyway. Others can feel free to correct me if I misstate something.

These are the most relevant parts of reference_monsters.xml that I used
    Line 170 & 171
    Code:
    	<!-- Monster lists -->
    	<windowclass name="reference_classmonsterlist">
    * You'll note that I made sure this matched the section of my db.xml in the 2nd screenshot.

starting at Line 199, there was a nested windowlist
    Code:
    			<windowlist name="grouplist">
    				<bounds>17,40,-20,-14</bounds>
    				<datasource>.groups</datasource>
    				<class>reference_monstergrouplistitem</class>
    			</windowlist>
    * Note that the datasource gives the element name to use as a datasource. A script farther down in the file instructs the program to loop through these to get the windowlists.

Well, as I'm walking through this explanation, it dawns on me that I don't know it well enough myself to fully explain it.

Basically, just find one you already like and test making a few simple edits to things, re-zip it up and see where that changed your data or if it broke it. If you broke it, undo what you did and try something different. The core structure of most of the module files is that you have several layers of indexes and pointers and then finally the area where the data is actually stored. The CSRD had several locations where the data was stored, but I think the way the 4E guys laid out their xml was cleaner. All the monsterdata was placed in one location. If you made a new monster record, you merely need to add a pointer to it within the index where you want it displayed.

..and here is the last screenshot showing an actual data record. The data is the final stage.

Guys - I just want to say great work and I'm really stoked about this, Would LOVE to get under the hood and see how this ruleset stuff hangs together and works out. You've given me a head start ... I'll be watching things closely and maybe someday will be able to contribute....

Just an FYI, I've started working with Ruze on what we are calling the SWSE_II ruleset. Ruze based that ruleset on the 4E_JPG ruleset that he re-skinned and we've both modified to fit Star Wars. We'll probably track updates on the new thread SWSE_ii

Thread Information