STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Map size affecting software performance

Using the 5e Ruleset, I've just finished the line of sight layout and lighting for a couple of large maps from Dungeon of the Mad Mage. It's taken a fair amount of time and I'm in the fine tuning stages but I've noticed a significant performance dip in the software. I'll be able to grab an occluder point and move it, but if I attempt to grab another right away the program doesn't respond and the CPU fans on my PC ramp up. If I pause between releasing an occulder and picking up another one for at least 3 seconds then I get grab and move the second one.

This issue is also affecting how long it takes for a door to open or how long to add a token to the map as well.

I've checked my PC's performance monitors and I don't see anything there that shows a hardware limitation causing the issue.
    Cpu usage 8%, GPU 35%, Mem 35%

If I toggle line of sight off on the map then doors and such activate right away. I'm assuming it's just that there's so many occluders that it's bogging things down. I still have the delay though when trying to move occluders regardless of whether or not they are enabled.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    Last edited by MartianXi; April 23rd, 2024 at 17:06.

What are the pixel dimensions of the maps in question?

You can find our recommendations for image sizes here:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...age-Guidelines

Regards,
    JPG

The image is JPG at 4350x5910.

Blog Entries
    Well, make sure Lighting and LOS is turned off when you are adjusting the line elements. But that is only going to help a little. There are just too many calculations going on not to be a problem. And use as few points as possible.

I wish it were different, but this is why I don't add LOS to huge maps. For example, here's my level 1 of Undermountain (green polygon is DoMM area) and I don't think I'll ever be able to add LOS to this map and use a global mask instead and then LOS on breakout higher resolution combat maps.
    UM01-with DOMM.png
    Last edited by LordEntrails; April 23rd, 2024 at 17:16.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Well, make sure Lighting and LOS is turned off when you are adjusting the line elements. There are just too many calculations going on not to be a problem. And use as few points as possible.

I wish it were different, but this is why I don't add LOS to huge maps. For example, here's my level 1 of Undermountain (green polygon is DoMM area) and I don't think I'll ever be able to add LOS to this map and use a global mask instead and then LOS on breakout higher resolution combat maps.
    Attachment 60642
    I actually tried that after my first post and it didn't seem to make a difference. The masks are a good idea but I don't think I've been able to reveal sections in any way other than rectangular sections..

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    What are the pixel dimensions of the maps in question?

You can find our recommendations for image sizes here:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...age-Guidelines

Regards,
    JPG
    Do WebP images perform any better than JPG's?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartianXi View Post
    I actually tried that after my first post and it didn't seem to make a difference. The masks are a good idea but I don't think I've been able to reveal sections in any way other than rectangular sections..
    Wiki says hold ALT for a freeform reveal.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...GM#Reveal-Area

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's not about the storage format (i.e. WEBP vs. JPG vs. PNG); but about the actual dimensions of the image. Once images are loaded into memory, storage format is no longer relevant.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Wiki says hold ALT for a freeform reveal.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...GM#Reveal-Area
    Amazing... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartianXi View Post
    Using the 5e Ruleset, I've just finished the line of sight layout and lighting for a couple of large maps from Dungeon of the Mad Mage. It's taken a fair amount of time and I'm in the fine tuning stages but I've noticed a significant performance dip in the software. I'll be able to grab an occluder point and move it, but if I attempt to grab another right away the program doesn't respond and the CPU fans on my PC ramp up. If I pause between releasing an occulder and picking up another one for at least 3 seconds then I get grab and move the second one.

This issue is also affecting how long it takes for a door to open or how long to add a token to the map as well.

I've checked my PC's performance monitors and I don't see anything there that shows a hardware limitation causing the issue.
    Cpu usage 8%, GPU 35%, Mem 35%

If I toggle line of sight off on the map then doors and such activate right away. I'm assuming it's just that there's so many occluders that it's bogging things down. I still have the delay though when trying to move occluders regardless of whether or not they are enabled.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Kinda sucks because you already have it done, but what you can do is break it up into areas with LOS. Put the LOS on diff layers and break the map up into like 7 areas, so you always only have max 3 areas on at one time.

So you would break the map up into 7 pieces, with the left being 1 and the far right being 7.
    When the players are in area 1, you would put 1 and 2 layer on, when they are in 2, you put 1 2 and 3 on, when they are in 3 you put layer 2, 3 and 4 on, etc.

The other option is to "encounters maps" and not just a huge dungeon crawl, so you would have the big map, which you the GM can use without LOS but not give it out to the players. Then have Encounters that you've cut out of the big map with LOS that you put the players on.

There are limits to any VTT on LOS and map sizes for smooth play, just got to work within it.

More tokens = more lag, more LOS points = more lag, and more lighting effects = more lag.

Tokens is going to be the biggest lag factor then LOS, then way down the road lighting/FX effects.

Also with LOS, remember its each point of the LOS and not the # of walls. if your straight wall has 6 LOS points in it, that's like have 3 (2 LOS) walls. Which is a lot more to figure out than just having a straight point from A to B of LOS on a wall.
    This goes for rounding corners too, a circle is infinite amount of points in reality, however, you likely don't need it to be that smooth circle looking so try to use less LOS points when rounding things off like a pillar, I would use 6 points of LOS instead, making it a hexagon. If it's a super small map and you want to add a few more LOS points to make something look more circular, you will be ok. But when you get big maps LOS points really matter.

Thread Information