5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Kinda sucks because you already have it done, but what you can do is break it up into areas with LOS. Put the LOS on diff layers and break the map up into like 7 areas, so you always only have max 3 areas on at one time.

So you would break the map up into 7 pieces, with the left being 1 and the far right being 7.
    When the players are in area 1, you would put 1 and 2 layer on, when they are in 2, you put 1 2 and 3 on, when they are in 3 you put layer 2, 3 and 4 on, etc.
    You've done this and it works? What happens to FoW when you turn off the LOS with the explored area? i.e. when they move into area 3 and you turn off area 1. Also, do you put things like a terrain occluder on the edges so they don't see past the edge if there is a long hallway or such?

The other option is to "encounters maps" and not just a huge dungeon crawl, so you would have the big map, which you the GM can use without LOS but not give it out to the players. Then have Encounters that you've cut out of the big map with LOS that you put the players on.
    This is the approach I've taken so far. But if the other one works this might be obsolete (if it weren't for resolution).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You've done this and it works? What happens to FoW when you turn off the LOS with the explored area? i.e. when they move into area 3 and you turn off area 1. Also, do you put things like a terrain occluder on the edges so they don't see past the edge if there is a long hallway or such?
    Yes, I've done this and it works. I'm not sure about FOW once they get to a certain point normally they don't care to much about FOW, but I can double check.

You have to use it within reason, if you have a long hall way going left to right thru all the "zones" then you wont want to break it up like that.

You can also go an extra step and make a DM layer with colors to know which "zone" is which, just remember you going to want 2 to 3 zones active at all times because you need the touching zones active.
    You can also make an extra LOS layer that has basic cut offs so they can't see past it while the zones are active.

When I get more time I can give you my examples.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! You can see on my Undermountain map how that could be invaluable. Right now my assumed approach was building the player map from the encounter maps one at a time. Which still might be the suggestion, because with that they will each be a layer on a big player map. Gotta think about this. Thanks again

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Thanks! You can see on my Undermountain map how that could be invaluable. Right now my assumed approach was building the player map from the encounter maps one at a time. Which still might be the suggestion, because with that they will each be a layer on a big player map. Gotta think about this. Thanks again
    Yep, so I double checked and FOW works fine, they can still see it (as long as you don't move them to another map of course)

Here is the example.

You can see here it's split up into a zone of LOS with just that zone on. You have to do it smartly and know about cross over areas, so you would turn any over lapping area on plus the 2 touching it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Thread Information