FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Traits not Parsing Rolls

D&D 5E no extensions.
    I've noticed that various traits do not parse trait rolls for NPCs when placed on the Combat Tracker.

i.e. For instance, take the NPC Poison Dart Trap from the DMG and place it on the CT.
    Notice that the various Traits (such as Detection) do not parse a clickable roll on the combat tracker, and the text is not clickable in the trait itself.
    Screenshot 2024-04-19 181703.png

I could have sworn that FG used to parse those rolls into the CT. And atleast they should be able to be clickable to cause the save to happen from the trait. i.e. the following text should be a roll; "With a successful DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check, "

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    I don't remember FG ever parsing skill checks in NPC stat blocks. :/

Indeed. Skills have never been parsed in NPCs. Attacks, damage, saves, and conditions will parse but not skills. (The clue is that the text should highlight in the trait as you point out). I'm sure you are familiar with this https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ers#NPC-Traits
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Am I correct in saying that (regardless of auto-parsing), there is no way to just manually enter something like [CHECKVS: perception 15] or [CHKVS: wisdom (perception) 15] and have it be draggable onto other actors/tokens?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    Am I correct in saying that (regardless of auto-parsing), there is no way to just manually enter something like [CHECKVS: perception 15] or [CHKVS: wisdom (perception) 15] and have it be draggable onto other actors/tokens?
    You are correct. Skill checks for NPCs are made from the NPC sheet by either clicking on the 'C' icon next to the appropriate ability or double clicking on any listed skill in the skills section.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vass_Dts View Post
    I don't remember FG ever parsing skill checks in NPC stat blocks. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Indeed. Skills have never been parsed in NPCs. Attacks, damage, saves, and conditions will parse but not skills. (The clue is that the text should highlight in the trait as you point out). I'm sure you are familiar with this https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ers#NPC-Traits
    Hmm, ok. That's a bummer for traps and hazards. I'll put it in the Request List for future consideration. Named: NPC Trait Parsing to Rolls (5E)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Hmm, ok. That's a bummer for traps and hazards. I'll put it in the Request List for future consideration. Named: NPC Trait Parsing to Rolls (5E)
    In the example from the DMG in your first post it's the player who needs to make the investigation roll; and the player would need to be actively investigating (probably after some kind of passive perception check in the first place). Since skill checks don't have a target even if the trap was making the check it would be making a check on itself and not the PC (It would be using it's own investigation skill to make the roll - not the PCs). So I'm not sure how you'd get the trap to roll the check accurately. (I suppose it would mean adding in code to make the skill roll have a target and make a check similar to a saving throw).

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    Just to offer an alternative workaround, the free 'Requested Rolls' extension is a very solid solution to handle skill checks (among other things). They are not parsed from NPCs per se, but you have access to a panel where you can send a prompt to any CT Actor (PC or NPC) to make a check with a defined (or not defined) DC. It can be used to stage rolls (like, auto-prompting for stuff such as the Indomitable fighter feature). For me personally, it is one of my favorite extensions, and a major quality of life boon for both me and my players (you'd be surprised how much players do NOT miss having to switch from the Actions tab to the Skills tab for checks--I also use it to prompt Initiative rolls for that matter).

And like I said, it's free.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/273/view

Quote Originally Posted by Vass_Dts View Post
    Just to offer an alternative workaround, the free 'Requested Rolls' extension is a very solid solution to handle skill checks (among other things). They are not parsed from NPCs per se, but you have access to a panel where you can send a prompt to any CT Actor (PC or NPC) to make a check with a defined (or not defined) DC. It can be used to stage rolls (like, auto-prompting for stuff such as the Indomitable fighter feature). For me personally, it is one of my favorite extensions, and a major quality of life boon for both me and my players (you'd be surprised how much players do NOT miss having to switch from the Actions tab to the Skills tab for checks--I also use it to prompt Initiative rolls for that matter).

And like I said, it's free.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/273/view
    I might have to try that again... I bounced off of it at first, but that was some time ago...

Also, if you have the screen real estate as a player, "5E - Floating Tabs" can let you have multiple tabs open at the same time, which was awesome for the (checks notes...) 2 sessions I was a player in the last 4 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    In the example from the DMG in your first post it's the player who needs to make the investigation roll; and the player would need to be actively investigating (probably after some kind of passive perception check in the first place). Since skill checks don't have a target even if the trap was making the check it would be making a check on itself and not the PC (It would be using it's own investigation skill to make the roll - not the PCs). So I'm not sure how you'd get the trap to roll the check accurately. (I suppose it would mean adding in code to make the skill roll have a target and make a check similar to a saving throw).
    The more I think about it, the more I agree that the distinction in 5e between checks and saves almost implies that this coding shouldn't be there. It might be nice to have "Detection" parse some reminder text so you don't have to click to open it... it just states the check and DC even though it isn't actionable by dragging it to a target.

Thread Information