FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Moving Windows - Left-Click & Drag

I'm finding it all too easy to accidentally move windows around in FGU (D&D 5e) when I'm not trying to.

Is there any option to have Left-Click & Drag only move a window when clicking on the header of that window instead of anywhere in it?
    Last edited by rocketvaultgames; April 7th, 2024 at 22:16.

Blog Entries
    No. I've heard talk of an extension that locks windows, but not sure what or if it exists.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    I would like to go on record stating that I like the functionality of dragging a window from whenever and would loath a switch to header-only-drag. Just in case any of the devs gets the idea to change this. :P

Header dragging would not work as a general plan, as windows can easily be placed off the top of the window and you need to be able to grab on other parts of the window to move them.

Regards,
    JPG

I agree with Moonwizard. I sometimes have a GM share a large map and the top is off screen, so being able to click and drag it from anywhere inside is essential.

Very interesting... I'm definitely not saying I'm right about this.... but I feel like if only headers were draggable (like Windows Explorer), a window would never have it's header entirely off the screen.

The situations I see in the case that only headers were draggable compared to the current state:

1. Top window completely covers bottom window - No change.
    2. Top window partially covers bottom window (header at least partially exposed) - Click and drag on exposed bottom window header.
    3. Top window completely covers bottom window's header - Single click anywhere on exposed bottom window then click and drag it with header.

Number 3 adds a click, but the who scheme prevents accidentally moving windows, especially if FGU lags and registers a click in an unintended location.

Currently Control-Left-Click-Drag resizes windows. I'd suggest making Shift-Left-Click-Drag move windows.

Ultimately a robust set of key-bind options could make it so each user could tailor things to their liking, but that is well beyond the scope of what I'm asking about here.

Thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    Very interesting... I'm definitely not saying I'm right about this.... but I feel like if only headers were draggable (like Windows Explorer), a window would never have it's header entirely off the screen.

The situations I see in the case that only headers were draggable compared to the current state:

1. Top window completely covers bottom window - No change.
    2. Top window partially covers bottom window (header at least partially exposed) - Click and drag on exposed bottom window header.
    3. Top window completely covers bottom window's header - Single click anywhere on exposed bottom window then click and drag it with header.

Number 3 adds a click, but the who scheme prevents accidentally moving windows, especially if FGU lags and registers a click in an unintended location.

Currently Control-Left-Click-Drag resizes windows. I'd suggest making Shift-Left-Click-Drag move windows.

Ultimately a robust set of key-bind options could make it so each user could tailor things to their liking, but that is well beyond the scope of what I'm asking about here.

Thank you all for your input.
    I have to agree with Vass_Dts. Using only the mouse to drag a window is the optimum setting. Having to use shift and the mouse would require me to use both hands! How else am I supposed to eat or drink while moving the 19 windows I have open?

Quote Originally Posted by The Decepticon View Post
    I have to agree with Vass_Dts. Using only the mouse to drag a window is the optimum setting. Having to use shift and the mouse would require me to use both hands! How else am I supposed to eat or drink while moving the 19 windows I have open?
    To be clear, under the scheme I was suggesting, it would still be single hand single-left-click-drag as long as the click was on the header. The Shift modifier would just enable a way to click anywhere (as is the behavior without Shift now).

This all stems from how frequently my players (and I) complain about accidentally moving the CT (or other windows) when trying to pick up dice (or click a button or whatever) and the game lags slightly, registering a click somewhere else in the body of that window, and thus dragging the whole window. It would be less annoying to simply fail to click what was intended, but not have a whole window move... that now needs to be readjusted (usually while everyone is waiting on you to do something).

I've been using windows in computer since the 1980s and you can definitely drag a window outside of the UI even with only headers as the drag-able part. Then try to work out how to get it back where you want....

That said, a lock in place option would be useful for all windows and especially the CT

Thread Information