FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Generic Tokens

Generic Tokens

I know a lot of you guys like to use picture tokens taken from the monster pictures. I personally enjoy using generic tokens and showing a full picture of the creature. The standard FGII tokens work great but there is not enough variety in them.

I am looking for some ideas on how best to go about generating these tokens. I plan on making a standard template (the design is still on the board) that will use a wide variety of colors. Then I will apply on the top of the tokens a single character from a true type font. I hope to do every character in each font by the time I am done. (or at least pick several unique fonts).

Then I will output a 50*50 png file for use in FGII. I am debating if I should do a 100 * 100 as well.

The main question is on the style of the token. I threw this together about 10 minutes ago. It is a 100*100 tan token. Does the lettering need to take up a larger percentage of the total token? Should I change the border any?

Ok here is a whole character set on the tan token. (actually it is only 44 characters plus a blank token)

The tokens range from A-Z 0-9 and a few symbols.

They are 100*100 so you need to adjust the token size in the program. Tell me what you think.

Nice. Crisp and clear. And good for proxies when you don't have a proper token.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Nice looking tokens, and a splendid idea, but I'd prefer a bit more room for the character and slightly less border - just a personal thing.

Great work Master!

Stuart

I have to agree on less border. I think the bigger the letter the better off you are when the map is zoomed out.

The token looks nice, it kind of reminds me of the "coin" tokens WotC did for 3rd ed.

I like abstract tokens too.

The issue I have with circles is that there is no way to say what way they're facing. For some games and or game logic that makes a difference. I add flairs to circles at the "top" so that you can spin them to face one way or the other.

I guess you'll be fine with capital letters for orientation though.

Little shields are my favourite.
    Last edited by Sigurd; March 17th, 2008 at 13:40.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

I thought about the rotation problem too. Normally though we just use pointers to show direction and leave the token orientation alone since rotation messes up the shading and makes them look strange. I might address that somehow once I settle on a format.

Below are 5 more variations to compare with the original. Let me know which ones work better if it isnt too much trouble.

Is the checkered fringe on E and F checkered or transparent?

I think simple is best so D is my vote. Especially for an abstract token plain is a bonus.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

The checker on the last two is just a lighting variation.

Here are a few more. It is the same style with 4 variants.

Thread Information