5E Character Create Playlist

Syrinscape "generate" button

Hi!

About the generate button in the Syrinscape window (in FGU), should I clic on it only one time, or each time I start FGU ?
    Last edited by DjPoke; February 19th, 2024 at 08:40.
    Ready
    _

Each time you want to start a session click on the Generate button to start the player and then invite your players. Wait until all your players have joined before doing so.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you Zacchaeus
    Last edited by DjPoke; February 19th, 2024 at 14:04.
    Ready
    _

I wouldn't recommend generating a new web player URL - do it once only and then you should be fine. I've seen issues occur when players have bookmarked previous URLs and then open that page and they're then connecting to an old session. There's no need to generate a new URL, the previous one will be remembered and used for the Invitation you can post in chat.

As mentioned in the FG Wiki: "NOTE: Only Generate the Web Player Session URL once - if you do it again, then you'll get a new session ID and will need to use that in all links - so if you've stored any Syrinscape FG link within a Story or Message of the Day entry, these will need to be recreated."

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...r-your-Players
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you Trenloe
    Ready
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I wouldn't recommend generating a new web player URL - do it once only and then you should be fine. I've seen issues occur when players have bookmarked previous URLs and then open that page and they're then connecting to an old session. There's no need to generate a new URL, the previous one will be remembered and used for the Invitation you can post in chat.

As mentioned in the FG Wiki: "NOTE: Only Generate the Web Player Session URL once - if you do it again, then you'll get a new session ID and will need to use that in all links - so if you've stored any Syrinscape FG link within a Story or Message of the Day entry, these will need to be recreated."

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...r-your-Players
    So are you saying that once a session id is generated that is remembered even when you close out FG and then open it the following week or whatever? And all you need do is click the invite players button.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    So are you saying that once a session id is generated that is remembered even when you close out FG and then open it the following week or whatever? And all you need do is click the invite players button.
    Yep, exactly!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The session ID is stored in the campaign database - it's specific to a campaign. For example:

Code:
    <settings>
    	<sound>
    		<ss>
    			<authtoken type="string">...redacted....</authtoken>
    			<playersession type="string">https://app.syrinscape.com/e294026850d5475eb8ad159e9e8769f5/</playersession>
    			<sessionid type="string">e294026850d5475eb8ad159e9e8769f5</sessionid>
    		</ss>
    	</sound>
    </settings>
    So this is remembered from session to session for that campaign and used for the chat invitation.

I'll usually include a link in the message of the day, which would be invalidated if I generated another URL session ID.

Well blow me; I was not aware of that. This probably is a big part of the reason I have so much difficulty in my players joining a session, since I thought you needed to generate a new session each 'session'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    This probably is a big part of the reason I have so much difficulty in my players joining a session, since I thought you needed to generate a new session each 'session'.
    More than likely. I wrote a reply to a thread a few months ago with a lot of detail around all of this, where someone was having what sounds like similar issues to you, but I can't find it now...

Thread Information