DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Adding New Story Entries to Existing Module

Hey,

So, I'm merging DoIP, LMoP, and a touch of homebrew into one adventure. I've loaded by DoIP and LMoP into FGU, and I've started creating some new Story entries. As an example, DoIP has the following Story sections:

etc.

I created story sections 00.00.00 and 00.00.01, as well as 01.00.03 and 01.00.04, so the Story entries look like this:

00.00.00 --> mine
    00.00.01 --> mine
    01.00.03 --> mine
    01.00.04 --> mine
    etc.

When I open my story (00.00.00) and use the arrows at the bottom to go to the next story, it moves to 00.00.01 then SKIPS to module stories and moves to my next story (01.00.03). How do I "embed" my stories with the default module stories, so that they correctly flow when clicking through?

Each story must have a unique alpha numeric - you can't have duplicates. You'll need to come up with different numerals. Your first one could be 00.00.00.00 then 00.00.00.01 After 02 try 01.00.02A then B etc and it should drop back to 03. Also anything created in the campaign is not going to be the same as what's in a module so you'll need to copy the original story entries first before you start adding your own if you want it to flow.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hey! It's THE Zaccaeus - thanks for taking time to respond!

I'm attaching an image to help with the explanation. I created new story entries:

"01.00.01 Intro - Character Hooks"

Which appears in the Story group at the beginning (as you can see in the screenshot). When I click the "next" button, it correctly goes to the next story entries I created:

"01.00.01.a Character Backstory..."
    (etc)
    "01.00.04 - Goblin Ambush"

But when I click next on Goblin Ambush, it should go to the next sequencial story (01.01.00 The Adventure Begins), but it doesn't. It skips to the next story I created, "01.03.01.a Stonehill Inn - Gambling."

It's as if my custom stories aren't correctly embedded into the DoIP stories. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by wigginshd; January 27th, 2024 at 22:07. Reason: adding image

Yes, I understand but I perhaps didn't explain too well. When you create a new story entry in a campaign it is unique to that campaign and each story entry is given an internal reference in the xml code of the database for the campaign. Each module that you open also has a unique name for each story entry, but that reference is inside a module and not inside the campaign. So in order to insert your own story entries into a module you'll need to first of all copy all of the stories into your campaign (that is make a copy of each individual story entry by drag/dropping back into the story list). This will add these stories to the campaign and it will give them a unique id in the database for the campaign. Once you have done that you can then 'insert' entries into that list of your own using the sequence that I suggested above. But you can't embed story entries into an existing module inside a campaign unless that campaign was the one which was used to create the module in the first place.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That did it! Thank you, Zacchaeus!

Blog Entries
    I would consider you creating your own merge module. Create a campaign, called a development campaign.
    Copy all the content from the various modules you want into it. Then copy, rename, and edit as desired. Then export, and only open that one module in your play campaign.

It may or may not be worth it. It's a lot of work, but cleaner and more re-usable than what you are currently doing. Something to think about.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information