DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I have an acquaintance with that same motherboard model (MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI) as your prefab. In his case a long beep that doesn't stop meant a problem with RAM.
    Have you already tried removing one stick of RAM at a time? By that I mean remove one RAM stick, launch the game, see if it beeps; if it still beeps, put that RAM stick back on, remove another, launch the game; if you have more than 2 RAM sticks continue until you've tested them all. You might have 1 (or more) faulty RAM sticks.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and help. The community here is awesome. I ultimately landed on, i didn't want to spend that much money on a pc I had to troubleshoot on day 1 so returned and ordered an alienware with same specs, larder ssd and 600 less. The online retailer was good with the return. MSI was not at all helpful in my experience.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I would have thought RAM and having to troubleshoot on day 1 of a new system is not a good sign.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

So, I received the new pc (virtually identical specs, but Alienware instead of MSI) and getting a similar issue BUT, with an apparent solution that I guess suggests a root cause? Here's the deal. I'm running on a 49inch monitor which runs several games in borderless windows. While the high-pitched tone doesn't start on launch of a graphics intensive game- it does trigger as soon as I leave a menu and stops as soon as I go back in. It appears that it starts when I start churning a high FPS (not sure what the cut off is but 600 was the last one). However, if I set an FPS cap to 100 (it may be higher numbers work, I haven't tested), then the tone stops.

Is this expected behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Is this expected behavior?
    No... that's still weird.

At this point, just for the sake of it: have you tried using a different monitor? It's the only thing that remained constant between the two configurations, so... what monitor is the 49inch you're using? Is it a g-sync monitor by any chance?

What vsync setting are you using in Fantasy Grounds? Pop this into the chat box and press return:

/vsync

Once you know whether it's running at, by default it's 1, you can try some of the other numeric values to see if that helps.

/vsync 0 = 60 fps
    /vsync 1 = OS defined frame rate for monitor (default)
    /vsync 2 = 1/2 OS frame rate
    /vsync 3 = 1/3 OS frame rate
    /vsync 4 = 1/4 OS frame rate

Have a look in the House of Healing section and see whether there's anything that matches up with your issue.

It doesn't happen in fantasygrounds, just graphics intensive games. The monitor is a Samsung odyssey g9 and is gysync compatible. I did run firmware updates and downloaded the driver from their website but the issue remains. The monitor works fine with my old pc, but haven't yet tried a different monitor on the new gear to see if the issue remains.

I do have gsync enabled and v sync disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    The monitor is a Samsung odyssey g9 and is gysync compatible.
    [...]
    I do have gsync enabled and v sync disabled.
    Right, so, I do remember reading a couple years ago about some users that reported their NVidia graphic cards whistling and/or beeping if they reached very high FPS while connected to G-Sync monitors. I can't for the life of me find any reference to it any more, but when you mentioned that putting a cap to FPS seems to stop it, that's what made me remember, because that's exactly the workaround that was suggested back then. Usually it's enough to put a cap equal to your monitor's refresh rate (e.g. 60 for a 60Hz monitor, 144 for a 144Hz monitor, you get the idea). What exactly is happening that causes the beep, I have no clue; but if you try another non-gsync monitor WITHOUT the FPS cap and it doesn't cause the beep, it will confirm that the issue is indeed linked to the use of your g-sync monitor.

And perhaps the final solution amd it might never have been the pc...but my ups. It appeared to me the sound was coming from the pc on the desk.....but the sound came on again and this time the pc shut off....which freaked me out...
    But then I saw the ups had shut off under the desk...the ups is older and may have crashed under the load of the ultrawide and 4090. I moved the monitor and pc to separate surge protectors and so far the sound does not trigger even without an fps cap.

Blog Entries
    lol, well, it always is the last thing you check!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information