STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Help With New Desktop Beep Tone Alarm

I've had good success with asking general PC questions of the community here and hoping for better success than I have had with the manufacturer.

I recently purchased an MSI Infinite RS 13NUI-421US with a NVIDIA 4090, I9-13900KF CPU, 64gb RAM and liquid cooling. Sounds great, right? Problem is, whenever I launch a game, the deskptop will immediately sound a loud beep which does not stop until I stop the game - and then it immediately stops. I have checked the component seatings in the case, updated drivers, flashed the bios, and uninstalled/reinstalled the NVIDIA driver. None of that fixes the issue and MSI is telling me it is expected coil whine (it is not). Couple that with the fact that I am being told I have to pay to ship to a servicer and I am very unhappy with my purchase. Has anyone come across a similar issue and found a way to fix?

Sounds like a motherboard cpu or a system warning? Check and see if there's settings in your BIOS for warning signals that happen under a high load.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Sounds like a motherboard cpu or a system warning? Check and see if there's settings in your BIOS for warning signals that happen under a high load.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Nylanfs- No bios setting that appeared to be alarm or high load related as far as I could see.

That's strange, when I was working in hardware manufacturing, a beeping sound like you're describing almost always indicated a warning code of some kind (and usually a defect). If you're sure it's not a beep-code, then I'm truly at a loss.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Definitely a hardware issue. You might try ensuring all the memory DIMMS are seated well but, honestly, my first guess is cooling. Like, it's fine for normal desktop stuff but as soon as you put a load on it... boom. When you're in the bios and looking at the system screen, your CPU temp shouldn't be more than 40-45 degrees C with motherboard temp around 35C. If it's more than that just in the bios, it's definitely a cooling problem.
    --
    I'm so bassic

I just had a thought. Is the beep actually coming from the motherboard? I've had monitors whine when MPRT is turned on. It's a function to smooth fast motion that essentially turns the LED backlight off for a section of the frame.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    I just had a thought. Is the beep actually coming from the motherboard? I've had monitors whine when MPRT is turned on. It's a function to smooth fast motion that essentially turns the LED backlight off for a section of the frame.
    It's hard for me to tell where it's coming from....I assumed the mobo, but definitely from within the case. Temps are between 49 and 59 when I run checks. Thanks for the help but I'm leaning toward just returning for a refund at this point and starting over

are your fans running, especially the CPU fan? SMART hard drive warning?
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Typically on MSI this is either a connected fan not spinning up or your PSU is having problems. Check all your mobo fan sockets are hooked up properly.

Honestly, if you can return it for no cost - I'd send it back if you can't find a loose power supply or fan cable/wire. Whoever you bought it from should be able to troubleshoot and replace or repair it.

If they are going to charge you shipping/restocking, I would also make sure you don't have a bad fan - since a replacement fan might be less than the shipping/restocking fee.

Thread Information