5E Character Create Playlist

One player can't see NPCs in Combat Tracker - SOLVED

Hi all;

As the title says, one of the four players in my D&D 5E campaign doesn't see NPCs in his Combat Tracker. The other three players, and me, see both the PCs and NPCs in our respective Combat Trackers, but he doesn't.

I've checked my campaign Options, and I have the Player: Show turn order option, which I believe is relevant one, set to All. I've checked his Options, and his Player: Show turn order is also set to All, but if I'm understanding correctly, it's the setting in my Options that matters, since it's my campaign.

None of the players are running any addons, and the only addon I'm running is the "Has Initiative Indicator" addon.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Kalathan; December 28th, 2023 at 02:02.

Blog Entries
    He can delete his player campaign cache (<FG Data>/cache/<campaign name>) and then reconnect to your game. It's best to do that when other players are not connected so he doesn't have any bandwidth contention.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You understand correctly that only the DM can set options; but show turn order has nothing to do with whether a player can see what's on the CT. If a player can't see NPCs on the Combat tracker then that player has an issue either with their install or with some software on their computer which is preventing the flow of information from the host machine. I assume that you have checked that the player has the same version of FG as you do? If not then the player needs to update their client. The player could also exit your campaign and try deleting their cache folder (found in FGData/cacahe/campaign name, before rejoining your game).

Generally if the player can't see things on the CT then they should also be having issues with other things; like modules not loading; images not sharing properly etc. But you don't mention any of that; perhaps you could give us more details on any other issues that the player experiences. (It may also be useful to get a couple of screenshots from the player to see what exactly they are seeing; compared to what you or one of the other players see).

So the possibilities are that the player has a really slow internet connection and so it is taking a long time for data to get to them. Another is some software such as anti virus is blocking FG's operation; or in a similar vein some software on their router is blovking or slowing down data transfer. Here's a couple of articles to have a look at which may have relevance. https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications and https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 15th, 2023 at 21:16.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I'm 99% certain everyone's running the same version of FGU. We play on Wednesday nights, and everyone knows that Tuesday is release day, so starting up FGU and clicking on the "Check for Updates" button to update to the latest version before we start is burned into everyone's consciousness.

Looking at my original question, I perhaps should have made it clearer. The one player can see PCs in the Combat Tracker, he just can't see the NPCs. That's why I was looking at the Player: Show turn order option in my settings (and his) as a possible culprit. He doesn't have issues with seeing anything else (maps, tokens, dice rolls, movement, etc.) during a gaming session. We use Zoom at the same time for chatting, and there are no issues there either.

I'll reach out to him and see if we can delete the player cache as LordEntrails suggests before our next session. I'll let you know if that fixes the issue (having working in IT for 30+ years, I know how frustrating it can be if someone you're trying to help doesn't tell you if the proposed solution actually fixed their problem!)

If deleting the cache doesn't fix the issue please ask the player to take a screenshot showing the issue and then post that here - it may just help in case there's something the player might be doing or not seeing, or if there is an underlying issue.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

SOLVED - Lord Entrail's suggestion - Delete his cache file for my campaign, and then reconnect - fixed his issue. Thanks very much L.E.!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalathan View Post
    SOLVED - Lord Entrail's suggestion - Delete his cache file for my campaign, and then reconnect - fixed his issue. Thanks very much L.E.!
    Thanks for letting us know you got it solved. Happy Gaming!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information