DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Game tonight had lots of problems but we mangaged to work around them

From my game tonight with 5E and extensions- the issues were with 6 players and myself as host in a campaign map we were continuing from a session a month ago. All the tokens for NPCs were dynamic moving ones. Here are the problems we had:

• The rolls would trigger multiple die rolls for one double click a number of times (seemed a bit random so likely timing has been impacted and not guarded against with double click).

• The NPCs, after I first moved them and then selected something else and back to select them again, would appear to only be selectable by health bar for me and players (not always).

• One time the end of a round did the random order option and started near bottom of the order when setting active turn at start of round.

I've seen the first and third one come up once or twice in the past - but was much more frequent this time around. I think those are timing issues - but that is a guess.

The second one was an FGU bug - only it was very consistent and then fixed by FGU - this time it happens a lot but not 100% of the time like the last time FGU had token bug.

And the unannounced code change blowing Map Parcels out of the water I've addressed in its forum thread.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

To address your points:

Double-click double rolling
    All buttons use single click for rolling. If they are double-clicked, they will trigger twice.

NPC Tokens not selectable after moving and selection
    If you have any detail on how to recreate this, it would be appreciated. Were the tokens specifically portrait tokens (i.e. auto-generated tokens from portrait selections)? Were the tokens animated?

Random Order
    Are you talking about the "Combat: Roll init each round" option? I haven't heard any reports of any issue with that and I haven't pushed a ruleset update to Live since Aug. Did you turn it on in the middle of a combat? Any ideas on how to recreate?

Regards,
    JPG

Double clicking to roll is used almost every where: CT NPC attack/damage/save, NPC sheet attack/damage/save, PC action sheet attack/damage/save - weapons if I recall - always get confused there.

NPCs were all animated and on Rhime of Frostmaiden goblin fortress map which has a lot of green LOS they are moving on and off of. Also noted things seem to have to be farther back from terrain (green LOS) to be actually blocked from view (huts in same map). Not sure I can duplicate with just host as it was with 6 players online.

The bad end round active turn selection does not always happen so not sure what pattern or what any of players were doing when it happens.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; December 5th, 2023 at 11:09.

The button rolling has been standardized as a single click for quite a while (at least 6-12 months). I believe that some rulesets still use double-click for activating string field actions (i.e. non-buttons)

Thanks for the info. I'll have Carl investigate.

Random Order
    No idea either. If you figure out a pattern, please let us know.

Regards,
    JPG

I only play 5E. And I assure you the only things not doing a double click roll are the actions tab (NOT WEAPONS SECTION). Everything else is double click to attack/damage/save and that has not changed. Just checked in non extension 5E and still double click.

So don't know what your testing with - but its not 5E.

Yeah, 5e here. Same. Double click for all rolls.

In 5E, if you are looking at the action tabs, all of the action buttons are single click, because they are buttons. Anything that looks like a field with text or a number is double click.
    I've attached an image with blue outlines for the "buttons" vs. the red outlines for the "fields".

As mentioned above, nothing about this has changed in recent times (at least 6-12 months if not longer).

My goal is to eventually move to buttons as much as possible for all rolls to reduce confusion and clicks, but as @SilentRuin will surely agree with, every change has its cost.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    In 5E, if you are looking at the action tabs, all of the action buttons are single click, because they are buttons. Anything that looks like a field with text or a number is double click.
    I've attached an image with blue outlines for the "buttons" vs. the red outlines for the "fields".

As mentioned above, nothing about this has changed in recent times (at least 6-12 months if not longer).

My goal is to eventually move to buttons as much as possible for all rolls to reduce confusion and clicks, but as @SilentRuin will surely agree with, every change has its cost.

Regards,
    JPG
    To get back on track - in 5E we experienced many weapon attacks rolling twice - randomly - for double clicks - which pretty much all PC weapon attacks are. If the code is smart enough by context to execute these things on single clicks then I'm all for it. Including all the token stuff. Double clicking is the curse of timing issues in FGU.

And every change has its costs only if it impacts me, as extensions exist - seemingly redundantly breaking a function into several each containing the code someone may want to override is never a bad thing. As long as the original call is left intact as much as possible - there is no impact. But it has to be thought of at change time. Not after.

Actually looking through double click functionality on text items I don't see how you can get rid of that and replace with buttons where the text has to support being edited also (CT NPC offense lines and sheets text). I would think any double click processing would not allow for some single click processing to slip in - but it does. That should be air tight regardless if you use it much or not.

Two places I notice it going bonkers with lots of clients or busy map is in double click of

• A token where it seems to be doing all sorts of lighting garbage selection triggered stuff as if it were a single click - tis a double click should not be processing vision single click stuff

• In text die rolls (attack/damage/save) - somehow it interprets it as two separate click processing even though it only should be processed on double click

Fix these issues where double click does not somehow slip into single click processing and you'd solve a lot of your mystery can't duplicate problems people have reported over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The button rolling has been standardized as a single click for quite a while (at least 6-12 months). I believe that some rulesets still use double-click for activating string field actions (i.e. non-buttons)

Thanks for the info. I'll have Carl investigate.

Regards,
    JPG
    Any chance these two will be addressed by my Mondays game? I've removed all animated tokens from my map but was hoping against hope something might have been discovered about these two things.

Particularly:

• Why double clicks have map process single click functionality in vision all the time (should not) and rolls process them as single clicks sometimes (should not).

• Why tokens require selection of health bar sometimes to get token selected or dragged (I remember this as a map bug way back when but thought it was fixed). Seems when moving around terrain LOS and transitioning is when it gets "lost" on selectability of whole token but not sure.

Thread Information