5E Character Create Playlist

After updating FGU I lost almost all campaign data

Hi, so I "checked for update" and after the update happened I notice I can no longer load my campaign.

I checked the folder "The Fracture" (name of the campaign) in C:\Users\jacek\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\The Fracture.

Most relevant files are missing. There some image files, but all custom items, NPCs, handcrafted maps, thousands of words of story entries and notes... gone. I attached screenshot of my campaign folder.

Close to 100 hours went into making of that campaign.

I can't even begin to explain how I feel at this moment.

Is everything gone?

Edit:
    I noticed that I am in "Live" channel for updates.

Edit 2:
    I found information about restoring campaign to previous save, by renaming "db.session.20231201.xml" to "db.xml"... it dosen't seem to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ActuallyUlysses; December 2nd, 2023 at 16:37.

Updates do not change anything in the campaigns folder; so the data would still exist as it did before the update. Only the application client and rulesets/extensions/modules would be updated. Perhaps you can zip up your campaign folder to see if any of us can see what is going on?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Updates do not change anything in the campaigns folder; so the data would still exist as it did before the update. Only the application client and rulesets/extensions/modules would be updated. Perhaps you can zip up your campaign folder to see if any of us can see what is going on?

Regards,
    JPG
    I have no idea what happened. All that I was able to see, was that yesterday I was doing prep work without any issues. Today, right before I clicked "Load campaign" button, I noticed red box around "Check updates" and after client finished updating, the "Load campaign" button was greyed out.

I have no idea what happened under the hood, but this haven't happened to me before.

Anyway, I managed to fix it. The "db.xml" was not working, because FGU client requires additional files to recognize that folder contains capaign data. Luckliy, I had both xml file with save state from 2 days ago AND back up of entire campaign from 1 month ago. By switching xml files (and renaming to db.xml) in that backup file I was able to rebuild most campaign files. At least most important ones.

I would love to learn what is the likely explenation for that wipe of my campaign files.

Edit:
    A moment ago I noticed that all of non-FGU sourced modules (interior packs, Forge stuff) that I got from DM Guild were also removed from FGU folder. It looks like everything in that folder was reset.

This is truly bizzare.
    Last edited by ActuallyUlysses; December 2nd, 2023 at 19:29.

The only thing I can think of is that you either have two installs of FGU or you have changed where your data folders are stored (or some kind of anti virus or permissions issue has caused them to be stored elsewhere). You can check by doing a search of your hard drive for db.xml to find out if you have data in two different places and searching for FantasyGrounds.exe should help in tracking whether you have two installs.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Do you have any backup software, cloud syncing or sharing going on with that folder?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information