STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    Actually the ruleset by DA contains artwork and code not covered in the OGL. Remember the OGL applies to the OGL content which would be the SRD, character sheet stat blocks, etc. It does not apply to custom code, artwork, or the package as a whole.

I would advise you to consult with Kevin at Digital Adventures if you want to talk about ruleset modifications and distribution.
    Josh is correct (thank you sir). The content of the product falls under the OGL license, but the presentation belongs to Digital Adventures. As with anything FG you can modify things for personal use only; if you up any part of any Digital Adventures product up for public download, in whole or modified from, that would be a copyright violation and would have to get legally involved. I would appreciate if the FG community did not do this, or at least check with me first to see if it is OK since I really hate to get lawyers involved. The firm of Kneesmash, Kidneypunch, & Hematoma recently raised their hourly rates, so if I have to hire them I'll be making sure to get my money's worth.

* Attack and save rolls from a character sheet will call out automatic successes and failures, as well as roll confirmation rolls for critical threats.
    Also while you don't have to worry about this as long as you aren't using the d20 system trademark (which is part of the original d20 ruleset and Fantasy Grounds), these kind of things are generally something SmiteWorks has to avoid. They do violate the interactive game portion of the d20 system license.

3.5Ruleset question

How do I create a character for the ruleset the GM is running? For example, the GM of the campaign I'm joining is using the D&D 3rd Edition Rules and when I open my FGII program it asks what ruleset I wish to manage characters for and the only option is d20. Do I need to download something else??

You connect to your GM's session across the network, and create your character after. Your client will download the relevant ruleset from your GM, and your character will be stored on your GM's computer.

jthm0138
    Edited since my advice is not wanted by the community at large.
    Last edited by jthm0138; March 13th, 2008 at 23:17.

Wow

All I can say is you are the man--this rules. What a time saver. My players will see this for the first time Saturday, I can't wait to see their reactions.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Thank you for sharing this JPG. Both my players and I think your modifications are awesome. I am still using v1.0, but intend to update as soon as possible.

I am still new to Fantasy Grounds though, and while I am a fast learner, it is still difficult for me (I have no programming background) to trouble-shoot the cause of errors. One my players and I have encountered with the client-side combat tracker occurs when the host does a “full clear” of his/her tracker. After a full clear, the host tracker operates normally, but the client-side tracker seems to give up and no longer updates information. Is there another modification I have to enact that I simply wasn’t aware of?

There very may well be some steps that I missed. Like I said, I’m brand new to FG, and do not know very much about using modified rulesets (or even custom modules). Any clues as to what might be going wrong would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    -JJG

PS. I thought about signing with my name, Jeff, but I realized that I don’t know what the J in your initials stands for (JPG). I didn’t want to make it seem like I was usurping your name in the event that it was Jeff G.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. You can also reach me through a private message to discuss additions, bugs, etc. I have been talking to others already.

The ruleset additions that I am making are completely independent, and open to anyone to use. I plan to continue developing the ruleset, so let me know what you are up to if you are considering adding more functionality.

Cheers,
    JPG

On the client combat tracker issue, please let me know how you did the "full clear" of the host combat tracker, so I can attempt to re-create on my machine and debug.

Cheers,
    JPG

Someone has asked me about what my ongoing plans are for this ruleset. My additions are mostly driven by what I think will make my personal games run better, as well as taking into consideration feedback from the community.

If you're interested, here's my running list. I'm not sure if these are even possible, but they are features I want to look into doing.

* PCGen output sheet upgrades (spells for non-base classes, class skill flags set, class sub-labels done correctly)
    * Remember which windows are open between sessions
    * Remember zoom and view position on image windows
    * Button to reset cast spells
    * Button to reset initiative
    * More spell automation (roll saves, apply effects/damage)
    * More combat automation (AC comparison, DR apply)
    * Ability to apply conditions/effects that impact rolls to a PC/NPC

Some others I've seen people ask for that sound do-able, and interesting.

* Player-to-player whisper (with GM review)
    * Encounter load/save/clear (for combat tracker)
    * NPC spell tracking

Also, here are some items I have tried that may need additional functionality from FG.

* Resizable chat window
    * Remember main window size and location
    * Display dice roll totals in the chat window dice control
    * Better targeting (ability to pull list of targets from a combat tracker entry, dialog box to specify particular target for a roll)
    * Automatic importing of PCGen output files (currently have to cut and paste into db.xml)

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information