FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Like all things, that will remain to be seen. Thay have stated they are not going to pull licenses from the other VTT's ... but we all know Wizards isn't always truthful. It also remains to be seen if their VTT actually launches. Their DnD Beyond one may actually be their best vtt idea yet.

The agreement with WotC that SmiteWorks has would not remove any content that you have already purchased, although it would probably not be updated any further outside of break\fixes. Even if Smiteworks stopped functioning as a company, you would still be able to use FG locally, but would need to know how to open ports on your network for someone to join (and how to explain to them how to do so). The launcher and the Lobby end up going through what SW has setup, but it is not necessary for their end to be up and functioning for you to be able to use the software. So even if WotC were to decide not to renew their license contract with SW, you would still retain what you have purchased.

With that said, I want SW to continue to be a healthy and growing company to support my addictions here.

Blog Entries
    Plenty of examples of companies making stupid decisions in marketing and interacting with their customers over the last year.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    With that said, I want SW to continue to be a healthy and growing company to support my addictions here.
    ^ ^ This right Here! ^ ^
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    As far as we know and have been told, we will continue to be able to sell official D&D 5E products even after the 2024 products release. We have been told that they intend to continue our relationship and they want customers to have options on where they want to play. That said, things can always change.

Our license does specifically allow us to maintain copies on our server to support customer purchases even if WOTC decided to discontinue our license. This was something I was adamant about when I first signed the contract with them and with all other publishers that we work with.

And it was one of the huge selling points for me with SmiteWorks and FGU, I don't have to worry about my purchases becoming obsolete due to a change in climate.

This 100%.

I moved to FGU after using my previous VTT for 18 years, the last 6 of them as ghost-ware after the company closed down.

The reason I chose Smiteworks for our current VTT is that I know I can continue to use the software for the foreseeable future. Measured in decades.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Quote Originally Posted by anstett View Post
    I moved to FGU after using my previous VTT for 18 years, the last 6 of them as ghost-ware after the company closed down.
    OpenRPG?

No we used KloOge for all those years.

Was Java based so system agnostic which is what we needed. Plus XML for data sets made for straightforward data sets for all the various automations.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Thread Information