5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

[Extension] Highlight particularly good or bad rolls

Hello everyone!

I made a little extension for my own use, but maybe you will find value in it for your games too.

I use homebrewed effects that trigger when the roll is above or below the target number by 5. E.g. a special attack that, when hits monster AC+5, can also daze it, or when saving throw is failed by 5 or more, the inflicted condition becomes even nastier. It is tedious to sqint at the tiny text in the chat and do math for every roll, so I automated this check. With this extension you can set up a threshold, and when a roll in a certain category (attack|save|skill) exceeds or falls below the target number by the specified value you will see additiona icon in the chat and a message that threshold [X] is exceeded, without specifying by how much. You can check the screenshots attached to see how it looks.

It may be useful to make successes and failures more visible, then just set success threshold to 0 and failure - to 1. You can also use it for emulating Pathfinder 2ed critical hits/misses mechanics by setting the thresholds to 10. Even though it will not make a hit into a critical automatically, at least not in the initial version.

If you are interested, you can find more details and instructions in the forge

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's cool. Thanks for sharing with the community!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Looks good but it appears to have some conflicts with Requested Rolls.

Hi, thanks for letting me know, I checked Requested Rolls code but I could not immediately see, what can be wrong. Could you provide more context regarding what's happening? I don't use Requested Rolls myself, so I'm not familiar with usage scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by illahad View Post
    Hi, thanks for letting me know, I checked Requested Rolls code but I could not immediately see, what can be wrong. Could you provide more context regarding what's happening? I don't use Requested Rolls myself, so I'm not familiar with usage scenarios.
    Sure. When the staged rolls is on it throws the following error after I approve the roll (screen s1).
    [10/13/2023 5:14:48 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "illahad-TnDifference:..pts/TnDifference.lua"]:142: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'nTotal' (a nil value)

And it throws the same error without staging (screen s2).

In both cases I sent the player a skill check on history. Option settings in screen s3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nephranka; October 13th, 2023 at 10:21.

Thank you for the detailed response. I think I fixed this problem, it seems the reason was not in interaction with the Requested Rolls, but with the handling of manual input. Anyway, I tried it locally and it worked, so please check for updates to get the version 1.0.1 and you should be fine. Feel free to post if you encounter any other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by illahad View Post
    Thank you for the detailed response. I think I fixed this problem, it seems the reason was not in interaction with the Requested Rolls, but with the handling of manual input. Anyway, I tried it locally and it worked, so please check for updates to get the version 1.0.1 and you should be fine. Feel free to post if you encounter any other problems.
    Looks to be working now. I will report back if I find anything else. Thanks!

Hi, could this be modified to add an extra check to Attacks? I currently use rules that give bonuses on attacks over 5 AC and over 10 AC so having an option to set both of those should be better than just one, if possible. Thanks!

Hello, thank you for the interest to my extension!

Checking for two thresholds is easy to implement, but I'm not sure how to make it convenient to set up and avoid cluttering the options too much. I will give it a thought though.

Thread Information