FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

So my worst fear came true with the update

I watched the stream when the WoD update was announced and demonstrated, and there was so so so much to be excited about. But - as always - there was that one thing that Smiteworks never does right.

The SPC sheets.

They are awful. Just going to say it.

The fact that skills are missing from them, means that endless hours of work has been lost. I cannot describe how inadequate I feel the SPC sheets are. I think I am going to have to start up my labtob, which has a recent copy of my campaign and not update. Because that is the only way I can find all the skills I made for the many many many SPC's I've populated my campaign with.

I can't even see how to easily add skills to SPC sheets. They don't drag and drop that is for sure. Nothing does, as far as I can see.

I guess I will have to remake 100+ SPC's as characters or something.

I am very so down right now. I have so so much work flushed down the drain and no easy fix. And I was kind of expecting it. Why is it that SPC sheets made by Smiteworks all follow the bloddy D&D statblock layout? Why? This isn't D&D. This isn't monster bashing simulator. This ia about creating an environment and people that inhabit it. The ruleset has other needs!!!

The previous Vampire author knew that. For all the faults of that ruleset, he got that right.

I love Smiteworks and all you do. The ruleset seem to run much smoother now. And it seems to have a lot of new cool stuff. I just can't.. will you for once learn from other rulesets than D/D? Look at previous WoD rulesets. The Genesys ruleset... They are better than this!!!

As far as I am concerned, this ruleset is far from finished.

Skills and Exceptional Pools are handled by typing out the pool amount.

Example:
    Athletics 4
    or
    Athletics (Jumping) 4

They are separated by commas.

The logic behind the change is:
    * The GM won't have to do too many mouse clicks to setup a NPC and just type (or copy/paste) the information they want in there to roll.
    * Handles the varying styles of NPC stat blocks I saw with all the published material that was provided to me
    * Old campaigns should convert when attempting to access them and setup the data to the current design. So those NPCs should be available with the new design.

You can also copy the campaign prior to loading it to test the last point.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I respectfully disagree with you design philosophy.

Old campaigns should convert when attempting to access them and setup the data to the current design. So those NPCs should be available with the new design.
    They don't. Not a single one has the skills they should have.

Please set up a way to download the campaign and I'll have a look.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

My campaign carried over, and looks good so far. I've only run into a couple issues: One is the chat window doesn't seem to wrap properly. The other issue I've come across thus far is some formatting issues in the SPC sheets. I'm including pictures of a couple Backgrounds to illustrate what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pralix1138; September 18th, 2023 at 23:48. Reason: clarification

Honestly... it doesn't matter. I understand you made the ruleset the way you did for a reason, and that's not going to change. So I am going back to how I did it in MoreCore and just use charactersheets for everything. So I have to redo everything anyways.

But I hope you can understand why I am upset. I have literally hundreds of hours of work in several campaigns, using a ruleset I specifically bought, because it was NOT "the standard Smiteworks design". And now I don't have that anymore....

I just want to say, that I don't understand one thing. The one person that needs all the functionality / drag/drop stuff the most, is the storyteller. Why you wouldn't make SPC's just as easy to work with, for the one person that will do the most work and need it most.... is just... I don't understand it.

I am not a coder. And for sure the old ruleset was slow as could be. But it had what I wanted....

It's late here and I am going to bed. I am sure will get to love all the new stuff. I love you all, and sorry for being disappointed.

The design matches many of the stat blocks I saw in published materials. I design around that material, so that it is quick and easy to get into the campaign. I did not design it based on the D&D design. The published stat blocks are presented in this design and I tried to replicate it. There will be changes based on making functionality smoother and keeping with the generic nature of the ruleset. I'm sorry you are not happy with the approach, but drag and drop hasn't been a common trait with NPC records as long as I have used the platform. As with any feedback, I do take it into consideration on expansion and can add in some helpful processes to speed it up as I did with the green add buttons seen on the character sheet. I thank you for the report and have it in my notes to look at when I see more feedback.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    Honestly... it doesn't matter.
    If something's supposed to work and it's not, then please help the FG devs to address by providing an example campaign. There may be a misunderstanding on how it is supposed to work, or there may be an actual technical issue that you can help fix.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If something's supposed to work and it's not, then please help the FG devs to address by providing an example campaign. There may be a misunderstanding on how it is supposed to work, or there may be an actual technical issue that you can help fix.
    Since it doesn't fix the underlying issue for me, I would rather just move on. However, there are other fairly major bugs regarding moving things over, as I will outline in the bugs thread, that probably will necessitate this. I also want to investigate a little bit before I even did this. It might involve the Player Agency extension. Might help solve the bugs.

The design matches many of the stat blocks I saw in published materials. I design around that material, so that it is quick and easy to get into the campaign. I did not design it based on the D&D design. The published stat blocks are presented in this design and I tried to replicate it. There will be changes based on making functionality smoother and keeping with the generic nature of the ruleset. I'm sorry you are not happy with the approach, but drag and drop hasn't been a common trait with NPC records as long as I have used the platform. As with any feedback, I do take it into consideration on expansion and can add in some helpful processes to speed it up as I did with the green add buttons seen on the character sheet. I thank you for the report and have it in my notes to look at when I see more feedback.
    All your points are valid from your point of view. Personally I can't see why I should care what publishers do. And you are very right in the fact that drag and drop is not standard in FG in general (I mean.. the amount of time I spent in Vaesen trying to type out weapons and it not working because it actually was drag/drop... yikes!!!). I respectfully just want to point out that I am not talking about anything in general. I am talking about what I specifically had. What I purchased in the vampire ruleset. There I had those things. So it is objectively worse to work with as a storyteller.

I just wanted mini charactersheets like before and not a statblocks. I hate statblocks. You may have noticed! *wink* It was so nice and neat and beautiful, and I miss it.

I don't wanna keep going on this. This is merely a clash of styles and desires. It happens. I just hope you can respect why this something people are not happy about
    . Just.. .you know... ask Doug about how he feels about Unity right now. It's kind of the same... you bought into one thing. Now you got something else.... hi hi hi hi hi hi...

As mentioned I have run into a farily major issue with conversion. Will write in the bug thread about that.

And just to be clear. There are things that I absolutely LOVE about the new ruleset. Institution integration??? Am I in heaven??

If you could please provide the campaign that you were working on, then @superteddy57 can look at what didn't get migrated correctly and we can look at getting that moved over still. But, a copy of that campaign will be very helpful to help us refine the migration code.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information