DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Research extensions. Combat Groups for one does what your talking about but I'd REALLY recommend doing the research for yourself and watch videos etc. of all extensions that may do this sort of thing.
    I hear you man, I'm really new to this program and this forum has been spectacular to me in bringing me up to speed on how to use it. I appreciate the sentiment of searching on my own, but I'm not at all familiar if something like that for DnD works with RoleMaster, and I'm skiddish on loading something in to what has been working really well for me. My game and my players are important to me. I know I've asked some silly questions, but everyone has been really helpful in guiding me in the right direction and helping me to figure out issues I come across. I'll look into your suggestions when I can and I appreciate you showing them to me.

It could be my lack of knowledge of the ruleset but I am still pondering (based on what you are saying) whether you are fully grasping the power of encounters.

I create a new encounter and drag in let’s sat a Goblin. I change the number to 4. I then open my map and drag each of the little icons under the name and drop them on that map where I want them to be. I then create my story and link that map and the encounter to that story. I close it all up and I’m ready for play.

I open the CT and the players characters are already in it and have been since the characters were created. I open my story entry click on the links to open the map and the encounter and click on the place button to put the goblins onto the Ct and the map. I drag the green skull icon at the bottom of the CT to put all the players on the same map and arrange their tokens. I roll initiative and combat begins. As each goblin dies I delete them from the CT so that by the end of the encounter only the PCs are left. I then open my second story and do the same again.

If I am on the same map all I need do is add the next encounter; if it’s a different map I need to drag in the PCs.

Is it the fact that the PCs need to be placed on each new map that you have an issue with?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Research extensions. Combat Groups for one does what your talking about but I'd REALLY recommend doing the research for yourself and watch videos etc. of all extensions that may do this sort of thing. I'm only aware of my own as I like to have full control of what I run with (with very few exceptions not my own stuff - BCEG, AURA EFFECTS, EFFECTIVE INITIATIVE, NATURAL SELECTION, SOUNDS VLC, and TURBO currently being the "not me" ones - but I trust them to keep things updated). Personally - do your own - or look for free ones) - only look for paid as a last ditch resort and only after you have thouroughly read/watched/understood EVERYTHING about it. IMHO.
    Combat Groups is for 5E, it likely will not work for rolemaster without some modifications (unless you intend to update your extension to work with RMC ).

Please do be careful what you are recommending, especially for non-5e rulesets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It could be my lack of knowledge of the ruleset but I am still pondering (based on what you are saying) whether you are fully grasping the power of encounters.

I create a new encounter and drag in let’s sat a Goblin. I change the number to 4. I then open my map and drag each of the little icons under the name and drop them on that map where I want them to be. I then create my story and link that map and the encounter to that story. I close it all up and I’m ready for play.

I open the CT and the players characters are already in it and have been since the characters were created. I open my story entry click on the links to open the map and the encounter and click on the place button to put the goblins onto the Ct and the map. I drag the green skull icon at the bottom of the CT to put all the players on the same map and arrange their tokens. I roll initiative and combat begins. As each goblin dies I delete them from the CT so that by the end of the encounter only the PCs are left. I then open my second story and do the same again.

If I am on the same map all I need do is add the next encounter; if it’s a different map I need to drag in the PCs.

Is it the fact that the PCs need to be placed on each new map that you have an issue with?
    FYI, Encounters in RMC work like you described, it inherits from CoreRPG as far as I am aware. The NPCs have different stats of course, but encounters work exactly the same way.

I use Pins if there are multiple encounters in a single map (not typical for me though), that way I can quickly open the encounter, click add to CT, and move on with the encounter. Usually I'll pin the Story entry, then have the encounter linked in the story entry. I also link any relevant information (the tables linked here used to be necessary, but are no longer necessary, and I just have not bothered up update the module).

Here are some images as an example, this particular encounter is a trap, but the principle is the same for any encounter.

Open the Pin from the map and read any relevant text.

Open the Encounter from the story entry.

Since I pre-placed the trap when I created the encounter, when I click Add Encounter to Combat Tracker (the button at the bottom left of the encounter), it adds the Trap NPC to both the Combat Tracker and the Map.

Using encounters will do what you want, you just need to set them up ahead of time.

I just leave the PCs on the Combat Tracker at all times.
    You can move all of the PCs to a new map by using the Green head at the bottom of the CT.
    They will load into your new map based on the Party formation in the Party Sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungsarme View Post
    ... delete creatures from a previous encounter, drop in a new encounter, then maneuver the tokens onto the map..."
    You don't have to maneuver the NPC tokens onto the map. They will automatically populate wherever you initially placed them. If you are talking about having to maneuver the PC tokens (if it is a new map), then yes you do have to place them on the map, but you can drag them all at once - it literally takes 3 seconds.

Now thats what I'm talking about! Thank you both for your replies. Utilizing the story aspect was what was missing from my description and obviously what I was missing. I'm trying, I really am, that showed me what I was missing from my experience.

To be clear, when I looked at the story section of the UI, I saw that it was a nice tool to put things together as far as story progression into the interface as I can see with the prepopulated Green Gryphon Inn blurbs. I had no idea I could utilize that to put maps and encounters together to be able to pull up both with ease.

Utilizing the search forum tool, I had no idea what to even type in and search it on my own. "Search Forums > How do I prepopulate maps with encounters over several maps > search result, no posts found.

I hope this post serves as a way for new GMs to find what they are looking for a little easier, it's why I ask questions. Sulimo's post is gold for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Since I pre-placed the trap when I created the encounter, when I click Add Encounter to Combat Tracker (the button at the bottom left of the encounter), it adds the Trap NPC to both the Combat Tracker and the Map.
    I think this is where I'm struggling. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can make this work for me. I get the Add Encounter portion, I'm just missing something on the pre-placing when I create the encounter. My brain is fading for the night so I'll come back to it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Combat Groups is for 5E, it likely will not work for rolemaster without some modifications (unless you intend to update your extension to work with RMC ).

Please do be careful what you are recommending, especially for non-5e rulesets.
    My very bad - was this a rollmaster thing? Sorry missed that. 5e only is true. Though surely someone else has tackled this issue - I'd look around.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Here are some screen shots to help you.

First create a new Encounter, name it however you wish (I usually name it the same as the Story entry, but it can be called anything).

Either Right-click> Add New or press the Green + at the bottom right.

Open the NPCs next, choose whichever NPC you want and drag it to the Encounter Window.
    If you have a token assigned, it will show it in the encounter.
    Drag as many other creatures you want or change the number if they are all the same creature.

You can change the number of each item to whatever you need, additionally, change the faction by clicking on the empty field until it turns to a read head. You'll notice that it changes the number of icons under the creature to whatever number you have set it to, this will be important in a bit.
    There are three factions: Green - Friend; Yellow - Neutral; Red Hostile, there is also blank, but it has no functionality, so it's best not to leave it unassigned.

Note that the creatures are set to unidentified, if you wish them to be identified, click on the ID with the red line through it to change that to Identified.

Next open the image you are using for your encounter (a map or other image).
    For this example, I am just choosing one of the FG battle maps.

From there, you will drag and drop the tokens from the encounter to where you want them on the map. You will notice that as you drag and drop them, they will show Check Marks on the Encounter showing that they are placed. They will show as faded, as they are hidden by default (with Line of Sight, they will reveal themselves when the players tokens 'see' them).

Once you have set all of them (all of the NPCs show check marks), close the encounter. The tokens will disappear from the map, do not worry, this is normal.

You can drag the Red Iron Crown (in the upper left corner of the various windows) to a Story Entry to add a link to a Story. Then drag the Story link to the Map to create a pin (you can pin pretty much anything with those Red Iron Crowns).

When the PCs go to that room, click the Pin to open it, then open the Map and the Encounter and click Add Encounter to Combat Tracker, and it will place the tokens on both the CT and the Map where you originally placed them.

This is what it looks like when I click that button on the encounter I created.

From there you would run your encounter (combat rounds, etc.).

Thread Information