DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: DB question

DB question

I want to confirm I am reading the rules correctly. What is the Defensive Bonus of this character…
    - a +5 Quickness Bonus
    - a +5 magical normal shield
    - a +10 non-magical helm
    - a magical belt +5 DB
    - 4 rings which each grant +10 DB, 2 rings worn on each hand
    - a magical pendant +25 DB

Depending on if you want to limit the Office Space TGIF Flair look, many GMs limit 1 ring / hand.
    No hard rule about it but this is often a balancing rule in lots of other games.

otherwise…

Front: 110
    Shield Flank: 110
    Off Shield-side Flank: 80
    Rear(No Qu - Magic DB only): 75

Common House rule with only 2 rings usable…
    Front: 90
    Shield Flank: 90
    Off Shield-side Flank: 60
    Rear(No Qu - Magic DB only): 55

I also have the house rule of one ring per hand

I would have ruled only one magical DB bonus because the effects would conflict and over-write each other. And one shield plus one armor bonus (belts, helmets, shoes etc are all part of the same suit). Maybe I am being too stingy? I’d love other thoughts!

Yeah, you can definitely do a ‘highest only helps’ named Bonus and restrict even further.

Most folks compile those items over awhile, so the start of a Magic DB journey going overboard is a slow power creep one but we all love hoarding wealth from grinding!
    This is where GMs can still mess PCs up with Ambushes, etc. and not have to change NPC OBs much due to the eliminating of defences from such tactics.
    No Adrenal Defence if y’can’t detect/see the attack coming from Rear/Flanks or half AD from missile fire.
    Great for making Players sweat, LOL, but is a great teacher of RM Position boni making a difference against meat shields or über tanks.

Later on, as seen with the gear above, GMs do have to bump up the firepower of foes - not counting defensive spells when PCs are making their ‘General Perception’ checks while on guard duty…

Enjoy your other pending replies, too. Anyone else?

Personally, I think this breaks the campaign with a quickness. 1 ring per hand regardless of effect. I know I could technically have glasses of defense which grants a +10 DB. With the way you stated it, you have effectively removed the need for this character to ever parry or think about their defense. Doing something where highest bonus only counts, and anything else is overwritten will help you keep balance. If I have a fighter rocking an inherent +110 DB? Naw man... With your example I'd rule that a +50 DB. Quickness (+5), normal shield (+20), pendant (+25). You want to increase that defense, use some of that OB to parry.

Thread Information