STAR TREK 2d20

Details about Corporations

Doubling the question here from the Discord.

How does everyone handle Corporations inside of FG? Do you create them as NPCs? As Systems?

I want to make sure I am linking as much as I can on the NPC records. Cross link other NPCs, Ships, Homeworld, etc. I did a handful and then went to link the Corporation associated with them and paused.
    Thanks.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Freeform stuff like corporations can be done using story entries - they allow a lot of formatted text to be put in one record, including links to other records (images, NPCs, systems, etc.).

Or you could do something similar with the reference manual builder - which allows embedding of images, column text, etc.. However, whereas this can work as an area where GMs update during the campaign, it's primarily designed for creating reference manuals for modules - so if you're updating as you play, just keep in mind the limitations, primarily around player visibility and how to share with the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks.

I know to put all the parts together into a Reference Manual for the module to export.

Pondering if having details in Story form would allow Referees to use them easier in thier own games.

Sharing certain sections, others staying out of the Player's view. Like creating the NPC and Players not seeing the Notes section.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Without creating an extension to provide extra fields that would/could be hidden from the players, the simplest way to do that would be to have a Player facing story entry and a GM only story entry - I know it creates double entries for some cases, but that's probably going to be the simplest way without modifying ruleset code via an extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes I am thinking that will be better to use Stories.

There are some nice extensions on the Forge but I do not want to create a situation of being dependent on anything other than basic Core functionality.

www.islandkingdoms.org

I use the World builder in the Player Agency Extension for corporations and other factions
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/511/view

LSP.PNG

Thanks! I have that too, along with other note taking ones.

I am thinking that I should stick with not using extensions so that once completed and posted on the Forge it would only require the base book(s).

For example links to skills and equipment coming out of the Players book, system information coming out of the book that contains that system.

Linking rather than copying over the information directly for IP reasons.

For my own use I will be doing more work on them with other extensions but trying to make clean versions first.

It does look like Stories is the best way for a Referee to share out the publicly know parts of a Corporation, and then a separate story with just the Referee information. Combine them into the Reference Manual along with the images and NPCs.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Thread Information