DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Players vs Game Masters

I've noticed that there seem to be a lot more people looking for games to play than there are people running those games. But I haven't done an in-depth analysis of the number of players vs. the number of GMs.

What do you think the ratio of players to GMs is? Do you think it varies by rule set?

Personally, I'm thinking about getting back into GMing, which I last did decades ago. The only question is whether there will be enough people interested in actually playing to justify the investment. (No, I don't mean for paid games; but if I spend a lot of time and money and no one comes to play that would feel like a waste.)
    FredrikVladimir

Primarily looking for Mongoose Travellers 2e

Central Florida, USA

There are ALWAYS more players than GMs.

So yes dive back in and run a game that you enjoy. You will get players.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Blog Entries
    Players to DMs is probably 30:1.

Players to Good/Great DMs likely is at least double that.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I don't know what the true ratio is (though 30:1 sounds good) I know that if you advertise a game on this forum or on Discord you will get players. And if you do a good job you will have dedicated players who show up each session for the long haul. I've been playing since the 70's and it's always been true: not enough GM's!

Blog Entries
    Been years since I've recruited players, but there were never a shortage. Maybe for some of the less well known rulesets you might struggle, but probably not.

I still recommend you run a series of one-shots. It serves not only to get you back in the swing of things with minimal commitment, but it lets you interview the players so when you decide on starting a long term campaign you can go through your pool of 15 or 20 players and invite the ones you think will work best together and make a great group. Worked well for me ~6 years ago and we are still playing weekly now.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

My current group has been playing for over 2 years now and we all met on here. As a DM I basically have them fill out a short application, which is my first level of screening. If they can't be bothered by giving a few thoughtful answers then I know they probably aren't very invested in the game I am willing to DM.

For my games I have had anywhere from 10-15 applications for 5-6 spots. Most applications were very thoughtful and tough to screen some very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Players to DMs is probably 30:1.

Players to Good/Great DMs likely is at least double that.
    I would add that (based only on personal experience, so it's a very un-scientific statistic) the ratio of Players willing to commit to scheduled games/DMs is lower than the first rate, maybe 20:1

Still, the odds are still in the DMs favour. I'd follow LordEntrails advice about screening players with a series of one-shots.

Getting players as a DM isn’t that hard unless as others suggested it’s a more obsecure / less popular rule set. I know with 5e you generally will get more wanting to play than you have slots for.

But my concern is always about the QUALITY of player..and to not be misunderstood I’m not talking about TTRPG experience or knowledge. I mean are they reliable, will they cancel every three sessions, are they rude to other players, do they mic hog etc etc. in short o don’t want jerks or egos. I want people that just want to play d&d because they truly enjoy it.

You’d think it’s simple it’s not. When you get good players that’s gold appreciate them as such.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    Getting players as a DM isn’t that hard unless as others suggested it’s a more obsecure / less popular rule set. I know with 5e you generally will get more wanting to play than you have slots for.

But my concern is always about the QUALITY of player..and to not be misunderstood I’m not talking about TTRPG experience or knowledge. I mean are they reliable, will they cancel every three sessions, are they rude to other players, do they mic hog etc etc. in short o don’t want jerks or egos. I want people that just want to play d&d because they truly enjoy it.

You’d think it’s simple it’s not. When you get good players that’s gold appreciate them as such.
    *nods* This is why I'm committed to the one-shot approach. It's easy to do. There are always online cons, and game days and organized play you can volunteer to run games for. Take notes on the players. Then you know who to reach out to build your long term group

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information